No Audio, DVI to HDMI, tried rca cables. No Luck

MattyBoombaLatty
Unregistered guest
Hi. I have a Hitachi 51F510 51 inch rear projection t.v. with HDMI input. I'm trying to pair it with a Samsung DVD-HD841 upconversion player with a DVI output. I'm using a HDMI to DVI monster cable for the video and the picture is pretty clear. The audio is hooked up through the red and white rca cables. According to the t.v.'s manual, this should work. The audio isn't working at all. I called Hitachi and the one "tech" I got didn't seem to know much. I tried the audio menus on the TV and the DVD player, with no luck. Does anyone have experience with such an audio problem? I also have a monster component, but would rather remain all digital from start to finish. Any help is much appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 210
On the JVC I have I just hooked up a Samsung HD tuner with DVI output.

Used DVI to HDMI cable for the video
Used rca cables for audio

On my set it has a set of audio jacks RIGHT besides the HDMI input that is used. (I think this may be your problem)

In addtion you have to set the audio to analog input on the TV. /Analog output on your tuner /player.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 412
He may be on the right track. Audio inputs can be very specific on certain models.

Well...the video hook-up is fine and has nothing whatsoever to do with the audio, unless the digital video connection disables the analog audio of either unit.

You will not get digital audio through the digital video cable because DVI doesn't carry audio, but there is a seperate digital coax and optical audio output on the 841 that you can connect to your set.

What have you tried? Do you have a digital audio cable of either type? (coax or optic)

The Hitachi may be selective about the audio when choosing the HDMI input mode. It may only want to look for digital audio on the HDMI pins. It won't be there because of the DVI incompatability on the other end.

Are you shure you have the analog RCA outputs of the 841 going to the RCA inputs of the set closest to the HDMI connection? Have you tried disconnecting the digital video cable to see if it enables the analog audio of either the set or the player? If it does you will then need to use the component video cables.

Personally, I use a surround sound receiver for 5 channel theater sound. My audio doesn't go to the set at all. Prices have really come down on good Onkyo and Yahama systems. It's something to consider.

MattyBoombaLatty
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the replies. I do have the rca cables connected to the HDMI specific audio inputs and can't find any way to change the player or TV to a specific analog audio. I just tried to unplug the HDMI video feed and the audio comes on just as the picture disappears. Does this really mean the player and the TV aren't compatable for all digital? I don't think the 841 upconverts over component anymore, without a firmware upgrade. The 841 does have the optical audio, but I'm not familiar with those. I didn't see any optical input on the TV. Is the optical cable rca on one end and optical on the other?

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 413
It means that the set is specifically looking for digital audio on the HDMI pins. If the RCA jacks are beside the HDMI port you would think the audio menu of the set would let you choose them.

The digital optical audio cable is optical on both ends.

You are really missing the Dolby 5 channel effect from lots of content when you try to use the set for audio. Many primetime network shows, movies, and sporting events are broadcasted in Dolby 5.1 today.

Here is a link to CC, which shows several nice systems that include the speakers starting with an RCA system for $85. Like I said, the price of having home theater surround sound has come way down lately. While there are more expensive 7 channel systems, most content is still Dolby 5.1 and those 5 channel systems have become very affordable.
My TV audio remains internally muted forever!

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/catOid/-12954/N/20012898+20012954/rpem/ccd/categ ory.do
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us