DVR and Aspect control for Panasonic Plasma

Username: Desmo907

Post Number: 2
I just got the TH-42PX500U Plasma. I have Digital Video Recorder from Time Warner (I swapped out my old box). I notice that when I watch TV the Aspect button on the Panasonic remote control will not allow me to change the monitor display (e.g., to Zoom, etc.). If the signal from the DVR is Hi-Def I see the image covering the entire screen (in Hi Def). However if its a 4x3 channel, I see vertical bars on the sides of the image and I cannot change the Aspect to fill the screen. I could do this with my older non-HD cable box tuner (i.e., have the 4x3 image fill the entire screen as my remote has a option to make it look fine). Am i just prevented form using the
Aspect control on the Panasonic remote because I am using the DVR box now? The Aspect control works fine when i watch a DVD.

fx
Unregistered guest
The DVR will have an internal settings menu allowing you to determine how SD 4:3 material is output. It sounds like it is defaulted to 480p which your display will not allow you to zoom. It needs to be set to 480i then all will be as before.

List the DVR brand and model number if you need more help. It is likely a Scientific Atlanta SA-8xxx series.

xvxvxvx

Username: Desmo907

Post Number: 3
I finally got someone at TW to help me. They had me change a setting on the DVR from Standard 4:3 to Widescreen 16:9. So, now the 4:3 images fill the entire screen but my Panasonc remote (Aspect feature) cannot override it (it still doesn't work). My understanding of how these systems work is that some software figures out the best way to "stretch" a 4:3 image to 16:9. I like the Panasonic when I choose "Just" (their recommended setting fo 4:3 images) with my old box but it seems I am stuck with using whatever the DVR cable box supplies. I think its a Scientific Atlanta but I have to look up the info when I get home.

Unregistered guest
To: agent 86 (ha ha)

I think the HD capable DVR boxes send a signal out to the TV that tells the TV it's HD. When a TV gets a signal that's HD, it disables the aspect function and only displays the signal in "full". If you really want to watch in "just" mode, you'll have to connect the composite cables to the "video 1 (or 2)" input of the TV. Then you can set "normal", "full", "zoom", or "just" aspects.

Excellent choice on the TV. I got the 50 version back in September. I'm in the SF area and got the Comcast DVR (Motorola DCT-6412) and highly recommend it (although the hard drive is a little small). If you have their DVR box hooked up to the TV you can have them put a cablecard into the TV and they only charge you for installation ($16.00), NO extra Monthly fees for the card itself! But the DVR must be hooked to the SAME TV that the Cablecard is going into.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us