HDTV Broadcast Signal delayed from Analog?

Username: Hcwhunter

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 5
We have a new Mit.52525 and love it. I am wondering why there is a 1 - 5 second delay between the HD signal (video & sound) and the regular analog broadcast signal from the same station? I'm not talking about the video/sound synch problem on some of our cable channels, but the HD signal being 1-5 secs. behind the analog signal on a TV in an adjacent room! The delay is the same whether I use a rooftop antenna or whether I view the local HD channel feed from my cable provider. It does seem to vary from channel to channel and from program to program. Is it a signal processing delay or just because the analog broadcast is VHF and the HD is UHF?

HW

Username: Leel

Post Number: 1
HW this has nothing to do with the frequency they broadcast on it has to do with digital processing.

In order to work with a digital signal designs will buffer the data in memory then perform processing to those signals. There is normally very little delay but it depends on how many devices a signal goes through.

It's been a lot of years since I worked in the television industry but we used some thing called a frame buffer which would all you to take two signals with different sync sources and mix from one to the other. This was great but it did delay the output by a few ms.

So the bottom line is a delay in a digital signal is normal because of the way digital processing systems work.

Lee

Unregistered guest
I HAVE A ZENITH 61" WIDESCREEN REAR PROJECTION HD READY TV WITH A ZENITH (DIRECTV) HD RECEIVER. HD PROGRAMS ON DIRECTV ARE FINE, BUT THE LOCAL HD PROGRAMING HAS PROBLEMS. THE PICTURE LAGS SEVERLY AND THE SOUND DOES NOT MATCH THE PICTURE. I HAVE TESTED THE ANTENA SIGNAL AND IT SHOWS TO BE GOOD
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us