I've bought a new DVD recorder and need help

Username: Samjones

Post Number: 1
I've recently made the move to DVDs. I've used VCRs for years and my primary use was to record one channel while viewing another. So far, with my DVD recorder, I have been able to record only the channel I'm watching -- which defeats the purpose. I've heard references to a "dual-tuner" DVD recorder. Is that what's required? I've looked for them and have been completely unsuccessful. Maybe I've been asking the wrong questions.

Using a VCR was not difficult. My signal path was from the cable to the cable box to the VCR to the TV. It was simple to record one channel while watching another. The only exception to that was if I wanted to watch or record a "scrambled" channel, i.e. HBO or CineMax. If I wanted to record a scrambled channel while watching something else, my viewing was restricted to the lower numbered channels.

I'd appreciate any information I can get. Perhaps I've got the boxes set up incorrectly. . . ? And maybe the DVD just won't do what the VCR used to do. As I said, I'd appreciate any info that might help.

Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1930
Split the incoming cable to the recorder and the box, then connect the box to the recorder with s-video or RCAs. Connect the coax from the recorder to the TV for watching and recording. Use the line input to record from the box, and the tuner for unscrambled channels.

Username: Samjones

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the explanation. It'll be a day or 2 before I have a chance to try it.

Unregistered guest
Just purchased the Ilo DVDR 05 and can't for the soul of me get to the setup. I'm trying to connect dirctv, surround sound, cd player and tv. but with everything off but the dvd recorder and tv I am unable to find the setup screen on any tv channel.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1939
You have to connect to the TV with component, s-video or RCAs, then set the TV on whatever input you used. DVD recorders don't output through the RF connection, they only pass the incoming signal.

laugh1980
Unregistered guest
I want to transfer my VHS home movies to DVD. I just googled it looking for info and ended up here. What would be the best equipment to buy? What type of DVD's do I use? I have VHS and 8mm tapes to transfer...is there equipment that will do both types? Is there a place I can go to gather the information myself? HELP!

Unregistered guest
just brought a samsung vcr dvd recorder and it works fine but the dvd's i burn will not play right in my other dvd player i first used memorex dvd-r 16 x 4.7gb 120 min and when i played them in my other player it would not ff or rw and then it would lock up, i then used maxell dvd-r 8x /4.7gb 2hrs and the same thing happen any help would be good

Bronze Member
Username: Edwarl

Melbourne, Victoria Australia.

Post Number: 41
Did you go through a 'finalise'- or similar - operation when finished recording ?

Bronze Member
Username: Edwarl

Melbourne, Victoria Australia.

Post Number: 42
To Laugh1980. That's a pretty big answer required!
Any DVD 'Recorder' will record, or 'burn' -usually a PC term - your tapes as long as they have only 'home made' subject material.
Whether you use - or + and what brand, it would be better for you to buy current magazines and follow the reviews. Hopefully they should be independant reviws, not a sales pitch !
It's all a bit trickey so be prepared for a learning curve. Maybe a local tech school or merchant may run a course, or similar.
Good luck - it's worth doing.

Unregistered guest
CAN U PLS HELP ME...
WHAT DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DVD-R/RW AND DVD+R/RW?
HOW TO USE DVD+R/RW AND WHAT'S THE MEANING OF (DVD+R(DOUBLE)/DVD-RW(VR MODE)?
HOW TO FINALIZE?
WHEN I DELETING THE TITLE IN CHAPTER TRACK1 ,WHY I CAN'T PLAY BACK THE TRACK 1 SONG AGAIN?THE SCREEN SHOWS BLACK BLANK SCREEN? pLS.. plS.. KINDLY HELP ME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Unregistered guest
CAN U PLS HELP ME...
WHAT DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DVD-R/RW AND DVD+R/RW?
HOW TO USE DVD+R/RW AND WHAT'S THE MEANING OF (DVD+R(DOUBLE)/DVD-RW(VR MODE)?
HOW TO FINALIZE?
WHEN I DELETING THE TITLE IN CHAPTER TRACK1 ,WHY I CAN'T PLAY BACK THE TRACK 1 SONG AGAIN?THE SCREEN SHOWS BLACK BLANK SCREEN? pLS.. plS.. KINDLY HELP ME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

javie_g
Unregistered guest
i just bought a memorex dvd burner but it wont play dvds
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us