HDMI / HDCP problems with SA8300 and a HDMI receiver (plus TWC NY's stupidity)

PinNYC
Unregistered guest
Boy am I frustrated and annoyed with HDCP incompatibilities and especially Time Warner Cable's (NY) stupidity and rudeness about dealing with the problem.

So to minimise the cabling behind the back of my unit and the fact I have a HDMI capable Denon receiver and a HDMI capable TV (Sharp), I decided to upgrade to the SA8300 DVR. Only to find on installation day that I get the "Your TV isn't HDCP compliant so please use the component outputs".

If I connect the SA box directly to the TV, all works fine, but via the receiver I get the message above on the TV.

After ringing around a number of places including Sharp and Denon support as well as reading up on some excellent forums (including this one!), it seems that SA have not implemented the HDMI HDCP (encryption / content protection) specification correctly.

When using a receiver to switch HDMI signals, they implement part of the standard called a HDCP repeater that enables the receiver to pass the authentication request to the end point (in this case, my TV). The TV sends the HDCP response back to the receiver, and it in turn sends it back to the SA box. However, because SA have not implemented the HDMI HDCP standard correctly, it does not understand how to process it and displays the HDCP error message.

Along with this information, I attempted to contact TWC in NY to find out when they are going to provide an update to the boxes. The person I spoke to was quite adamant that the boxes do support HDMI correctly after I thought HDMI was not working correctly. I told her what I had found out and that it looked like it didn't.

Again I was told that the information I had was wrong and there was nothing amiss. After running through my problem (again) I started getting a bit frustrated and explained that I paid the extra money for this feature and could not utilise it. She told me that she had nothing further to add as I was arguing with her that HDMI was not implemented correctly when according to her and TWC, it is.

I asked when a fix would be available and said she has no dates for when an update would be (quite obvious they know it is a problem!).

So my question to you all is, how many of you are experiencing this and is anyone aware of a fix to this problem?

Cheers,

P.

Silver Member
Username: Cuylar

Burnsville, MN USA

Post Number: 166
lol. yeah. no more need for rants on here tho. no fixes are out yet for anyone. i have a couple things you can try. email me if you want. joechat@hotmail.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us