Watch one channel, record another with satellite tv

Username: Jettdawg

Post Number: 1
I'm trying to figure out how I can watch one program while recording another with satellite tv. Presently, everything works fine, except that if I want to record something, I have to be watching it (unlike when I had cable).
I have a slightly older tv with only coax input and one RCA type line in. My sat receiver is a Dish 322 dual mode tuner.
Since I only have one tv, I'm wondering if I could set it up so that the TV1 out on the tuner goes to the vcr, then to the tv, and the TV2 out goes directly to the tv (using a splitter or an A/B switch before the tv). The dvd player is using the line in on the tv (tv set to AUX to watch dvds). I drew up a diagragm of what I have in mind (see below).
I'm thinking that I could use the TV1 side (vcr and tv set to channel 3) for regular viewing and recording as I do now, and use the TV2 side when I want to watch one channel while recording another (set tv to channel 75).
Do you think this would work? If not, any suggestions on how to hook things up, or can I just not watch one while recording another with the Dish 322 tuner? Also, if it WILL work, should I use a splitter or an A/B switch?
Thanks in advance, Jettdawg.
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1883
Yes, you can use an A/B switch. For recording, it's better to connect the sat to the VCR with RCA cables.

Unregistered guest
I'm trying to figure out how to watch another TV program while recording another. I got it hooked up with a 2 way splitter. I have a DirecTV satelite receiver box D10. Here is my coax hookups. From the wall, the coax is hookup into the "In" of the 2 way splitter. From the splitter, one coax goes to satelite receiver box and the other coax goes to the Sony DVR recoder and player. I have a coax from the "out" of the satelite reciever box to the Sony Tv in of VHF. From the DVR, the red, white and yellow cords from the video line 1 output to goes to the TV line 1 input. Now, i try recording in video 1 from the DVR while selecting the TV/Video to TV mode, i want change the channel i want to watch while it records my channel i selected to record. HOwever, it doesnt. When i change to tv mode and watch another tv program, the signal follows me wherever i go to watch. What the problem i am having? DO i need to program my DVR remote the use the channels selection instead of selecting TV channels from my DirectTV? I really dont have my channels program on my remote. LEt me know

r2doubleds
Unregistered guest
You say DVR, do you have a DVR or a DVD burner. A DTV model D10 ird is just a receiver. It is not a Tivo/DVR. If the D10 is the only Satellite receiver that you have there, than you can not accomplish this. A Tivo/DVR is in all actuallity two receivers that operate on a linux system. It takes to lines in from a satellite receiver. There is no way to split asingle coax and watch two seperate satellites on one receiver or two. Sattelites operate on voltage. Some at 18 volts, some at 13 volts. The head of a Dish or the LNB on a newer multisat dish is a multiswitch that flicks back and forth from 18v to 13v depending on what channel you select and whether that channel is 13v or 18v (Those are your transponders on your dish, a transponder is a group of channels) So one line can only choose between one or the other. In order for your system to function the way you want it to, you need another line from the dish and either another receiver hooked to that line or a DVR/Tivo. I know its alot more than what you asked for, but I thought I would try to explain why it will not work.

kris4049
Unregistered guest
Have Directv, how can one receiver feed multiple locations? I have seen this set up before. One receiver is in a common area, and feeds 2 or 3 tvs. There is a "target" at each TV that allows you to change the channel. However, all the tv hook to this receiver all view the same channel.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2092
One receiver can only get one channel at a time. If you want to watch different channels on other TVs, you need a receiver for each TV.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us