Help to setup hlr5067w - poor picture quality

asprin_nyc
Unregistered guest
All,

I am asking for help to configure the samsung hlr5067w dlp rear projection tv. I got the tv yesterday - plugged it in to my dvr from directv and I get picture and sound. that's a good start but the quality of the picture is preety poor. i can see the pixels - the edges of faces are not smooth and the color transition is poor. i am using svideo connection. if you have the same model tv and you are happy with the picture quality kindly post your settings here.

thank you.

Bronze Member
Username: Mystro

Post Number: 87
Generally, SDTV is going to look like crap on any HDTV. The HDTV is showing the flaws (compression, digital noise, etc) in SDTV. Component video or HDMI is what you should use.
It will help but SDTV is going to look rough comapired to HD. How does a DVD look??

asprin_nyc
Unregistered guest
Mystro,

i tried it with component video - the red, white and yellow plugs (assuming that is component) and it looks the same. dvd looks great. what is hdmi?

thx

Silver Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 123
Wow. Deep breath. Okay, what you are hooking up with now is composite video (red, yellow white),which is about the lowest quality hookup you could use. Component is red, green and blue with red for video and white for right left audio. That is the bare minumum HD hookup. If you did not change over to an HD Direct TV Receiver you are wasting your money even having that TV. You need to upgrade both your source as well as your connections before you judge the set.

Silver Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 124
You can also try an HD off the air antenna, depending on your location the quality of your digital and HD off the air broadcasts will give you an idea of what you are missing.

asprin_nyc
Unregistered guest
Helpful Smurf,

Thanks for your input. what would you recommend to replace the composite video - component? or there is something better out there?

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 451
Use component (Y, Pr, Pb) if your Direct TV receiver has it. The S-Video is not going to cut it.

I read your first post. It didn't sound like you subscribe to Direct TV's HD. Their regular signal has compression artifact from mpeg 2 processing. Your bigger screen will make it very apparent. The good news is that Direct TV just launched another sat and will soon be converting to mpeg 4 with many hd channels.

Like Smurf said, unless you have an off-air antenna hooked to your set's "Air" input you will not see the digital Enhanced Def/High Def that the major networks are broadcasting.

Go to this link and put in your zip.

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

This will tell you what digital channels are available in your area using an old style VHF/UHF outdoor antenna. It will tell you the distance from the network towers and give you a compass direction to point the antenna. Folks who live within 10-15 miles of the towers can get away with an indoor HD antenna.

Direct TV can provide an HD receiver that combines off-air digital channels with their regular and HD sat programming. Sometimes they have specials for free DVR or six months of free HD programming. Those who have this type of receiver don't use the set's tuner and they don't have to switch inputs.

When you have true HD programming there is no need to resize or stretch the image. The proper setting is 16 x 9 and "Pillar Box". Picture sizing becomes automatic as the screen fully fills with the HD format.

asprin_nyc
Unregistered guest
FYI,

does this means that eventually i will get better picture when the new sat goes into service? I don't think the dvr box has component - it has the yellow,red and white outputs. are there any converters that can help - without getting the hd receiver?

thx

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 452
Yes, but not with your existing receiver. In fact, the one you have is obsolete. What you need for now is an H10 or any HD receiver with DVR, if you're into that. Check Circuit City or Best Buy for HD receivers that also pick up off-air. Also, check the promotions for free HD service or call 1-800 DirectTV and tell them you heard they were offering free HD for six months.
These receivers will come with component (Y, Pr, Pb) connections and digital (HDMI) ports too. Once you have one, Direct TV will replace it with an mpeg4 at no charge when they roll out the new services.

If you don't want to upgrade your receiver right now, don't miss out on free off-air digital networks. Even a Radio Shack $35 VHF/UHF antenna hooked to your "Air" input on the set will provide beautiful images, which the set was designed to display.

Bronze Member
Username: Mystro

Post Number: 90
I am using the H10 with my 61" 1080p. I am using HDMI and component with different sources. I am not so sure HDMI is better than hi-quality component cables?? I am still going back and forth and testing. There are issuse with both formats. The verdict is still out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us