Sony kdfe42a10 questions

Username: Aholdern

Post Number: 1
Just got a 42a10 and noticed a few interesting things.

When I turn the set on it takes a minute or two for the set to "brighten up". For the first minute the colors are really dark and the set is pretty dim overall. And when I turn it off it takes 15 seconds or so to turn off. Is this normal?

Also, my SD directv signal coming through s-video looks pretty bad...but I figured that is garbage in - garbage out....although I was expecting more. It replaces a 32 inch 4:3 tube tv that made the directv signal look pretty darn good...this new TV isn't that much bigger.

OTA-HD looks great of course...once the set warms up (which really concerns me...does everyone else with this set need it to warm up before the picture looks good?).

I think I am happy with the set but am wondering if I should have spent the extra $500 or so to get a 42 inch plasma.

Bronze Member
Username: Jimkw

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 100
I have the 52A10 and mine takes time to warm up and to turn off also. Pretty sure that's normal. It takes especially long when I accidently hit the power buttong to turn it off and turn it back on immediately. As far as picture, I would suggest going either component video cables (red, green and blue) or even better HDMI. S-Video is not as good as either one of these. With Directv you should have component for sure. I have the HD Tivo box and use HDMI. You are right the OTA is the best.

Hard to tell you if the $500 would be well spent for plasma or not. Make sure you get the most out of what you got first. I think plasma would look even worse using S-Videa.

Bronze Member
Username: 514329

Post Number: 54
I bought the Sony KDF E50A10 ( no 52A10 only 55A20) for $1920.00 from BB and their 400 disc DVP-CX995V for $199.00 from CC all brand new in the box for my wife and it does take a while to brighten up too but once it does, amazing. I have watch Gladiator so many times and never seen it this good through HDMI. totally jaw dropping on this RPTV set. so I was hoping their 55A20 would be the same but I was dissapointed but I chance upon their last year model KDF60XS955 at CC brand new for $2670.00 & free delivery so just return the 50' to BB. wife very happy.

Bronze Member
Username: Suds2005

Post Number: 11
Anyone have any tweaks to get the analog picture better? Mine is cable and the HD is awsome but analog sucks.

komah
Unregistered guest
I had Cox come out today and replaced all old cable with new and installed an inline amp. It improved all the channels to the best it can be. Still no comparison to HD or DVD, but I can live with it.

BD
Unregistered guest
I have the 42A10 and while generally happy, have to agree with disappointment over the 'quality' of the picture using S-Video... really think the coax is giving be a better image.
I've read a few review of this set that indicate Sony's settings from the factory are not the best and that through use of menus you can find screens to properly calibrate the video image.
Guess I'm off to read the manual... oh how I hate that!

Unregistered guest
SOLUTION to the non-HD crappy picture. I just upgraded to DirecTV's HD service. Get the H-20 unit, it has the upgraded MPEG-4 software and through the end of FEB it's FREE with a $200 rebate. The picture improvement from my standard DirecTV receiver is amazing and not just for the HD channels, for everything. I've got an HDMI cable on the way and that should improve the picture even more. I read somewhere that these new TVs don't know how to interpret the noise you get with S-video cables and that's why the picture sucks. You have to use either component or HDMI.

GLE
Unregistered guest
For those of you with the DTV HD-20 and the Sony KDFE42A10, any way to get the Sony remote to operate the DTV receiver? I tried all the codes but nothing works. Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Jimkw

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 110
I called both Sony and DirecTV and could not get the TV remote to work the DTV. If you find a code that will work share it with the rest of us. I don't think you are going to get it to work though. I go the DTV remote to work most of what I want to do on the TV though, and that's the remote I use the most for just watching TV. I have a Sony universal remote for use when I'm switching to DVD and back to TV. It works everything.

GLE
Unregistered guest
Aw, that's a bummer. I just called Sony myself and they confirmed that there is no code for that receiver and no way to "scan" for a code that will work. Oh well...thanks for the info!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us