HP MD6580n Pavilion 65-inch DLP HDTV

Bronze Member
Username: Juan_sarda

Miami, Fl USA

Post Number: 31
Does anyone have any info on the New 65 in HP 1080PDLP model # MD6580n from Hewlet Packard, just saw it at brandsmart in Miami, looked great. List for $4999, but will let go for $3999. It really looked good, all inputs in the front just pull open panel & its lighted, no need to pull tv out from wall. All inputs can be viewed as Icons on the main screen, read Sound & Vision http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=876&page_nu mber=1

They gave it really high marks, even comparing it to Sony's $13,000 Qualia

Quote from sound & Vision
"Test patterns revealed that the MD6580n could resolve nearly every line of a 1080i HDTV source, making it the second-most detailed RPTV I've tested. (The $13,000 Sony Qualia 006, a 1080p LCoS HDTV, is the first."

Bronze Member

Miami, Fl USA

Post Number: 32
correction
All inputs can be viewed as Thumbnails, not icons (Thumbnails source selection)

1080p
Unregistered guest
I found a very long thread on the HP sets on the AVS forum site, which also said that TV Authority has a discounted price on those sets for AVS forum members. Folks buying them really seem to like them.

Bronze Member

Miami, Fl USA

Post Number: 33
1080P
Please direct me to the site.

Bronze Member

Miami, Fl USA

Post Number: 34
Found it, has lots of info, Thanks 1080P
Here is the long HP Thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=592933&highlight=MD6580

datman
Unregistered guest
As pointed out in the S&V article, a strong point of the HP is that it had the foresight to put 1080p direct inputs into the tv, minimizing the likelihood of obsolesence in the near future. This has been a point of discussion in the Sony SXRD thread. A few of us are preturbed that Sony's new tv does not have 1080p direct inputs. That aside, I was blown away by the picture the SXRD creates. There is also an S&V article on the SXRD tv in the review section that you might want to check out. IIRC it suggests that because of smaller pixel size the SXRD may have an even better picture quality than the much more expensive Sony Qualia. I cannot compare the SXRD and the HP directly since I have not seen the HP myself. My hunch is that the Sony is a little better since the HP uses wobulation to achieve 1080p status while the Sony achieves true 1080p. [Note: this is likely to change next year as TI has just demonstrated a new chip that achieves 1080p without wobulation, but for now...] However, for the price of a 50" Sony if you can get a 65" HP tv a marginally lower picture quality for a much larger screen size may be a worthy trade off.

Bronze Member

Miami, Fl USA

Post Number: 36
I have seen the HP Pavilion 1080P DLP MD6580n in a large bransdmart in Miami Fl, compared it to all plasmas RPT & LCDs, HP wins hands down, the only thing holding me back is that spining wheel & moving mirros, I still think the HD-70FH96 & HD-61FH96 JVC 3 chip Lcos 1080p will look better, but none available yet to compare. But That 65 inch HP is tempting, only $3999.99, that wheel though??
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us