Rear Projection TV Mirror/CRT Cleaning

Username: Avbob

Post Number: 1
Hello, I'm a first time poster who has failed to find the information I need on the internet. I own a Toshiba 43HX71 rear projection tv (vintage 2001). I've been unable to find an acceptable cleaning solution/method for the internal mirror and CRT's. I even contacted Toshiba and they responded by saying they cannot provide the information for liability reasons (so much for after market support). Instead they directed me to authorized tv service and repair facilities which is not practical for me since I live 3 hours from any major city.

I realize I need to be careful when performing this work but I'd appreciate any feedback on methods of cleaning.

Thanks,
Bob

Silver Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 180
Basically you want to use a cleaning solution that is designed for optics, such as camera lenses. Be sure that is safe to use on all types of glass and acrylic coatings. Some of the mirrors will actually have a special coating on them. Use a soft lint-free cloth to apply and dry. Keep your cleaning strokes in one direction. Avoid circular motion.

Also, be sure to open in a clean enviroment and always disconnect power first!

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 182
Liability reasons?... Maybe if you were in the High Voltage section...

Here is a conversation I had just yesterday with Micheal TLV, an ISF Calibrationist

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?postid=6430887#post6430887

PS: Just for a hoot, call the service center 3 hours away and ask them the same question... See if they will give you any info.

Silver Member

Post Number: 183
Bob,

Here's a link to some more usefull info: http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brandspecific/toshiba/toshiba_tips.html

Here's some info on Micheal TLV in case you don't know "who" he is.
http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/isf/isf_calibrators.html

Username: Avbob

Post Number: 2
A big thanks to the both of you. I truly appreciate the help.

Bob

Silver Member

Post Number: 196
Bob,

You may want to archive the info on the above links.... Never know when info on a site goes "poof"! (gets deleted)

Ran accross some more posts, saying to use a micro-fiber cloth with a drop of liquid dish washing soap.... Another poster saying he use baby dipers.

One more thing, before going into the set you really want to scan/read the service manual. PM me with your e-mail address and I may be able to find you one.

On the Tosiba 58h81 I had that I recently sold you take off the grill, unplug a multi-plug for the "Touch Focus" sensor(s)... Then remove about 6/8 screws and the screen lifts off. NOTE: when cleaning the lenses DON'T get them REAL wet as the extra liquid will seep into the lenses.

PS: Thanks for saying
"Thanks".

Silver Member

Post Number: 197
Bob, If your set does have the "Touch Focus" feature...

Make sure to unplug that sensor wire before "unhooking" the screen... It's no fun trying to hold the screen, while unplugging the wire by yourself. Might not be too bad on a 43 inch though, pain on the 57 though.

Username: Tater

Quantico, VA USA

Post Number: 2
Once again I am asking for information on how to take off the screen on a 50 inch proscan tv.I have dust on the inside.Can anyone help JOE

Silver Member

Post Number: 242
Joe,

Once again?

TIP: to increase the chance of someone helping you, and getting the RIGHT info.... Post the MODEL number of the unit... and maybe the year it was made. Someone may have a similar set, made in the same year and while not being the "exact" model may be able to give you some pointers as most of these sets are pretty much the same... Just the case size being bigger or smaller.

To try to answer your question... UNPLUG the unit...

On most sets you first remove the speaker grill(s)... At the bottom of the screen should be approximately 8 -10 +/- screws.... Remove, then screen should lift off.

Before unhooking screen at top, check to be sure NO sensors are attached to screen assembly. If not you'll find out how much fun it is to hold the screen with one hand... while using your other "two" hands to unplug a sensor harness (yep that's three hands 1 to hold the screen (maybe 2!) and two to unplug any sensor wire, etc since left connected IF the screen is lifted up off the upper mounts before any such harness are disconnected.:-)

Lots of fun... and those screen aren't cheap so you don't want to scratch /damage it while taking it off.

If it was me, I'd locate a SERVICE MANUAL for the set...

Silver Member

Post Number: 243
Couple of typos'... in the above post... No edit button?????...

Username: Drkeeling

Phoenix, AZ US

Post Number: 1
I have a Pioneer SDP4053K projection (vintage 1991) that has never been cleaned. Works great but the image quality is not what it could be. Probably due to 15 years on AZ dust. My manual is of no help in detailing how to get access for cleaning and neither is the online service manual. Anyone have experience with this model?

Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 246
Duane,

91 model.... and you think you're going to find someone that can walk you thru removing the screen and cleaning the lenses?

Not many people are going to know that set. Are you saying you found a online service manual... and that manual does NOT tell you how to remove the screen?

Here's one site that you can look around on... Don't limit yourself to just Pioneer products on how to remove the screen... Most sets are attached pretty much the same.

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brandspecific/pioneer/pioneer_tips.html
http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brandspecific/pioneer/screen_removal.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us