LCoS Technology

Username: Dzjunction

Post Number: 3
are there any major downsides to LCoS?

from my research, all of these companies are dropping them in favor of DLP and LCD.... but each of those have major issues....

i think DLP was going to be the best for me, but the rainbow effect just kills.....

LCoS seems to be solid without side effects..

and JVC is the only one making them pretty much, and i hear they have nothing but bulb issues..

can anyone shed some more light on this?

im just really afraid of buying a DLP and having to live with the rainbow everytime i turn my head, just to find out a year or 2 from now, they have removed that issue....

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 298
The LAMP issues "may" be from a batch of bad lamps instead of a design flaw. Time will time.

I think SONY is making, or gearing up for a LCos set... I read somewhere both JVC and SONY sourcing the light engine from the same vendor.

RandyM
Unregistered guest
Early LCOS sets had poor color temp tracking with time and poor color temp uniformity across the screen.

socyl
Unregistered guest
Sony now has awesome lcos sets called SXRD. Beats out lcd and dlp with a true 1080x1920.

Username: Dzjunction

Post Number: 5
yes,

they are mighty expensive though....

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 534
The "LC" in LCoS is liquid crystal, so these two methodologies are very similar. Light shines through an LCD panel while light is reflected off an LCoS panel. Because of the inability of a liquid crystal to completely block light passing through it, LCD TVs, whether direct-view panels or rear projection screens, will always lack true blacks. Theoretically then, the crystals will block more reflected light than transmissive light, so LCoS has an advantage in this regard. This is important because true black level is essential to a first-rate picture, and because lack of true blacks is the Achilles' heel of all fixed-pixel TVs, regardless of type.

Both the JVC D-ILA and the Sony SXRD video systems are LCoS technology. Specific models from both companies have their drawbacks, just as do other TVs in the sub-$5000 market. I would suggest you take some time to research both these sets, as well as keeping an open mind on other possibilities, namely DLP. My guess is the Sony KDS-R60XBR1 will edge out the JVC 61Z886, considering the Sony's much greater native resolution which, in part, enables state of the art TV performance.

The JVC, on the other hand, represents an excellent value for around a $1000 less, imo.

Silver Member
Username: Xdrummer03

Tenessee

Post Number: 149
To correct above. SXRD is 1920 x 1080.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 474
Great post, John!

I agree! I just don't like Sony's customer service. They have stepped up to cover some expensive failed panels in their RP LCD sets. It seems that customers have to press them hard for it and eat the labor if out of warranty. I read that they still have not found and corrected the problem either, which continues in their A10 and A20 sets.

The Sony SXRD LCOS, while a different technology, is too new to know anything about possible issues. LCOS is using an iris or shutter closing technology during dark scenes to improve their black levels.

DLP is the only fixed pixel technology with true blacks. The 1080P sets have stunning picture quality. I just wish they would impliment the light prism and 3 chip design into RPTVs like they have on the high end front projection units.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 936
Check out the latest issue of "The Perfect Vision". http://www.theperfectvision.com/

The new JVC 720p "Big, bright and beautiful" is right on the cover and review inside, and the Sony SXRD is reviewed as the best looking set they have every seen. Great color, blacks and a True 1080p picture, not like the DLP mind trick (wobulation).

If you can afford it, you can't beat the SXRD, but for thousands less the 1080p JVC is also a good bet.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us