DVI Cable With HDMI Adapters

Username: Allgreektome

Post Number: 1
I apologize if this question has already been answered a million times over, but here I go anyway. I have a Phillips plasma tv with an HDMI input (no DVI input) and a Comcast high definition cable box that has an HDMI output (with a DVI output too). Bacause I am a knuckle-head, I already ran a DVI cable in the most inaccessible part of my wall and sheetrocked/painted. I never checked to see what kind of digital cabling my tv would accept (i.e. HDMI).

My questions are the following:

1. Can I put an HDMI adapter on the end of my DVI cable that will connect to the TV and have the other end of the DVI cable connected to the DVI output of the cable box? Will I lose any quality?

2. Can I put HDMI adapters on both ends of my DVI cable to achieve full HDMI functionality?

I appreciate any and all comments. Please keep in mind that I really do not want to rip open my wall again and run an HDMI cable. Thanks for understanding.

fx
Unregistered guest
1) Yes
1a)No
1) No

xvxvxvx

fx
Unregistered guest
1) Yes
1a)No
2) No

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 2
fx, thaks for the response.

Will it at least work if I put HDMI adapters on both ends? Do I get anything out of it?

I guess I should take a step back and ask what I am missing with full HDMI? If I connect my cable box to a good receiver/surround sound speakers, do I really need the audio that will be sent via HDMI to my tv? Is there anything else that HDMI brings to the table?

Thanks!

Post Number: 3
Also, is the length of the DVI cable a factor. I have a fifteen foot length that will connect my cable box to my TV. Will I lose any quality?

Thanks!

fx
Unregistered guest
Fifteen is at the extreme end of the spec for a DVI cable. HDMI is rated for much longer. It is better to buy a cheap HDMI cable than two dvi to hdmi adaptors. Keep in mind HDMI transmits digital audio, even if you use the adaptors your DVI cable in the middle will not transfer the audio portion so your still need a 15 foot optical or digital coax audio cable. Much better and cheaper to buy a long HDMI cable.

xvxvxvx
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us