Sony or Dell LCD

Unregistered guest
Hi!

I'm in a bit of a quandry regarding the purchase of an LCD HDTV for my bedroom.

I'm limited, thru space, to a 19" model (though larger TVs are available for the same price).

I've narrowed my choice down to either a Dell W1900 at $600.00 or a Sony S19A10 (Bravia in some markets)at around $900.00. I don't want to buy online.

Cost is not the issue up to $1000.00 but buying the Dell will allow me to also purchase a Samsung SIR-T451 HDTV over the air receiver (one of which I already own and am completely happy with) within the same budget.

DVD performance is the main issue. I've seen the Sony's performance on DVDs and it is stellar. I understand that particular care has been taken by Sony over proccessing.

I know the Dell has some problems with volume jumping due to poor remote-device interface but as I won't be using the internal sound that doesn't bother me.

Does any one have any experience how the Dell works with DVD. How's its black levels, deinterlacing etc.?

If it's good enough for occasional DVD viewing I'll probably go that route. It won't be my main theater display

fx
Unregistered guest
I own the Dell W1900 and like it a lot. I use it as my computer monitor and for late night viewing while bed since it is just a foot or two away.

It is fine for DVD's but the contrast ratio is only 400:1 so you might be disappointed in some movie presentations. Samsung makes a near identical model for almost the same price (just a bit higher) with similar specs as the Dell but it has 700:1 contrast ratio. If I were to replace my W1900 I would probably go with the new Samsung model.

I have a DVD hooked up via component cables, a direct cable coax feed that gives me all my analog cable channels and an Accurain HST 6000 OTA HD/Digital receiver on the remaining set of component inputs. Over all I am quite happy with this unit. Lately I have been net surfing late at night and having a PIP of the news on to save the life of my DLP bulb on my 61" RCA in the same room.

PS: Radio Shack is closing out the Accurain HST 6000 for $89.95. It is well worth the price if you find one still in stock near you.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 264
Talking to 'ourselves' again?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us