DVR HDD issues

ihatefreakincomcast
Unregistered guest
ok just wondering if anyone knows about this. been having probs with the Motorola DVR from Comcast. Now, what happens is I have a power surge or whatever you want to call it. The power blinks out for a second, literally, then comes back. Not sure what that is, so... anyway, the people at comcast swear that this should be no problem, as the DVR has a battery backup, right? Wrong. this has happened three times now, when the "surge" occurs the DVR memory is wiped, it's functions are gone, or like this last time, it records shows, but we cannot access them. recorded shows list will not display. now I have gotten assurances from Comcast that they will come and change it yet again, for free. My questions are this,1) is there something that I can do with this one to get back functionality?2) does the fact that the hole I unfortunatly live in is bereft of grounded electrical outlets have anything to do with this issue? 3)if 2 is a problem is there a fix that I can implement since my slumlord won't pay for any upgrading of this apart.? The last time this happened and I had them come to replace the box, they regrounded the cable wire to my fusebox so I thought this would not be a problem anymore. anyone with info is invited to reply, but this will be moot by Dec. 10th at latest. I will have called and gotten a service appointment by then. Especially since when I first reported this issue to Comcast I told them I was thinking about a switch to dish. That got their attention ha ha. Oh and tried the unplug thing, I never turn it off,uhh what else? Oh the tech i spoke with at Comcast told me that the newest system/menu/guide interface upgrade they just installed may be part of the problem!!!! Excuse me? He told me that they had received several complaints and that a company memo/flag in their files mentioned this as a possible reason for the problem... oooookkk sounds odd I know, but this guy was way interested in keeping me as a customer since I pay 137 freakin dollars for cable/internet access, so he was telling me things he probably shouldn't have ha ha. So anyway anybody with info is appreciated. Tired of having Comcast come out here and "fix" things or replace things just to have them die again.. thank you

Heros
Unregistered guest
it sounds like a power surge protector will eliminate the power outage problem.
that way it will keep the land voltage constant
Grounding is a must in any satlelite installation.
so is electrical outlets.If lamblord does not budge perhaps if someone got electricuted then it will get him thinking.just a thought.Software issues are the last source.
good luck

ihatefreakincomcast
Unregistered guest
ha ha thats what i thought i wouldn't mind an electricution act but i want to know if there is a way to ground out the plug/box if the plug isn't grounded can i just run a ground wire from the outlet to the ground out back or what?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us