Still a little confused...

Username: Aboger

Indianapolis

Post Number: 1
Let me apologize in advance for asking a similar question to what seems to have been asked many times over, but I just want to be clear.

I live in Indianapolis, own a Sony LCD with built-in hdtv tuner, and subscribe to basic Bright House cable service. What I want is.... ESPN HD! According to the reps at Bright House, if I want ESPN in HD, I must sign up for their digital service package, which would only be about $17 monthly additional.

My problem is not with the $17, but rather I hate all the tv guide garbage that comes with digital cable. That stuff takes up half the screen with tv ratings, time information, program listing, etc. Plus it takes forever for the channels to load instead of being able to flip through very quickly with regular service. I simply just don't want all that junk.

Again, I'm already paying for cable service and am not trying to get anything for free; I just want my ESPN in HD!
For the record, my tv is hooked up already and nothing comes in HD (no, not the local channels either). From what I've read on this forum, I assume that is because my basic cable wire is transmitting an analog feed and my built-in tuner could only produce HD picture from a digital feed?? (I'm not referring to the local stations in that last question; I realize I could buy the OTA antenna to accomplish this.)

On a side note, Bright House suggested their HD service is not really a "service" added to the account, but more or less is something that is enabled purely by connecting their cable box. This implied that a substitute "digital conversion" device may be available?? My question to you all, do I have any real options in this situation, or must I concede and suffer with all that on-screen clutter that is associated with Bright House's digital cable service?
Thanks, and sorry for the lack of brevity.

Username: Ninjamurf

San Diego , Ca USA

Post Number: 1
Yes, you need digital cable (at least I'm 99.9% certain?) What is the clutter you speak of, however? I'm assuming that the tv guide "garbage" isn't on the screen all the time? It should only be there when you are searching it, in which case, I, personally, WANT all the information I can get. It may take a little longer to switch channels but, again, personally I'll take the .8 second time hit to enjoy HD! LOL It should also let you search by title, topic, etc. which you may not get with your current analog service. Very nice feature especially when trying to search 300+ channels. Another thing you may want to look at is the fact that most set top boxes will actually allow you to somewhat customize the "delay" time that it shows the channel info, etc. Not sure that would help you but it may be one of the problems you are talking about?

Hold tight, I'm sure someone far wiser than myself (like THAT'LL be hard) will be along shortly to better answer some of this stuff for you.

Indianapolis

Post Number: 2
Mike, thanks for the response. I was afraid that would be the answer. Yeah, I do realize the search feature, time remaining, etc. are all nice IF you utilize them. In my case, I watch very little tv besides sporting events; basically I watch the networks and then ESPN and ESPN2 so I would likely not be taking advantage of those features anyways. I mean, I can tell who is playing by looking at the screen and if it is of interest to me, I'll watch until its over so the time remaining is irrelevant. That said, the most frustrating thing though is the load time for the channels; I like to zip through the channels and 2 seconds per channel load time is irritating, in my opinion. Like you said though, the HD picture is probably worth the minor irritations.

I also found out today that my $17 would only get me 8 HD stations, 2 of which are pay-per-view that I don't use anyways. I'm beginning to wonder why I even purchased a built-in HD tv; I clearly didn't understand how all of this worked at the time...

Indianapolis

Post Number: 3
OK, I've decided to stop belly-aching and get the digital cable. By the way, I plan to purchase an HD antenna for my local networks. If anyone else lives in Indianapolis (I live downtown) would you mind sharing which antenna you use and how you like it, quality of reception, etc.

I reviewed the antenna website posted somewhere on this site, but I was really confused because when I entered my zipcode, it listed stations from louisville and cincinnati which are over 75 miles away from me? I couldn't possible picked up an HD signal that far away, could I?

fx
Unregistered guest
"I reviewed the antenna website posted somewhere on this site, but I was really confused because when I entered my zipcode, it listed stations from louisville and cincinnati which are over 75 miles away from me? I couldn't possible picked up an HD signal that far away, could I?

If you went to www.antennaweb.org and entered your exact street address and not just your zipcode then the answer is YES.

A Zenith Silver Sensor is the best all around indoor antenna for the money. Keep in mind antennaweb also tells you what type (color code) of antenna you will need for what stations. It may require an outdoor mast antenna to get all the UHF and VHF both analog and digital which it shows you are able to receive.

Study the site carefully, it is priceless and incredibly accurate. Someone found a problem with a new landmark in their area (a Tall building built in the last 6 months), reported it to the website and 24 hous later they confirmed the different reception from all addresses affected by the new building.

xvxvxvx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us