What RP for use as PC monitor?

Anonymous

I'm looking at buying an HDTV to use with my HTPC. I have DVI, VGA and SVHS outputs on the HTPC (on a Radeon 9700), a DVI to component adaptor is available as well.

Looking for a set which will work as a PC gaming monitor and support fairly high resolution for web-surfing (at least 1024x768).

I saw a Toshiba 44HM85 for cheap at Futureshop but I remember reading about sound-sync issues...

Anyone have any experience or advice concerning this?

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 466
Sound sync isn't an issue with computer gaming on the blue VGA input. Just make sure the set has a VGA input. DVI isn't really supported.
All formats are supported with the right video drivers.

tho_x_tran
Unregistered guest
Yeah. Look for a set with VGA (PC) input. Most if not all can support XGA mode (1024x768) and this is all progressive scan. The HDTV picture looks stunning. I have a ($65) Sapphire Radeon 9550 256 MB graphic card hooked to my Panasonic PT-43LC14 via its VGA port and I have a ATI HDTV Wonder card in the PC. The HDTV broadcast looks stunning even when signal strength is just around 80%. Never had sound-sync issue, no picture cropping either. And of course it serves as a PVR (Tivo) at the same time, only way way better. Now I watch DVD via my PC as well. At a resolution of 1024x768 who needs a $100 HDMI cable and an upscale DVD player ?
The ATI remote control has plug-ins software that can control PowerDVD, WinDVD and many more and can remotely shutdown the computer as well. PC are really cheap these days, it is way better to replace a TiVo.

Bronze Member
Username: Videobruce

Buffalo , NY

Post Number: 96
Sammy is suppose to be the 'PC' king to use as a monitor.

tho_x_tran
Unregistered guest
I have seen a Sammy from a friend, looks very nice. That'll be my next set when the pockets are big enough ;^P

Anonymous

I thought Samsung had terrible sound sync issues (regardless of how and what is connected to them)...?

WHat do you mean by DVI isn't really supported...?

tho_x_tran
Unregistered guest
I believe he meant the DVI for the PC input. Many graphic cards offer both DVI and VGA connector, not to mention S-VHS TV out as well. I have not seen any RP-HDTV used DVI for PC input. All use VGA for PC input.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 930
If you have HDCP compliant DVI output on your videocard, it will work with any HDMI input on a RP set. A DVI to HDMI cable is all you need.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 483
Some RPTV models warn against hooking up a pc to the DVI port. I don't really know why.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 934
FYI-

My JVC has a warning in the manual, but when I talked to them on the phone before trying anything they said "if it works, enjoy. The warning is there because we have not tested the TV for use with a PC."
Even the tech that came out he said he could not see how a PC would cause any problems.

If I was a PC gamer it would be an incredible way to play.

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 317
Mr Lynch,

Seems to me that it's sort of "stupid" for them to word the JVC D-ILA Z series, and G Series owners manuals the way they did.

They could say that we don't stand behind it so far as to "getting" it to work.. but assuming your card can output XYZ specs you should be able to get it to working:-)

How hard would it be for them to publish the specs the set is "looking" for?

I would assume someone at JVC (and the other mfg's as well) do know this IS 2005, almost 2006... and ALLOT of people ARE going to want to hook up their TV to a PC.

While I can understand the tech support issues, they could publish the specs...

1080p
Unregistered guest
The best for this, from what I've read, is the new HP set...accepts up to 1080p res (1920x1080) over HDMI to provide a full digital connection, and 1:1 pixel mapping at 1080p. Also accepts up to 1280x1024 via VGA, but the HDMI connectivity it provides makes VGA option pretty irrevelant. Provides option to set to computer color pallete as well.

They have 58" and 65" sizes. Tons of info in the AVS forum in their RP section.

tho_x_tran
Unregistered guest
JVC is not the only one who give warnings about hooking up PC DVI to the HDTV DVI or HDMI port, Toshiba says the same. I do not think it is a coincidence. I guess the best bet is find one with a VGA port or one who explicitly says it is OK to connect a PC to the DVI or HDMI.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us