Why are you going rear projection over Front Projection?

Username: Paul98

Post Number: 10
I would like to know the reason most of you are going for a rear projection tv over a front projector?

is it due to too much light in your room, or because you haven't thought about front projection,...?

Silver Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 169
Front projection is not practical for everyday use. Bulbs are twice as expensive, and bulb life is about half as long.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
twice as expensive as what, and half as long as what?

Silver Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 171
Uhh, rear projection, what else would I be talking about?

Do your research. Most front projection lamps have a rating for 2000 hrs. They are subjected to more heat due to the compactness and put out more lumens compared to rear projection.

Silver Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 172
Most front projection bulbs cost anywhere from 350 - over 600 bucks. A typical rear projection bulb sells for ~200 bucks. Here's a link for some pricing comparisons.

http://www.ercservice.com/lamps/sony.html

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
From what I have seen the prices very quite a bit for both rear and front projection. It really depends on your equipment, and the lamp you need. Also I am not sure how rear projection rates there lamps. is it how long untill it's half as bright as it started with or is it untill it dies.

You would expect front projection to need more expensive lamps or have them replaced more often. As they are generally going to have to be brighter than a rear projection.

Also I know with front projection you don't want to turn it on and off rather quickly. Is it the same for rear?

But then again front projection is usually cheaper than rear, plus you get a bigger picture. Anyways back to the question.

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 133
Besides the lamp costs/life, also consider what kind of room /set-up your going to need for a front projector system.

Like HD Fanatic said above front projection is not practical for everyday use.

If you have a dedicated room, set-up for front projection, go for it.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 704
Exactly, I was weighing both front and rear projection, and went with rear for 3 major reasons.

1) Wiring - All my existing cabling is max 8ft long, not nearly long enough to stretch around the room or through ceilings and walls to reach a ceiling mounted front projector. Also how much does a 25 ft decent HDMI cable run?

2) Renting - don't own a house yet

3) Room lighting - the JVC HD-ILA I bought is probably 10x brighter than the 51" Panny CRT it replaced. I can now easily see the screen in all lighting situations except direct sunlight on the screen

Bronze Member
Username: Imustbecrazy

Post Number: 33
Front projection still has focusing issues. As well as, people walking infront of the source.

But, again, you can truly get a Huge picture, so it does have it's advantages.

My company has an office in Maine. Our large confernece room has one wall that is curved to compensate for the projector's lense.

One last question though, if you hang the projector from the ceiling, would not the bottom of the image be a little distorted?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Digital projectors don't have that focus problem, curved screens were used with CRT projectors. and why would that bottom be distorted.

Silver Member

Post Number: 136
Paul, Why are you asking "WHY" people have gone with RP over FP... Sounds like you already know alot about FP.

The amount of lighting comes into play.
The room it will be going in will need wiring $$$$ .
Besides that you're going to have a room suitable, big enough with enough free wall space.

Then comes little details like people maybe not owning their own home (renting), or maybe they get transfered in and out every 2 years and not going the FP route for those reasons.

Cost is a big factor, figure in the cost of the FP itself, then add in the installation costs, the wiring, etc.

If you have a room big enough for a FP set-up, have the money to burn, and don't mind the lamp costs, go for it.

BTW: What mfg /model number fp units(s) are you talking about?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Yeah, I have had my FP for about 3 years now. I was just wondering what made people go rear projection over front projection? The only good reason I know if is being in a room with too much light.

I use the projector for HDTV, TV that I really want to watch large, DVD, and sometimes video games. Then I have a small 20 some odd inch tv for watching every day stuff like news, or some other random show that I don't really care about.

As for now owning a home, or getting transfered out every 2 years. During my 3 years I started in a rented house, then went 2 different appartments, and now in another house.

So I am just wondering why people would go RP over FP. Considering what size you can get for the price.

Silver Member

Post Number: 137
This a a repost someone else made regarding the pro's and cons RP vs Fp. A poster had asked:

"Hey guys maybe you can give me an opinion. I am seriously thinking now to return my RPTV for an Theater Projector. The price is about the same which is about 1600.00 and today I was at Frys and saw one that looked pretty good. But since I do not know nothing about them maybe you can assist me and let me know what the pros and cons owning an projector versus my RPTV.

The model I am looking at is made by CANON and the model# LV-S1."

The response was:

"First of all, the LV-S1 is a data grade projector (300:1 contrast ratio is the most obvious way of telling). While it may do a decent job as a laptop presentation device, for video it will fall well short of projectors designed mainly for video.

There are some video grade projectors that can be had for about the same price. The one getting the most attention due to the positive reviews and rock bottom pricing is the InFocus X1 (MSRP $1,600; 1000 lumens; 2000:1 contrast ratio; 3000 lamp hours; and faroudja DCDi video processing chip set). Its only obvious weakness is resolution, but as long as you don't have a viewing distance to screen width ratio any smaller than 1.5:1 then the lower resolution will hardly be noticeable, if at all. Of course if it is noticeable you can make the image smaller so that the ratio is more like 2:1 or until the image appears smooth enough for you to enjoy the picture without being distracted by any pixcelation.

As for the pros and cons of RPTV vs FP.

RPTV = PICTURE QUALITY
Unless you spend the big bucks, even a basic RPTV will outperform a FP.

RPTV = SPECIAL FEATURES
Automatic Calibrations (with newer top of the line models), PIP, Channel Surfing, etc are common place in RPTV, but will not be found standard in any FP.

RPTV = EASE OF SET-UP/USE
While digital projectors have made the set-up and operation much easier than CRT FPs, they still don't come close to the simplicity of the true plug'n'play of RPTV.

RPTV = VIEWING W/AMBIENT LIGHTING
The advantage here is very significant. The nature of a RPTV is that it is a CRT FP in its own dark room (the cabinet), and you the viewer are in another room. The screen is the wall between the two rooms. The end result is that the image remains quit clear and vibrant even with lots of light in the viewing room because the projection room remains in complete darkness and the screen is not reflecting light from the viewing room. The opposite is true in a FP system so in order to get a good picture, the lights must be controlled, and preferably snuffed out.

RPTV = LOW COST
RPTV are still significantly less expensive. For even the top of the line models like the new Toshiba HiDef RPTVs, for only $2,500 you get a superb 7" CRT displaying a 61" picture with all the latest technological advancements, dual tuners, scaler, interpolator, DVI-HPCP, and much much more. For a top of the line FP expect to pay well over $10,000 of course that wont come with a screen which if you are looking for top of the line with run you at least another $1,000.

OK, now its the FP's turn to show off...

FP = LARGE PICTURE SIZE!!!!
Yes Virginia, bigger is better! FP can produce very large images, and if the projector and environment allow for it, the images can also be very good, if not excellent.

FP = MINIMUM REAL ESTATE
Unless you have the room to spare, RPTVs can be quite intrusive. Most large RPTVs will require a space of about 2.5' x 5'.

FP = PORTABILITY
A typical 61" RPTV weighs in at over 300lbs. Compared to a typical DLP which weighs in at under 10lbs. Enough said.

FP = EASIER UPGARDES/REPAIRS
Just like the common argument between separate audio components vs integrated ones, FPs are easy to upgrade as they are just one part of the system. Also repairs are much easier to do on a projector than on a RPTV due to the portability factor.

BOTTOM-LINE:
If you are on a tight budget and want the best possible PQ, can't control lighting (or unwilling to for comfort or aesthetics), watch TV/movies with four or fewer people, sit very close to the TV, or don't mind a small picture, then RPTV is the way to go at this time.

If you have a bigger budget, willing to spend some extra time installing and setting it up, want to watch TV/movies with a large crowd, enjoy a large screen size (92" or more), don't have the room to spare for a large cabinet, want to move the projector around or travel with it, or willing to do what ever is necessary to control the lighting, then FP is the way to go."

This post was made in 2003, so the references to the older model numbers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 138
Paul,

This is a post someone else made, It being from 2003... I'm looking at the below prices and I'm trying to understand your statement saying fp is just a cheap as RP.

To me it looks like big $$$$ to get anywhere close to the specs and picture quality a RP set can give for allot less money. (that's right I said picture quality, not picture "quantity". A FP will give you more quantity... Sort of wondering about the quality.. at the SAME pricing -Translation I don't see how you will get as good a picture, since the picture IS "bigger" on the FP unit, unless you spend big $$$$ bucks.

PS: I would think that if say a 61inch RP was giving you 1024x768, that a FP would need to put out a higher resolution, given that the image is going to be blown up "bigger". The bigger the image, the more pixels, better resolution.. which means that it's going to cost more $$$$$$...

Looks like to me there are low end models, fp units designed for data (boardroom presentations, pie charts and stuff) .. and the high end FP models for "video"... Hd stuff, fast moving images, etc which cost the big $$$$$$$

BTW: What model /Mfg are you thinking about when you say the cost is about the same??????

I ask because when I build my next house I plan on maybe going the FP route, IF the cost is "close".

:-) :-) :-) :-)

SVGA
---------------------------------------------------
800x600 LCD $1,300-$7,000
* too many makes & models to list

800x600 DLP $2,000-$7,000

XGA
1024x768 LCD $2,100-$ 35,000

1024x768 DLP $2,200-$150,000

SXGA
1280x1024 LCD $16,700-$30,000
Sharp XG Series XG-V10WU
Panasonic PT-L6600U (Panasonic PT-L6600UL)
Barco BarcoReality 6500
Sanyo PLC-EF10NZ (EIKI LC-SX1UL & LC-SX1U) (Proxima Pro AV 9400) (Boxlight FP-95t)
Sanyo PLC-EF12NL (Sanyo PLC-EF12N)
Sony VPL-FE110
Sanyo PLC-EF30NL (Sanyo PLC-EF30N) (Christie Vivid Blue) (Dukane ImagePro 9058) (Proxima Pro AV 9550)

1280x1024 DLP $30,000-$130,000
Christie (many different models)
NEC (many different models)
Digital Projection (many different models)
Barco (many different models)
Panasonic PT-D7600U
Panasonic PT-D8600U
Panasonic PT-D9610U
Runco Reflection VX-5c
ProjectionDesign F1

1280x1024 LCoS $18,000
JVC DLA-M15U

1366x1024 LCD $14,600-$27,500
NEC GT2150
Digital Projection SHOWlite 3000sx
Epson PowerLite 9100i/NL (A+K EMP 9100)
Barco iQ R300 (Pro R300)
Barco iQ R400 (Pro R400)

1365x1024 LCoS $8,500-$75,000
Hitachi CP-SX5500W (Dukane ImagePro 9115) (Christie Vivid Red)
JVC DLA-G15U (G15U-V) (G150CL) (S15U) (S15U-V) (Dukane ImagePro 9015)
JVC DLA-G20U (G20U-V) (M20U) (M20U-V) (M2000LU) (M2000SC) (Dukane ImagePro 9020)
JVC DLA-M5000SCU

1400x1050 LCoS $10,000
JVC DLA-SX21

UXGA
1600x1200 LCD $45,000-$51,300
Barco Ultra Reality 7000
Sanyo PLC-UF10 (Christie Vivid White) (EIKI LC-UXT1)

QXGA
2048x1536 LCD $13,000
Lasergraphics LG2001

2048x1536 LCoS $225,000
JVC DLA-QX1G

PROJECTORS w/WIDESCREEN (16:9) NATIVE RESOLUTIONS
===================================================

WVGA
848x480 DLP $2,700-$8,600
(these all use the TI Dual Mode Chip so for 4:3 thay also offer a native 800x600 resolution)
PLUS Home Piano HE3100
PLUS Home Piano Avanti HE-3200
Runco Reflection CL-500
InFocus Screenplay 110 (Boxlight 12SF) (Toshiba TDP-MT5)
SIM2 HT200 DM (HT200 DMF)

858x484 LCD $1,800-$2,500
Sony VPL-HS2 Cineza
Panasonic PT-AE100
Panasonic PT-L200U (PT-AE200U)
Philips LC6231

1/4 HD
960x540 LCD $2,400-$2,800
Panasonic PT-L300U (AE300)
Sanyo PLV-Z1 (Boxlight Home Matinee 1HD)

WXGA
1280x720 LCD $5,000-$6,000
Epson TW100
Yamaha LPX-500
Toshiba TACP TLP-MT7

1280x720 DLP $10,000-$27,000
Runco Reflection CL-700
InFocus Home Screenplay 7200 (Toshiba TACP TDP-MT8U)
DWIN TransVision TV2 (TV3)
SharpVision XV-Z9000U
SharpVision XV-Z10000U
Yamaha DPX-1000
Marantz VP-12S2
SIM2 Multimedia HT300 (HT300 Plus)
Runco Reflection VX-1000c
Runco VX-5000C

1366x768 LCD $3,000-$20,000
Sony VPL-HS10 Cineza
Sanyo PLV-60HT (Boxlight Home Cinema 13HD)
Sony VPL-VW12HT
Sanyo PLV-70 (Boxlight Home Cinema 20HD)
Runco DLC-2000HD

WSXGA
1920x1080 LCD $13,000
Lasergraphics LG2001

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Welcome to 3 years ago, FP prices have dropped quicker than anything I have ever seen. If you spent 10,000 just a couple years ago, you could spend 2,500-3000 and get a better picture now.

Look at the prices and what you can get now, you can't even compare 2003 to today.

Heck you can get a projector like the x1 for about 600 bucks now. And can go with a 480p widescreen with good contrast for under 1 grand. Heck you can get a 720p LCD for right around 1k.

Look at something like the Optoma H78, which is a DLP 720p with DC3. YOu can get that for under 4k.

You can get one of the new LCD projectors with the daynamic iris, and no screen door for 2300.

Basicly those posts are completely useless, as they have nothing to do with a comparison today.

Eric Govoruhk
Unregistered guest
Stop trying to start a fight, people will buy what they want to buy

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
I will tell you why I went with RP instead of FP.

I want a TV room not a movie theater.

Silver Member

Post Number: 140
Paul... As I pointed out those posts were from 2003, so the info was going to be dated. As everything in electronics "drops" in price of course you're going to "get more" as time passes.

I still think you're going to have to spend on the upper end to get something that has the same picture QUALITY as a RP set.

There's no way you can blow up an image and get the same quality picture.... Unless you spend the big $$$$$$. Sure it's going to "look" bigger, but it isn't going to be the same QUALITY... unless both the RP and FP sets are rated the same DPI at the rated size. ( Both 720 dpi, the 120 inch display being a rue 720 dpi for each of those 120 inches.)

BTW: How much does a GOOD screen cost these days? I would assume they aren't giving those away these day, are they? That is part of the total cost, just like wiring and installation costs which have to be figured into the TOTAL cost of the system.

One last thing in regards to your comment about the above "re-posts" being totally useless.... Same could be said for your previous posts in which you provided no useful info :-)

You could have started out the thread by giving references (links, spec, prices) to the latest "xyz super duper FP sets" at such and such a price... And then posing your question.

The thread would become much more informative, and useful to those (like me) who at some point will be doing the the FP thing. I for one would welcome such info. I'm sure others would as well.

By posting such info, it would also reinforce your position, I for one would like to see a 100 inch display with the SAME SPECS, at the SAME PRICE as a 61-70 inch display for example.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
"Paul... As I pointed out those posts were from 2003, so the info was going to be dated. As everything in electronics "drops" in price of course you're going to "get more" as time passes."

Only thing is FP has dropped much faster than anything else. Just look at the costs of 720p DLP, and LCD's, for both RP and FP.

"I still think you're going to have to spend on the upper end to get something that has the same picture QUALITY as a RP set."

no you don't, you are going to be hard pressed to notice much of a difference unless the units are side by side. Even then, you have to be sitting close enough to the screen to notice the differences.

"There's no way you can blow up an image and get the same quality picture.... Unless you spend the big $$$$$$. Sure it's going to "look" bigger, but it isn't going to be the same QUALITY... unless both the RP and FP sets are rated the same DPI at the rated size. ( Both 720 dpi, the 120 inch display being a rue 720 dpi for each of those 120 inches.)"

But that doesn't really matter, as you are going to have a hard time noticing much of a difference. Also it depends on how far your sitting away from the TV. I guess you have a small set you can't really see anything thats wrong with the image. Where as with FP you can see most everything.

"BTW: How much does a GOOD screen cost these days? I would assume they aren't giving those away these day, are they? That is part of the total cost, just like wiring and installation costs which have to be figured into the TOTAL cost of the system."

Projector screens can cost as much or as little as you want them to.

"One last thing in regards to your comment about the above "re-posts" being totally useless.... Same could be said for your previous posts in which you provided no useful info :-)"

I wasn't looking to provide info if I didn't need to, more looking for answers to my question.

"You could have started out the thread by giving references (links, spec, prices) to the latest "xyz super duper FP sets" at such and such a price... And then posing your question.

The thread would become much more informative, and useful to those (like me) who at some point will be doing the the FP thing. I for one would welcome such info. I'm sure others would as well."

well then I guess I should post up some info on these new projectors that are coming out and what you can get now. Basicly unless you are looking for 1080p you can find something that isn't too expensive. Hopefully in a year or so there will be more 1080p projectors and the prices will drop. But you also need to remember that you need to be sitting a certain distance from the TV or you won't be able to see the higher resolution.

Silver Member

Post Number: 143
Paul,

I know you are "looking" for an answer to "your" question.... Understandable... but keep in mind that by phrasing the question as you did is like people that come here posting a thread asking for HELP and then the OP never posts back.

People take the time to post trying to help them out...And then the OP never posts back. (LOL)

I hate it when you take the time to help someone out... and then they don't bother to post back info.

I'm sure you've run accross these posts / threads... You spend a bunch of time writing something up.... Detailed instructions , links, etc... or info to a fix to their "problem"... and they NEVER post back. (or say "Thank You)

I've run accross this on other boards, people having the me-me-me mentally (I only want an answer to "my" question, Not caring about other peoples time, Or providing info that would HELP others besides themselves)

If you can post some links, reviews, etc that would be helpful as I for one would be interested in seeing those links, spec's, reviews of the new equipment.

Silver Member

Post Number: 144
Paul,
A small addition to the above post:

You do realize that this is the RP part of the forums, and without "links" to info about FP issues the responses you will get back will not be useful to you unless the person who does post back did the research between RP and FP just last week so to speak.
(Translation, I would think not many people here keep up on FP issues, Or know about the price drops you speak of.
I would think the number of people who know both FP and RP and then decide to go with RP is going to be small if the TOTAL pricing of the system is the same.)

Post some links to this super cheap FP stuff... I'd like to read some reviews, see some spec's and prices..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
check out www.projectorcentral.com, they have lots of reviews. Though unless you are only looking at the reviews of the just released equipment the info will be quite out of date.

I would say a better bet is to check out www.avsforum.com and look at both under and over $3500 projectors.

here are a couple reviews http://www.projectorcentral.com/panasonic_ae900.htm

http://www.projectorcentral.com/480p_projectors.htm

http://www.projectorreviews.com/review.asp?reid=43

You can get an idea of about how much you can get different projectors for here http://www.projectorpeople.com/, or projectorcentral also has prices.

cheneyp
Unregistered guest
I personally got a 50" DLP RPTV for several reasons: 1) The room I am putting it in does not have the right configuration to allow an FP setup. 2) For $2K I got a reasonable-sized set (~90lb) that included dual ASTC HD OTA/QAM tuners. 3) I looked at the wiring that would be required to run to the projector in the ceiling (and likely cost of long runs of HDMI/Component/DVI cables).

Bronze Member
Username: Imustbecrazy

Post Number: 34
Paul S.

"Digital projectors don't have that focus problem, curved screens were used with CRT projectors."

So are your saying "Digital projectors" don't use lenses?

"why would that bottom be distorted."
I would think that a projector mounted to the ceiling that the distance from the top of the screen to the projector is closer than the distance from the bottom back to the projector. So would you have a slight trapizoid?

Silver Member

Post Number: 149
Paul, Thanks for the links.. If the cost factor is close, longivity is good.... The only reason NOT to go with FP would be the room it's going in not being dark enough, or not being big enough if all the other spec's are inline with what the RP sets are doing these days.

Silver Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 175
Another disadvantage to front projection other than the ones listed above is mobility. If I want to change my furniture configuration around, I can do it with a rear projection set. With a FP system, your screen location is usually limited. Like someone said earlier, if I had a room specifically designed for it, then that would be great.

Paul S. you say that you use a 20 something " TV for everyday viewing. That just plain sucks. I would much rather watch my 57" everyday for everything. Hell, even my bedroom has a 36".

Silver Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 176
Also, I do not agree that the cheap front projectors look good. I saw an InFocus at Costco, price was about 1000 bucks, and the picture flat out sucked. The skylight in the store made the picture totally unviewable. It was so rediculous, I would have been embarrassed to show it in the store. Nobody in their right mind would have bought it.

I have seen some nice front projectors, but the price is usually around 3K for a good one, and that doesn't include the screen and the cables, not to mention the time to set it up and install it.

To each their own....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
"Also, I do not agree that the cheap front projectors look good. I saw an InFocus at Costco, price was about 1000 bucks, and the picture flat out sucked. The skylight in the store made the picture totally unviewable. It was so rediculous, I would have been embarrassed to show it in the store. Nobody in their right mind would have bought it."

whats your point? ofcourse the picture sucked, you said it yourself there was a skylight in the store. Not to mention I am sure it wasn't calibrated. But to make your decision on something that has nothing to do with how good the picture would actually look when you use it. Thats like saying HDTV's suck because you watched some standard def television and it was all grany. There is no point. Untill you see something like that in a dark room you won't have any clue how good the picture is.

"Paul S. you say that you use a 20 something " TV for everyday viewing. That just plain sucks. I would much rather watch my 57" everyday for everything. Hell, even my bedroom has a 36"."

Why do I care if I watch the news at 20, or 57 inches? Then I would much rather watch movies, HDTV,sporting events,... at 80"+. 57", heck 65" tv's look small now.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
If these stores had projectors setup in a totally dark room, properly calibrated, with decent source material, and like 92" or larger screen. They would sell like crazy, but they don't which leaves them not looking good.

Silver Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 177
Okay Paul, you have made yourself clear that you like your front projection. Now go back to the front projection forum and leave the rest of us happy rear projection owners alone. Thank you and good-bye.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
I am just trying to get some information on why people went with RP. After I have that information I can recomend and show if it would be better for some people to go FP. As most don't even consider it, think it's too expensive,... But I wanted to know from actual RPTV owners.

Silver Member

Post Number: 155
Paul S,

I for one am thankful I ran accross this thread.

I for one thought that the UP Front costs of a FP unit was in the many thousands of dollar range still. (As you know you can drop many thousands of dollars into a theater room. Nice to hear the price of the projectors have dropped.)

Based upon what you know, How much would it cost to build up a system that gives a compareable picture to what the current RP do?

(Translation, I've haven't done allot of research on FP units.... I'd want a system with 720p, 1080p or GREATER.... No 480 crap-ola... No pie-chart presentation grade stuff -i.e LOW end.

I want a NICE clear picture at 100 /120 inches...)

ON the total costs...
How much are those 120 inches screens for example?
Cables if ceiling mounted?
Typical installion costs? (Those AV guys don't work for cheap)
External tuners? - that is a cost over what comes installed on a RP set...

The above would be a reason to go with RP over FP.

That fiqures into the total cost.

Read some of the links you previously posted, nice to see they are making the unit "bookshelf friendly" so you can use regular cables...

(I'd rather have the unit "mounted" up in the ceiling though if for no other reason that theft.

Having a unit that costs several thousand dollars just sitting on a bookshelf that weighs only a few pounds screams "steal-me" bigtime.)

Got to run,,, Got stuff to do

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 910
Why the wife and I chose RP over FP

#1- ambient light:
I don't want to close the drapes on a sunny day.

#2- value/cost:
You get much more in a RP set in the same price range. Higher pixel counts, cheaper longer lasting lamps and usually more inputs and flexabilty. A good screen is not cheap either.

#3- setup:
If we were going to get a FP, I would want it done right. Ceiling mount, wires ran though the walls and hidden, components hidden, and a nice motorized drop down screen. It would have taken weeks before i could enjoy my setup. I also could not easily move it to our larger room for Superbowl parties and such.

If I had the room/money, I would love a dedicated theater room with a nice FP.

Username: Tv_mike

Post Number: 1
I chose a rear projection set primarily due to the constraints of the room the TV is in.
1) I have a large window directly behind the main seating position.

2) The room is fairly small. So the furthest I could arrange the couch to be away from the screen is about 10'.

I agree that the quality of the FP systems has improved immensely over the past couple of years but, I believe to get the most out of an FP set up, you need to have a large and fairly dark room. Another concern I would have is the black level. This is my biggest disappointment with the my RP LCD set and I can't believe that the FP systems can out perform them without an outrageously priced screen.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
"I for one am thankful I ran accross this thread.

I for one thought that the UP Front costs of a FP unit was in the many thousands of dollar range still. (As you know you can drop many thousands of dollars into a theater room. Nice to hear the price of the projectors have dropped.)

Based upon what you know, How much would it cost to build up a system that gives a compareable picture to what the current RP do?

(Translation, I've haven't done allot of research on FP units.... I'd want a system with 720p, 1080p or GREATER.... No 480 crap-ola... No pie-chart presentation grade stuff -i.e LOW end."

You won't be getting any 1080p projector this year for less than 10k. Now next year there should be some 1080p projectors that arn't that expensive. But you can get a great picture out of a 720p LCD projector for under 2k. Then there are the new 720p projectors that just came out with some good stuff on them which are around 2k. Then there are the 720p DLP projectors, such as the Optoma H78DC3, which is a DarkChip 3 projector it's very nice, but costs just under 4k. Then there are other 720p DLP projectors that give a great image though not as good as the H78, those cost under 3k. Mitsubishi just released one and Optoma has one coming out very soon.

"I want a NICE clear picture at 100 /120 inches...)"

That is no problem at all, all these projectors will be great at those sizes. Though you might want to choose screen size depending on how far your going to be sitting from the screen.

"ON the total costs...
How much are those 120 inches screens for example?
Cables if ceiling mounted?
Typical installion costs? (Those AV guys don't work for cheap)
External tuners? - that is a cost over what comes installed on a RP set..."

You could build a screen yourself for like 50 bucks, or buy an entry level screen for 200-300. I haven't looked into screens lately so I can't give you much info on that. Cables arn't any different, though you will need longer cables if you keep your av components in the same place as you would with a RPTV. There really isn't anything special about getting a signal to the projector. It doesn't have any built in tuners so if you want to watch tv, you can use the vcr outputs, or from a cable box. Instalation isn't anything special as the projector themselves are light they don't need much for a mount. It's quite easy to make your own also.

"Read some of the links you previously posted, nice to see they are making the unit "bookshelf friendly" so you can use regular cables...

(I'd rather have the unit "mounted" up in the ceiling though if for no other reason that theft."

It's nice to have it mounted also because it's light you dont' want anyone knocking it down or doing anything to break it.

Silver Member
Username: Revan

Los angeles, Ca Usa

Post Number: 183
i went with rear projection cause of the simple
set up. Pauls TV had it set and ready to go in
5 mins. My next tv will be a FP tho, 60" isnt all
that big compared to say an 8' x 10'.unless they
have a 120" + rp, then i would get that.

Silver Member

Post Number: 171
Paul derouin,
I'm wondering: How are you going to MOVE a 120"+ RP tv?

With a crane?

Second question: How are you going to get it thru a doorway?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us