Splitting/Amplifying Cable before HD box

HD user
Unregistered guest
Hi guys. I've come here for advice before and would appreciate some more. I searched for my questions but couldn't find so I appolagize if this has been answered before. Keep in mind that I just spent an hour mostly on hold with Shaw Cable, spoke with 5 different people and not sure I got good info from them.

This is my situation.

I have a Motorola HD digital box sold to me by Shaw. I would like to split the cable before it reaches the box.

1. To the HD box

2. Direct to TV so my daughter can get the cartoons without using the box.

3. To the VCR so I can tape the non-digital channels while watching a different channel.

4. To the radio for FM cable.

5. I run a 100' cable to the back bedroom TV.

I have a Radio Shack 1:4 splitter/amplifier but am worried about sending an amplified signal to the HD box. The Amp is a Recoton 4 output UHF/VHF/FM 10dB amplifier.

My alternatives seem to be: Cable to amp, then feed everything from that. OR: Split the signal before it gets to the amp, run one signal to the HD box and the other to the amp then feed everything else from the amp.

The second is what I am leaning toward and what was suggested by Shaw. Any advice would be appreciated.

Second question is also something that I have already asked a tech at Shaw but wouldn't mind a second opinion:

From the HD box I run direct component cables to my TV. My S-VHS VCR player has S-Video inputs (no componant). Will it damage the HD box to utilize the componant output and S-Vid output at the same time? The tech said no problem but I was told in the past that using both outputs will degrade the signal.

Thanks in advance and I hope this makes sense.

Unregistered guest
Maybe I can help....
Place the amplifer you have (if it is Bi-directional) as close to the cable TV's entry to your home. The amplifier is NOT (2-way or bi-directional none of this will work. Put the 4-way splitter (-7dB loss) on the output of the amplifier.... Feed all the devices in your home all will be great.... Remember without the cable box you will NOT see the digital channels....To explain the Bi-Directional amplifer... The HD Converter is always "Talking" back and forth to its controller at the cable tv office.. If you amplifer does not allow two way (bi-Directional) communications the HD converter will eventually shut down. If your amp is not two way, I sell new ones on my eBay store just search for HOME NETWORKING DEPOT and go to the amps. Hope this Helps.. Merry Christmas...

Nat Kraft
Unregistered guest
"Split the signal before it gets to the amp, run one signal to the HD box and the other to the amp then feed everything else from the amp."
This method works best if you have a cable modem or HD box that has trouble talking back through an amp. Note: use a tap not a splitter before the amp. Then, after the tap, use an amplified 4 way splitter. If you don't have a cable modem and your HD box does not have trouble talking back, then the method by S Brazil works great.
On second question,I've not noticed any degration using multiple outputs from box.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us