Sony KP-41T65 died...

Username: Jan7

Post Number: 1
My countertop projection tv(Sony KP-41T65) died today, but before it did the screen was reduced to a dimming green and blue spots followed by a very nasty burnt smell, like sulfur.
I quickly unplugged it and let it sit for awhile.
I later plugged it back in only to smell the smell again along with a pulsing thump sound coming from the unit.

Any ideas? I removed the back cover and searched with a flashlight to see if there were any obvious signs of damage, which there wasn't.

thanks,
jan

Username: Dog5656

Leesburg, FL

Post Number: 1
I bought a PT-52LCX65 on 11/25/05 from the Navy Exchange for $1,900 after rebates. It has the TY-LA1000 bulb. I have a total of 45 days to take it back for full refund including the 4 yr warranty ($69.99). After reading this site I think it has to go back.

What HDTV of at least 50" would be the choice for a do over?

Username: Dog5656

Leesburg, FL

Post Number: 3
Just called the warranty plan for the NEX and they do not cover the bulb. Guess the set is going back. What a pain...

Username: Jan7

Post Number: 2
I understand your apprehension, it's a lot of money for a limited time of use, but all big screens are like that. Sorta comes with the territory.
I'd be more fearful of the lcd/plasma style TVs that are several thousands of dollars and don't have replaceable lamps.

My Sony KP-41T65 lasted about 5 1/2 yrs of daily use, approx 8 hrs a day.
I got a deal on it back in 12/99, it was $910 new.
Luckily I still have my old Sony 32" XBR from 1990 in the spare room, so I replaced the projection tv with "old faithful", knock wood.

In the L/R, we have a 43" Toshiba Cinema Series that I bought about the same time as the 41" Sony.
It cost around $300 more than the Sony, but it's picture is absolutely beautiful, much nicer than the sony ever was.
I think I'll probably cry when that set dies.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us