JVC 56G886 GREEN HDMI

Username: Angel_l

Miami, FL. USA

Post Number: 1
Can any one help me with what is wrong with my HDMI input. HDMI dvd and dss both green screen on all resolutions two weeks after install.

PS I installed this HT for my father in law and what a pain in the neck with getting evrything to work properly, and whats worse is getting my father in law to understand inputs, offair tuner, pip, dss, local hd, sat. hd. etc. Unless one is well informed. This is a real complicated technology to understand with all of the differanceses beetween the components, (this is not for the average person).

Please Help.

Bronze Member
Username: Videobruce

Buffalo , NY

Post Number: 90
Try another cable.

Bronze Member
Username: Videobruce

Buffalo , NY

Post Number: 91
More probable is a replecement HDMI board. HDMI is still new and full of problems (just as USB was/is). Not just JVC, but others also.

Miami, FL. USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks for replying.
I tried another cable same results when I used the HDMI dvd.
Service tech. will be in Friday 11-4, I hope he is knowledgeable and recomends replacement.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 724
I remember reading a post that said if the unit is powered on while the cover is off you will need to reset the HDMI port.

It may be the problem and is at least worth mentioning to the tech when he's there.

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 209
Here's the deal AFAIK..

If the set is powered up with the back cover off a "Special Service Remote is used to enter a special CODE to reset the HDMI port, otherwise it shows GREEN.

(I would assume if there is some type of malfunction in the HDMI board it would do the same thing. Imagine this occurring when you're OUT of the warranty period people!!!!.. Each time costing YOU a service call! $$$$)

To ALL those that may be having a "service tech come out" regarding failing HDMI ports, Green screens, Or if you've powered your set up without the back cover on and tripped the HDMI sensor by mistake..:-( :-(

I propose that we find out :

1: The part number of the "Service Remote"
2: The codes entered to reset the HDMI port
3: The procedure.
4: Any other "cool codes".

(Frank Statton posted: The service remote is a Remocon unit. To reset the HDMI the tech first set the Remote code to 03-C6, then...to reset HDMI, hit the number(3).

Frank , if you're out there was this the part number the tech used? = LP20873-009B Remocon Unit (replaces LP20873-009A)

Why do we need to worry about all this? Well we're not going to be in "warranty" forever people... and I for one don't want to pay for a $150 service call to have it reset.

BTW: I can BET you allot of people are going to get ripped off... Yes mam', your HDMI board is dead, $350+ to fix, when if fact the board just needed a "reset"... (All this HDMI stuff is pretty "new" so don't expect it to be rock solid people, there ARE going to be cases in which the board got "confused" and just needed a simple reset.)

Kano said to mention this HDMI reset to the tech...

Well there should be a TSB out on this (Technical Service Bulletin) and the "tech" should ALREADY know about this "fix"... but probably will not. If he does, good.

What we need is the part number off the SERVICE REMOTE, and get him to show you the code entered. Tell him you're moving to the edge of the world or something... that you really "need" to know how to reset the HDMI port... Tell him you can't afford to pay a service call once out of warranty,. that you have nine kids, etc..

I purpose that once we get that info that "we" (me?) purchase said remote and we either "lend it out" to other board members as needed. (Deposit /Shipping both ways)... OR better yet.. get the service remote.. and then maybe use a "learning remote" to learn the code.. Making our own HDMI reset tool. (I really don't think that would work, just a thought though)

Best way would be to purchase the SERVICE REMOTE itself. Even if you had to buy your own... I would think the service remote would be allot less than a service call if you are OUT of WARRANTY. The LP20873-009B prices out at about $35.... so this would be a "handy" thing to have. Especially considering how "new" and unproven these HDMI boards are. $35 sounds allot better than $150 for a service call....

Even if you don't agree with the $150 figure quoted for a service call, I don't think your going to get a tech out to your home for $35 these days.

Miami, FL. USA

Post Number: 6
Great information I will try to get the tech to give me the service codes for hdmi reset.
Hopefully there is a switch like laptops to reset inside the unit and we are unaware.

Please explain about powering up the tv with the cover off on hdmi. I have not removed any back cover from the tv?

It sounds like this is going to be a irritible Inconvenience with hdmi, maybe dvi is more reliable and no audio problems that I am aware of.

Silver Member

Post Number: 212
Angel Lara,

It would be extremely helpful to ALL if you can get the part number of that remote and the procedure used to reset the HDMI port.

I'm guessing by your name you're a girl, and since most "techs" are guys that they send out YOU will be probably be able to get him talking.

On powering the set with the back off.... certain tweaks sometimes require you to go inside the tv... If you were to happen to FORGET, and plug in the set while the back was was it would kill the HDMI port (everything green)

In your case, while you have not had the back cover off, the board has malfunctioned.... It may have just been a fluke (The software running the board crashed), or it could be a hardware failure.

On the inconvenience... Now while you're in warranty it's an inconvenience..... 12 months from now it will mean $$$$ out of your pocket.

(In your case you may have an extended warranty, but that info would be mighty helpful to others here...:-)

Why is HDMI "buggy"?

Think Personal Computer.... Think when a "new" standard", like USB comes out, Or a new software program.../ A new version of Windows. This HDMI stuff is pretty new.... So I think that random resets of the board will be needed from time to time.

Think Personal Computer.... HDMI right now is like version 1.0....... unstable... buggy...

On the DVI... HDMI is DVI, with Audio+ HDCP (anti copying BS) all thrown in together.

Your set has a HDMI port... You can use a tuner/ dvd player etc outputting DVI+HDCP , running the audio separately instead of thru the HDMI port... BUT if the HDMI ports "dies" again. experiences some kind of "software" crash... the port isn't going to accept a DVI signal... (well it will, but it will be "green", unless the board dies altogether.)

Translation, Get the part number of the remote used, get the codes.

If nothing else I'd get the info, because the "techs" that were sent to my house during a 9 month period a while back on another set were a bunch of idiots. They did NOT have the service manual...NOR the proper service "tools" which delayed the attempted repairs to no end...

Since I had a copy of the service manual for that set I caught them taking shortcuts, not following procedure, and got the set replaced by the mfg.

After going thru 9 months of "Service Call Hell".... I'd rather buy a $35 service remote, and punch in a code every once and a while than wait for a service call, be charged big $$$$ each time.

Bottom line is I'd rather buy the service remote, than pay for a"service call".

It's not right the way they set up the sensor that trips the sensor by just taking the back of the set off... allot of people who may get the set serviced later on are going to be buying a bunch of HDMI boards when they probably just needed the board reset.

I could see putting a anti-tamper switch on the HDMI board itself, breaking the case disabling the board (turning it green)

I can see thousands of unneeded repairs in the future, people having to pay for a "HDMI board", when they didn't really need one.

Silver Member

Post Number: 215
Angel Lara,

A "update".... Cesar Maciel just posted that a service remote "may" not be needed.

When the "tech" comes to service your set, get him to try the below procedure FIRST... before using the service remote. If he does end up using the service remote... Well you know what to do..
(watch him... get him talking :-)

The below is a re-post I just made to another board.

Cesar Maciel posted his HDMI port being disabled because of opening the tv AND more importantly a RESET procedure NOT requiring a SERVICE REMOTE, so I will repost his entrie post.: [url]https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=500258#POST500258[/url]

"I had the problem with the HDMI port becoming disabled because of opening the TV. Called Best Buy (warranty) and explained to the guy that I needed the reset operation. He informed about needing the service remote control, and said he would call JVC and check the procedure.
He called me later today with a procedure to reset it, using the TV remote control.

Turn the TV on, and enter de Service Menu. Select 2 for Self Check. Then turn the TV off, and after the fan turns off, unplug the power cord. Reconnect the power cord, turn the TV on, and the HDMI port is reenabled.
I tried the procedure and it worked fine. I left the power cord disconnected for 30 sec before reconnecting.
Regards
Cesar"

Silver Member

Post Number: 216
Angel Lara,

An "update".... Cesar Maciel just posted that a service remote "may" not be needed.

When the "tech" comes to service your set, get him to try the below procedure FIRST... before using the service remote. If he does end up using the service remote... Well you know what to do..
(watch him... get him talking :-)

The below is a re-post I just made to another board.

Cesar Maciel posted his HDMI port being disabled because of opening the tv AND more importantly a RESET procedure NOT requiring a SERVICE REMOTE, so I will repost the entire post.: https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=500258#POST500258

"I had the problem with the HDMI port becoming disabled because of opening the TV. Called Best Buy (warranty) and explained to the guy that I needed the reset operation. He informed about needing the service remote control, and said he would call JVC and check the procedure.
He called me later today with a procedure to reset it, using the TV remote control.

Turn the TV on, and enter de Service Menu. Select 2 for Self Check. Then turn the TV off, and after the fan turns off, unplug the power cord. Reconnect the power cord, turn the TV on, and the HDMI port is reenabled.
I tried the procedure and it worked fine. I left the power cord disconnected for 30 sec before reconnecting.
Regards
Cesar"

Miami, FL. USA

Post Number: 8
WeAreNotAlone,

You guess wrong, but thats irrelevant.

This is great information I coached my wife on how to get the model# of the remote and code.

I read on another thread about a similar problem and the remote was a Remocon unit and code entered was 03-c6 and #3. My wife will verify.

How do you enter the service menu?

Miami, FL. USA

Post Number: 9
How frustrating!

The service tech. did not speak english. (very common here in Miami)

He hade no clue what HDMI is.

He did not bring the servive manual.

He deos not have a service remote.

The office tells him it will only work with HD signal.

I felt I hade more knowledge of the tv and its componenets.

He did not know how to get into the service menu.
And gave me another appointment for next week so he can check with the factory (Toshiba). This is what you get when immigrants take jobs at a much lower salary and learn on the job. They refuse to speak the language and are insulted when you dont speak there language. There is a big sign on the miami northern city limit "Leaving Miami Please Resume English".

The TV is 45 days old and The store and service center was closed after hurricane Wilma. It is going to be very difficult to get the tv replaced, the hurricane flew the box away.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 726
Contact JVC with your story, they may have a better solution to keep their customer happy... and from buying a Samsung lol

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Angel,

Before entering the SERVICE MENU, confirm that the setting
of TV/CATV SW of the REMOTE CONTROL UNIT is at the
"TV" side and the setting of VCR/DVD SW of the REMOTE
CONTROL UNIT is at the "VCR" side. If the switches have not
been properly set, you cannot enter the SERVICE MENU.
1) Press [SLEEP TIMER] key and while the indication of
SLEEP TIMER 0 MIN is being displayed, press
[DISPLAY] key and [VIDEO STATUS] key (Fig.2)
simultaneously.
2) The SERVICE MENU screen of Fig.1 is displayed.
3) Verify what to set in the SERVICE MENU, and set
whatever is necessary (Fig.1).
Refer to the SERVICE ADJUSTMENT for setting.
4) Press the [BACK] key to return the SERVICE MENU.

Miami, FL. USA

Post Number: 10
tvshopper,

Thank you with the service code. I will try this weekend to reset the hdmi and see if it works.

I hope so, this will be great news becouse this is going to happen more often if hdmi is buggy.

I also am going to contact jvc and explain my situation and see what they respond with. I do not want to change tv this one looks great w/o calibration, tweeks or mods.

Silver Member

Post Number: 217
Do NOT let that shop touch your set or you'll be sorry more than likely!!!!

Here's the "short" version of what you can expect using the shop you describe.... (At least the below shop's tech did speak English... I cannot imagine the horrors and BS you will be put thru if you end up using the shop you decribed!

If they end up working on it, you might and well just walk right now into your bathroom, and just pull ALL your hair out, to save the mess of having your hair fall out a little at a time!)

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=474384#POST474384

Contact JVC and get another shop to come out. Tell them you will WAIT for a GOOD shop.... Your set IS working right now so don't rush!!!!

Before doing so call around and find out the names of a couple of high-end home theater places... see who does their servicing..

Then call JVC and see if they will authorize the shop YOU want to do the servicing!!!!

JVC 56G886 GREEN HDMI ... Contact the factory -TOSHIBA ????

PS: JVC isn't going to authorize a replacement set right off the bat. They have to attempt a repair or two before doing so. Ditto I would think for the store also, regardless if you have the box or not.

Vanessa
Unregistered guest
I have an older JVC model av35bp3. It is not rear projection but it has a great picture. I need to know how to get into service mode/code so I can adjust the vertical output. Can someone help me please. I don't want to get someone out for $150.00 (who may or may not know what they are doing) if this solves the problem. Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 232
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=JVC+av35bp

av35bp doesn't pull up much either. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=av35bp&btnG=Search

You sure about that model number?

BTW: You may want to post in the correct forum: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/2.html Direct link is down right now, the above is the main index.

Another idea would be to find out the YEAR your set was made, then search for simular models.. Because "getting into" the service menu, service mode is usually the same over several models.

Unregistered guest
Hey tvshopper and WeAreNotAlone69 --

Your fix worked great! I was showing the GSOD (green screen of death) on my JVC HD-56G786 and immediately blamed my LG upconverting DVD player (it's cheap!). I then did a search for "JVC GREEN HDMI" and found this page as #1 on google. So, just to recap, and get this all in one post - to get this fixed, you must do the following:

1) Turn on TV
2) Make sure the remote toggle switches are set to "TV" and "VCR" respectively
3) Press the "Sleep" button
4) Simultaneously press "Display" and "Video Status"
5) Press "2" (Self Check)
6) Turn off the TV
7) Wait for fan to turn off (30 seconds or so)
8) Unplug TV
9) Wait for 30 seconds
10) Turn TV back on

And it works! Thank all so very very much - saved many hours of returns, calls, frustration. Hope this helps out others.

-JohnnyHundo

Silver Member

Post Number: 364
JohnnyHundo,

Thanks fo saying "Thanks"... I spent many hours searching and posting on various boards about "HOW TO RESET THE HDMI PORT" on a JVC D-ILA series set without much (any) luck.
Finally a poster by the name of Cesar Maciel finally responded - No one else giving any useful info :-(

In case this thread gets deleted, or this board goes down, I posted the HDMI Reset procedure to:

http://www.e-repair.co.uk/faults/addtips.htm

Z Series JVC D-ILA , HD-52Z575, HD-52Z585, HD-61Z575, HD-61Z585

G Series JVC(D-ILA 56G786,

(Confirmed to work on the Z and G series JVC D-ILA tvs, Reset procedure will probally work on the "new" DesignerPro D-ILA series as well being release late 2005)

Symptom: JVC D-ILA Series HDMI input Green- Supposedly an optical sensor trips, if if back cover left off and power is reapplied with back cover off. (Uncofirmed, but there IS a reference in your owners manual saying NOT to take the back of the set off, becuase of the HDCP software license.)

Fix: Using regular remote as shipped with TV, Enter Service Menu. Select 2 for Self Check. Then turn the TV off, after the fan turns off, unplug the power cord. Wait 30 sec+ Reconnect the power cord, turn the TV on, and the HDMI port is re-enabled.

BC_Canada_1
Unregistered guest
Excellent discussion and results, I used your 10 step procedure using my JVC remote control to resolve my HDMI green screen which occurred after 2 weeks of proper behavior on my JVC DLP projection TV. I have an JVC HD-52G566 but this would likely work for the HD-52G586 and HD-52G576 in addition to other JVC models posted. I have informed the cable company who spent 40 minutes trying various diagnostics and resets on my Motorola DTC6412 HD box. They will send a bulletin to their technical staff. Your work has saved me much time and frustration.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us