$1000 television

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 455
i am willing to spend a thousand on a new television, i know there arent many choices (big screen of course) but i cannot decide between the few. i need suggestions, but i would like at least a 42".
so far i have found a 50" JVC from walmart (1000), a 51" magnavox from walmart ($799 sale), and a toshiba 46H84 ($660 off www.discountelectronics.citymax.com). i know the toshi is the best deal but im a little sceptical cuz the price.
other suggestions welcome too thanks

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 323
The important thing is how the set looks to YOU.

Get the model numbers, GOOGLE around with those numbers... See if you can find some reviews... ratings on reliablity, etc.

One thing to keep in mind in case you get "last -years-model" is you take the risk that IF service is needed.. you might have to "wait' a while for parts.

On a Toshiba about 4 years ago it took me 9 months to finally get a "working set". Read some of the details here, allot of details left out... by the time everything was said and done I probably had 100++ hours plus (or more!!!) "invested": https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=474384#POST474384

On the other hand, if you get a "new" model.. and it needs service sometimes parts are SLOWWWWW to arrive since the mfg is putting all the new parts it gets in "shipping" product. The "hotter" the item the worse this issue seems. (Translation, All the parts are going to the assembly line if it's a "hot" item.)

Consider SHIPPING COSTS also.. that can run you some bucks, especially if it a CRT based set since they weigh alot... Buy it local and you've save the shipping.

Another factor, or something to check into is to "ask around" at your local repair shops... to see if they prefer or dislike one brand /model over another.

PS: I'd check out COSTCO... (over Sam's, or Wally mart) with Costco there's no reason to buy an EW, unlike the others.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us