JVC-56G786 Thing of Buyin One-Maybe

Username: Pherfect

Post Number: 1
Hello, I'm in the market to buy a JVC HD-56G786. But after reading about the "bulb" replacement issues that many people have had, I'm hesitant. I can pick one up locally for $2500. There seem to be other issues as well. First off, are there any people out there who have owned these sets for awhile and NOT had any problems? I need some encouragement. If I back out on the JVC, what would be the next best thing in the same price range?
Thanks, Chris

Username: Likegrouch

Post Number: 9
I'd stay away from JVC - read this https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/176314.html

Post Number: 2
I went to the retailer today to compare the JVC picture with the Samsung DLP and Hitachi, which happened to be on either side of the JVC. The JVC by far had the better picture. I figure that the brightness has alot to do with it.
I related the problems associated with the JVC to the salesman, and he said JVC did a recall on last years' models to all registered users and retail outlets-ever hear of that? I then mentioned the current bulb problem to which his only comment was that JVC is getting the problem solved. His final statement was that out of the 100+ JVC's they've sold, 5% of the customers have had prolems, which is common for most any brand???

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 261
On the recall... Yes on early sets JVC issued a recall adding a small spacer inside the ballast I think.

On LAMPS.... having to wait a week or two for a replacement lamp....Lamps being backordered... People complaining about waiting a week or two for parts...

(Repost I just made in another thread)

For parts to be back-ordered is not uncommon for whatever mfg you are talking about.

So far as "stocking" a part...

Let me tell you about 20 years ago when I used to work on Porsche NO-ONE stocked water pumps for the 944 series.... at the time the 944 was "new", and a water pump would last only about a year before it started leaking.

The had many revisions of that part... and until they got it right NO-ONE except the dealer would stock a pump.. and most of the time it had to be special ordered...

Fast forward to JVC and the D-ILa engine.... I read the other night that a "small" company by the name of INTEL gave up on the D-Ila because of low yields... JVC has been the first mfg to even get the yield counts up enough to have enough for shipping product...

On the "LAMP".... From what I've read some "lamps" are better than others... On "stocking" lamps.... If they are currently actively going thru revisions they aren't going to be ordering too many at a time... Because they like the auto parts guys don't want to be sitting on top of inventory which has been superseded.

Not ordering a bunch I'm sure makes the LAMP manufacturers more receptive.... (Translation... No big orders from us... You LAMP manufacturers are making us look bad...)

For whatever reason waiting two weeks is nothing... It took me 9 MONTHS to get a working set.. many phones calls to ANOTHER mfg about 3 years ago. It took me 9 months to get a working set from another mfg, read some of the details here, allot of details left out... by the time everything was said and done I probably had 100 hours plus (or more!!!) "invested": https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=474384#POST474384

I look at it like this... If the light engine holds up... and I have to replace the lamp.... "I" can replace it.... No service call needed.. and the set is back to looking like new... the D-ILA light engine does NOT use "Organic" compounds... that DEGRADE over time like the DLP sets do...

That being said... Like I have posted before I think if the LAMP is rated for 6,000 hours... That means 6,000 hours...

The mfg of the LAMP should be made to honor any claims within that time frame... Or should I say that amount of "hours".... a 1 year warranty is a joke...

All I can say is for all you posting "problems"..

2: Serial number of your set
3: Date of mfg
4: date of purchase
5: Note symptoms
6: Note amount of run time, hour may hour each day
7: Note amount time set say on once it is powered up. (In other words your not turning OFF and back on every time a commercial comes on.)
5: Note if set in plugged into a UPS -to not only FILTER incoming power, but to PROTECT set from BROWN-OUT conditions (low voltage)

Post details like the above not only will "help" JVC address the problem... but it will make it ALLOT harder for them to "wiggle" out of any claims, and lawsuits that may come about if these issues are not fixed.

I like others do NOT like the idea of having to "buy" a lamp a year and two days from now... or 2 years.

The way I figure it the LAMP should last at LEAST 3 years in normal use.

6,000 hours / 2,000 hours per year (40 hours a week) x 50 weeks = 6,000 hours.

Since hardly NO-ONE watches TV 8 hours a day... in the real world IF the lamps are indeed rated for 6,000 the lamp should last about...Be warrantied for (GASP!!!!) 5 years..
(Yes I know some people watch TV 8 hours a day, say for their "job"... In that case.. that's called commercial use... and commercial use only carries a 90 day warranty...)

Silver Member

Post Number: 262
PS: Chris the G series is not affected by the "recall"... that spacer /insulator inside the ballast.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 457
To WeAreNotAlone69,

You said, "the D-ILA light engine does NOT use "Organic" compounds... that DEGRADE over time like the DLP sets do..."

Just so you know, organic compounds are found in LCD displays, not DLP. The D-ila is a liquid crystal on silicon (LCOS) technology. You can Google it and find that liquid crystals can be organic (containing protein) as well as synthetic.

With DLP it's all done with light and mirrors.

I wish your idea of lamp longevity was a reality.
It's been my experience that a lamp is a light bulb and nothing more. A number of factors will greatly diminish it's life. Some of these are manufacturer defects, rough transportation, on/off cycles, poor heat dissipation, firing within 15 minutes of turning off, improper cool down from a power failure not allowing the fan to operate, bumping the set while on, dust build-up on the cooling fan, etc, etc.

It should be no mystery that UHP lamps can and will have failures. It's a real mystery that people who knowingly purchase a consumable lamp projector are not purchasing a spare lamp. They subject themselves to downtime waiting on warranty repairs or back ordered lamps for no good reason. Lamps are available for any projector model from a number of sources. I bought two spares on eBay for $60 each. I'm still under warranty, but I'll be damned if I'm going to go a day without my DLP.

Username: Mrbiggles

Mountain view, Ca USA

Post Number: 1
Hi All,
I am in the market for a DLP, and I think that I have narrowed it down to:
JVC HD52G768
Samsung HLR5067
Sony KDF-E50A10
I will be using it for TV (DirectTV)/Gaming and DVD's.
Does anybody have any experience with these units/recommendations. I have not been able to see these units side by side.

Thanks

Post Number: 3
Hmm, maybe I should wait another year to see if some of the "bugs" can get worked out. Maybe I won't wait. My issue is that in the family room we have a 27" tv with a 13-15 ft viewing distance. After 3 years my wife would like a larger TV.On the positive side the 56" JVC would be perfect for dvd's and the limited HD channel selection. On the negative side most channels(cable, and we're not switching to dish), are analog and don't know if I/we could tolerate a bad picture for very long. I suppose we could watch the 32" in the living room. Also, the 27" time on/off varies greatly. It could be on an hour, 10 minutes, 3 hours, off after being on for 5 minutes when we tell the kids to shut it off when it wasn't supposed to be on to begin with. My point on this last statement being that from what I've read, big televisions, regardless of their technologies, just don't seem as durable as crt's when it comes to the regular on/off factor. And I'm wondering if getting a big screen is a good idea or not.If I'm wrong tell me and I'll take it humblely.

Silver Member

Post Number: 267
Winston,

RE: I am in the market for a DLP, and I think that I have narrowed it down to:
JVC HD52G768
Samsung HLR5067
Sony KDF-E50A10

Winston,

Ran accross a local tech the other day while at lunch. He said they had stopped working on Samsungs due to the fact they are SLOWWWWW to pay warranty claims.

I have read alot of postings saying the same thing on other boards as well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 268
Chris,

If you've got kids.... you need to stay away from any set that using a projector type "lamp"... they run very hot and do not like as FYI has pointed out: rough transportation, SHORT on/off cycles, poor heat dissipation, firing within 15 minutes of turning off, improper cool down from a power failure not allowing the fan to operate, bumping the set while on, dust build-up on the cooling fan, etc, etc.

Post Number: 4
Thanks, that about seals it. Regarding this topic, thank you all for your advice- Chris

Silver Member

Post Number: 270
Chris,

Thanks for saying "Thanks".

Best of luck to you. Considering your needs I'd stick with a throw-away set. (Couple of hundred dollars range.)

Silver Member

Post Number: 271
FYI,
Thanks for pointing out DLP is all done with light and mirrors. That organic's are found in LCD displays, not DLP. (To me I really don't care what is inside a set... if it works.)

I am wondering "why" are are even following the D-Ila threads though. (sort of sounds like what TOM BONG used to do... Always bad mouthing anything that was not CRT based.:-)

I'm surpised that you did not suggest a certain DLP model to the thread starter since you are big on DLP's.

BTW: Do you know if the D-ILA's contain organic liquid crystals for sure, or are they synthetic?

Your previous post says they "can" be organic, but does not say for sure.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 461
"Do you know if the D-ILA's contain organic liquid crystals"

I have no idea!

"I'm surpised that you did not suggest a certain DLP model to the thread starter since you are big on DLP's."

I'm big on HD! I happen to have owned a couple of DLP's. I'm very intrigued by LCOS.
It may well be my next purchase.
(Sony KDS-R60XBR1)

"I am wondering "why"

I read everything. I'm no TB. I didn't bad mouth anything. I corrected an incorrect statement.
I offered possible causes of UHP lamp failures.

If lamps weren't so expensive folks wouldn't be freaking out. This idea of "proprietary design" for each brand and model has caused an artificial escalation of value on what should be a $10-$20 light bulb. The whole idea is in the process of backfiring on retailers and set makers. A flood of aftermarket lamps from China or somewhere would undoubtedly solve the cost problem. Maybe then, more people would consider buying a few spares.

Can they make them better? Maybe...someday. I'm sure their respective R & D departments are in high gear from the fallout. RP lamps are already better than FP lamps by 5 to 1. I've heard of two Phillips UHP lamps still up and running after 10,000 hours.

Best regards!

Jim

Post Number: 5
I'm back already- I thought it would be a year. The only problem I have to buying another "throw-away" set is:
1) They're too small.
2) I simply need a larger set.
If I sat and thought of more reasons I'd be in front of this monitor all day long. One way or another I simply need a big set due the viewing distance of 13-15 feet. If it means posting some stringent rules to the kids about on/off times, so be it. One of my earlier questions was regarding the "next best" thing other than JVC in the $2500 range. I really haven't got much response to that query. Understand that I am exercising extreme caution in the pursuit to purchase a rear projection tv. If plasma ever comes down in the 55" size I would even consider that. In the mean time I will continue to ask, probe, and discuss rear projectors with people until that eventful day when I buy one.
Regards, Chris

Silver Member

Post Number: 276
RE: FYI posted "I read everything. I'm no TB. I didn't bad mouth anything. I corrected an incorrect statement.
I offered possible causes of UHP lamp failures."

FYI: Yes I understand... You were not bad mouthing, just correcting an incorrect statement. Was just wondering why you were following the D-ILA threads since you are hard core DLP.

On cheaper lamps, standardizing... that would be a VERY good idea.... for those of us that expect the lamp to last close to the rated time.

On the D-ILA's contain organic liquid crystals"

If they are indeed using synthetic, instead of organics that could decay that would be a "plus" in chosing one type set over another, would it not? Your first post, sort of implied, suggested to someone just scanning that the D-ILA's do /could use organics.

From other info I've read they don't... Which I assume would be a good thing...

Silver Member

Post Number: 277
RE: JVC has made it clear that there are NO organic compounds used in the D-ILA technology and therefore this failure mode does not exist with D-ILA.

Variations in LCOS designs

Though LCOS is a generic term, there are several different variations. The most popular LCOS implementation so far is that from JVC, which the company calls
D-ILA, for Direct Drive Image Light Amplifier.

Not all LCOS implementations are technically the same, and they should not be thought of as identical. This has practical consequences. For example, those familiar with the recent Texas Instruments study that highlighted a particular failure mode in LCD are aware that LCD panels may eventually degrade over the long run due to a breakdown of organic compounds used in their construction. JVC has made it clear that there are no organic compounds used in the D-ILA technology and therefore this failure mode does not exist with D-ILA. Thus image reliability of their products over the long run is comparable to or exceeds that of DLP. The same cannot be said for every version of LCOS on the market.

Bronze Member
Username: Bruceorlando

Orlando - Mickey Mouse..., Florida-By-God US of A

Post Number: 14
Chris,
I've only had my JVC-56G786 since the end of September, so I can't really comment on reliability over the long-term.

I can say that the set has been flawless so far. As far as SD goes, at the viewing distance you're talking about, some SD should be very watchable.

If your cable has an HD service you'll notice the HD channels will provide a better picture than their non-HD siblings, even on 480i material. A cable box (like a PVR, etc) with an HDMI or DVI output is better also (duh).

As far as kids and the set goes, I agree with Wearenotalone69 about stressing the set un-necessarily. I've also have mine hooked up to a UPS/Line Conditioner since we are prone to all kinds of power interuptions and outages here in Florida.

Hope this helps, and don't be afraid to jump in the water. It's not as cold and deep as it looks. :-)

-bruce

Silver Member

Post Number: 285
Bruceorlando,

Good point on the viewing distance.. the further away you sit, the more viewable a poor signal will look. I had meant to comment on that aspect before, but got side-tracked:-)

Post Number: 6
Yeah, last night I explained to the family-especially the kids- that when we get the big set they are to ask special permission to watch the set. This would ensure the tv being on for a 1/2 hour minimum, and off/on casual tv can be wathed on the 27" which will be moved to the play room. This would ensure minimizing the on/off factor, i.e. no stress factor.
Cheers, Chris
Oh, and P.S. thanks for the tip on viewing distance-that will help comfort my wife.

Silver Member

Post Number: 289
Chris,

Here is a thread that may be of interest:

JVC D-ILA Neutral Density Filter mod procedure to improve Black levels. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=547602

PS: On a new lamp, the set will be VERY bright... Once the set has about 100 hours on it the light output decreases slighty. (which is GOOD thing)

If your REALLY interested, you should get one of the "new" Designer Pro D-ILA sets... They are 1080p, vs 720p... and MORE importantly they have a 3 step IRIS installed to decrease the light output when needed. (at night, during dark movies)

There is a thread on a WHOLESALE buy on the sets on the above board.

Silver Member

Post Number: 290
Here;s the thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=595187

BTW: There is a PRO version, and a Consumer grade (which should be cheaper) that have the 3-STEP IRIS..

The PRO grade I think is alreay "tweaked" by the factory... I think they are the same besides the "tweaking".

http://www.jvc.com/press/index.jsp?item=470&pageID=1
http://pro.jvc.com/pro/pr/2005/cedia/hdp70r1u.html

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=595187 (PowerBuy thread for IRIS Pro Series with 3 step Iris.)

Silver Member

Post Number: 291
One last thing... If they above is too far out of your price range... Do the ND filter mod on the G series as noted above... about $30 - $60 and 20 minutes to do.

Silver Member

Post Number: 292
Typo: If "the" above,,,, Not If "they" above....

Think I better go get something to eat.

Later...

Post Number: 7
This is great reading!
Thanks WeAreNotAlone69
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us