DVI and HDCP

Username: Ironvalor

Post Number: 3
I just bought a Sony 55" LCD projection to hook up the new XBOX 360 ,( my sony has not been delivered yet, i get it oct. 24 . the reason i went with this model was the 3LCD technology )
i see no problem with hooking up the XBOX 360, but my PC is another issue. i have DVI out and the Sony has HDMI in. no VGA or RGB. the native resolution is 1366 x 768 . i would be happy to get 1280 x 720 if possible. i made the salesmen hook up a desktop to a 62" Mitsubishi Rear LCD ( dvi out to hdmi in using converter cable ) the start up screen would show then freeze. the online manual to my tv has one small note under hooking up DVI equipment which reads " important to hook up DVI equipment first then connect to HDMI " and then theres HDCP to deal with. will i be able to get my tv to be a awsome monitor or what? .. i already have powerstrip downloaded and installed crossing my fingers that i will be able to have a kickass monitor...i realize buying this model may have cost me the hook up of my PC, but
i wanted that awsome picture. and theres always XBOX 360 ...
i guess what i need to know is " video card DVI commpatable with HDMI-HDCP ??

Dell 8400 3 ghz
geforce 6800 256mb
3 gb ram

im not sure if my video card is HDCP compliant.

any tips will be much appreciated ...
THANX

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 104
Don't know if it will help, but here's some info that may help someone else if it does not help you directly.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/feature-dvi-hdmi-hdcp-connections-11- 2004.html

geforce 6800 256mb ?

Check the ATI site. How old is it? If it's fairly new it may be HDCP compliant.
PS: If you find out, post back.

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
http://dvi.baumannpaper.com/

Post Number: 4
thanks WeAreNotAlone69 , those links helped
alot. the first link leans hard to DVD sources, boxes, etc...and it does mention DVI to HDMI should have no problem. the second link noted that the native resolution should be set to your card using powerstrip.

my graphics card is an integrated PCI express
geforce 6800 256mb. i use the word integrated
because searching the product on the market only
results in slightly different cards. i went to Nvidia's website for the specs and does not mention HDCP compliance for this card. but i see
that those "different" cards i mentioned are HDCP compliant.. ( makes me feel like i have the striped down model or something ...LOL )
is HDCP that much an issue anyway when
converting DVI to HDMI ?

right now im using a 17" LCD and the card's
control panel has options to treat it as HDTV.
Nvidia's forceware enables me to set resolutions something like powerstrip.

i think my concern is getting the signal from
the PC to look like this 17" LCD
( read the text , surf the web , multiplayer
games, etc. ) this is the first LCD TV i ever
bought so you can see my concern about it.

nevertheless XBOX 360 should be sweet.

thanks for reply,

later

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
Bryon,

Most tvs AFAIK are being built to the HDMI spec, with is basiclly DVI-I? With Audio and where the problem begins HDCP (Copyright Protection BS Hollywood has forced mfg's to add.)

Without HDCP, a TV with a HDMI HDCP input will not work unless the video output source DOES have the HDCP. The only work around being that you can get an adapther to install on the end of the cable which converts the signal to analog component, then feed that signal thru your component inputs.

That's what I've read, And I hope the hollywood types that added this BS go to an early grave, followed by a one-way trip to hell.

On the intergrated card, yes in most cases the card may be crippled in one way or another, or missing features. You'll have to reasearch that to confirm one way or another. Try contacting DELL maybe if they installed the card. Contact the mfg of the set.

Post Number: 5

i appreciate the help. and im sure there will be some type of conflict if my card is not HDCP compliant. so that will narrow my choices down between an adaptor or new video card. which is a no brainer because getting a new card would do 2 things 1 upgrade my computer and 2 be HDCP compliant. i got the set for the upcoming
XBOX and when researching big screen LCD's
DLP's, and plasma. for what i wanted to do
LCD was the best choice.

so in the future when i upgrade my card
im sure i will be happy with the choice i
made. i could have gotten an Hitachi 50 "
LCD with DVI in. but it was a floor model
( phase out ) and was in the store for a
year.. and i said hell no , not for
that kind of money.

it might take just a bit longer,
but in the end i will have a kickass setup.

thanx

Silver Member

Post Number: 112
Byron. but sure to POST back what card you get, where you got it, price....

And your settings, observations...

PS: Good call for NOT getting the set with only DVI in... seems that DVI only lasted for a year... (Before the Hollywood types got it killed I bet.)

I be the same thing happens with HDMI-HDCP... once someone cracks it.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 897
Byron-

My ATI video card (radeon 9000) has a DVI out that is not HDCP compliant. When I hooked up a DVI to HDMI cable to my JVC, I get a blank screen. I upgraded to a newer ATI videocard with DVI output that was HDCP compliant and it works great.

Another option is to buy a DVI to component adapter. ATI sells one for about $20, and they can also be found all over Ebay. You will get the full HD resolution, and they work pretty well.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 898
When you get your PC working on your set, you will mostely have alot of overscan, and the task bar might be cut off. Try a resolution of 1200x666. It should fit the screen just about right, and nothing will be cut off.

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
RE: Old ATI video card (radeon 9000) has a DVI out that is not HDCP compliant. When I hooked up a DVI to HDMI cable to my JVC, I get a blank screen.
I upgraded to a newer ATI videocard with DVI output that was HDCP compliant and it works great.

Mr. Lynch,

Radeon 9000, not HDCp compliant, blank screen unless adapther used, converting to component.

Which video card did you "upgrade" to that works via HDMI HDCP...
Did it come with the cable...
Does it tranafer Audio /SOUND via that cable to the TV?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 899
I believe the card I use is the Radeon 9550. You can check the ATI website for other HDCP compliant cards if you want something more powerful. My card is decent with PC games, but for a card under $100, I didn't expect top of the line perfomance.

It did not come with a cable, I picked up a DVI to HDMI cable off of Ebay for around $20. It works perfect. I'm not paying $100+ for the monster cable version that most electronic stores sell.

DVI does not carry sound, you will have to hook your soundcard up to your TV or reciever. My soundcard supports Dolby digital and DTS and contains an optical out. If you don't have that, you can use a 2.5mm (headphone) jack to RCA cable adapter.

Post Number: 6
thanks for all the good info, i don't plan
on upgrading my video card until
christmas or so ... but i will do much
homework from ATI and Nvidia before my
next purchase. because im not only
wanting HDCP compliance but power as
well.

Mr. Lynch mentioned an ATI, DVI to component adapter that supports high res... so i wanted
to ask if thats as good as VGA?.. would
you be able to read text and surf the
web clearly?. a $20.00 adaptor could
hold my over until i upgrade.

thankx for the great info ... im sure
someone else in Cyberspace will be glad
we talked about this.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 900
I ran that adapter for a while until I bought the new videocard, and I also use it with a friends laptop.

I can say that it works great. You can clearly read text, surf the web and plays games. The biggest problem you come across is getting the resolution just right. When you plug the adapter into the ATI card, the catalyst software will give you the option to select an HDTV resolution. I set it at 1280x720p, but there was slight over scan that can be corrected buy going with a slightly lesser resolution. That's where I can up with the 1200x666.

Post Number: 7
that seems like its worth $20 bucks,
if i have problems with my video card and
the HDMI hook up.

i should'nt have a problem adjusting
resolution , between powerstrip and the
Nvidia Forceware drivers that already
support HDTV formats. your solution of
1200x666 should work fine.
i wouldn't even mind some black edges
if i can tweek text clarity, and
the web.

im just dying to get it here and try
things out. ( knowing in the back of my
mind that this SOB (HDCP) won't get the
best of me.) one way or the other its
going to be sweet. can't wait.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
reat news!! great news !!!

dude, it works bro, very very nice !!...
i got the set today. huge SOB .. lol. and
yesterday i picked up a DVI to HDMI converter from radio shack for 40.00 bucks just to start from there and see what happens. and
awsome dude, it works great .. i have to tweek the
resolution, but my Geforce is up to date . and that makes me very very happy. Geforce 6800 series

my set is a sony KDF-E55A20 55" rear projection LCD. i already looked at madden 05' and its SWEET!
i got this for the XBOX 360 , but man im happy my
PC works on this thing. i was drove for a week.

i appreciate the input WeAreNotAlone69

the default refresh rate is 60hz and when i drop
the box there is no other choice. im happy with
this if it never hurts the set.

thanx

Gabe13732
Unregistered guest
I have the Sony KDF-E55A20 LCD TV, and the XFX 6600 GT video card w/ dual DVI outputs. I figured out that running the resolution around what Mr. Lynch said @1200x666 allowed Windows and normal web surfing to be fully viewed without the taskbar or what not being cut off.

I run a DVI-to-HDMI cable from my card to TV.

My problem is when games, like DOOM3, is started/played. The game starts up at 'regular/normal' resolutions (800-600, 1024-768...) and at those settings, the image is slightly overscanned. The right and bottom of hte screen gets cut off. This gets annoying considering I have to either play the game in a window or i have to sacrifice information that is displayed in those areas.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to get games to display at the custom resolution (1200x666) to allow full screen playback?

I have tried to configure my TV to underscan at -1, and it helps, but info is still lost.

fx
Unregistered guest
Download a free program called Powerstrip Gabe. It will allow you to custom configure your settings for a perfect fit.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member

Post Number: 207
Gabe,

Here's a thread with alot of good info that may help: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=591548
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us