What size Battery Back-Up for JVC HD-ILA fan?

Username: Warrenfr

Clinton, NJ USA

Post Number: 4
I've noticed that several people hear have plugged their D-ILA sets into UPS units to protect the lamp against brown/black outs. I would like to do the same for my HD-52G886 and was wondering if those who have can recommend an appropriate capacity/unit to purchase? Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 932
You should look for something in the 450 to 500va range. You can find them for under $100. I have used this one for my HD52z575 for over a year now...
http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4551147?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Username: Warrenfr

Clinton, NJ USA

Post Number: 5
Thanks a lot, Mr. Lynch. I'll pick one up this weekend.
Any chance you could send me the service manual for the JVC HD-52G886? I am getting a TUN: NG9 message and switching to my "TV" input locks the entire unit up requiring an unplug. I'd like to see if the service manual explains a reset of the inputs. Much appreciated. frederickwarreniii@yahoo.com.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 539
Mr. Lynch,
Good to see you're still around.
One thing that has always confused me a little about UPS units is whether they provide as good surge protection as a good quality dedicated surge protector.

I am also wondering just how much damage shut-down would cause to the bulb. I know these things run hot, and lack of cool down can't be good for them. But I am fortunate to live in an area where power outages are rare, and I am inclined to gamble.

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 320
John,

The average house has like 40- 80 voltage spikes per day from everything to lighting to dirty power when they are switching on /off power stations as the load changes (when people come home from work for example.. The load changes)

Besides spikes, you have OVER VOLTAGE, And UNDER VOLTAGE (brown-outs) the voltage constantly fluxuating... which a "good" quality surge protector does nothing.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 540
So now I need a line conditioner and a UPS?

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 939
Every UPS I have seen has built in surge protection. The one I use has 2 Battery backup surge protected jacks, and 4 standard surge protected jacks.

I've never been much of a line conditioner fan. They are insanely expensive and I think the benefits are overrated. Electronics today are built to tolerate the average variances in your power supply. If you live in an area with frequent black/brown outs they could be beneficial. Some people say they are snake oil and others swear by them.

Maybe someone with good knowledge can answer that one.

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 335
John S,

I'd concur with what Mr Lynch said above.. Line conditioners are insanely expensive.

Go with a decent UPS and don't worry about it. They filter (condition), and provide overvoltage and undervoltage protection.

I've got my stuff plugged into a 3,000 watt rack mount Compaq /APC UPS.... No problems.
The UPS orginally designed for telephone /computer switching stations that operate 24/7... used by banks on their servers, etc... Data senstive stuff.. so for a TV, or anything else so far as "electronics" it should be "ok"... have another one in the computer room, and another , a 240 volt input model...

Only downside to a "big-one" like the ones I have is a battery pack is going to run $300 -$450...

In addtion I have a APC 1400 pro... Trashed the battery pack in that one last week so I'm thinking about hooking that one up to (2) 900amp truck batteries that I need to keep a trickle charge on anyways... killing two birds with one stone to to speak... The only downside to that being the batteries aren't "sealed"... and the charging circuit will probally freak out.. from being "upgraded" from (2) 12v 18amp @ hour to (2) 12v 900 amp hour. (@24 volt) As long as I do the intial charge they should be OK, concerned about a deep discharge though...

Upside: I would think I would be able to watch "tv" for a long time on that APC 1400 with the 900 amp battery set-up :-) :-) :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us