Pioneer PDP-5060 vs Panasonic TH-50PX50U

Sheila H.
Unregistered guest
After much research and perusing of the forums, I have decided to purchase the new Pioneer 5060. Now, in the most recent Consumer Reports, they reviewed the Panansonic 50PX50U and claim it is "hands-down" the most superior plasma. I know the Pioneer is just hitting the stores, but does anyone have any first hand experience or information on this model, and likewise for the Panasonic model?

Mike Lund
Unregistered guest
Shelia,
I just purchased the Pioneer PDP-5060HD from an online vender. http://www.monitoroutlet.com/ It hasn't arrived yet. I had read the Consumer Reports reviews also. But they hadn't included the Pioneer 5060 which replaced the 5050 I believe and wasn't out at the time Consumer Reports had done their review of the Plasma TVs. I looked at the 5060 in a retail store and compared it to the Panasonic 50PX50U. I liked the picture on the Pioneer as much or better than the Panasonic. The reasons I chose the Pioneer over the Panasonic: Pioneer weights much less, Pioneer uses about half the electric power, I also like the media box and the extra inputs of the Pioneer. I plan to wall mount the unit and the media box makes it easier to hook up and change different video and audio wiring. I went to the Pioneer web site
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com
and went through their list of Authorized Dealers looking for the best price. I paid $4,390 which included shipping, insurance and there was no sales tax. There are better prices on the Internet, but I was worried about the warranty and I felt that their vendors would probably be easier to deal with. I hope I made the right decision. I think with everything I paid about $800 or so more for the Pioneer than the Panasonic. Quite a bit. I hope its worth it.
Good luck

jkim02165
Unregistered guest
I just purchased the Pioneer-5060HD. I got it from Invision Technologies, about $4390 delivered. I've had it for about 2 weeks, and I think it's a great plasma tv--I've found myself watching a lot more sports on HDTV just b/c the picture is so jaw dropping. I originally ordered the Panasonic 50PX500U (it's similar to the 50PX50U, but has better speakers and an extra set of inputs on the front of the set plus a built in SD media card reader). While waiting for it to be shipped out (there was a 3 week wait on backorder) I looked at both TVs at Best Buy (at Best Buy, the Pioneer goes by model pdp-5061hd); to me the picture on the Pioneer seemed much more vibrant--it really jumped out. Plus, the TV itself was much more attractive, from the glossy black cabinet, to being almost 2 inches thinner, etc. I eventually plan to mount the TV on my wall, and I think the thin profile and light weight of the Pioneer (about 45 lbs lighter than the Panasonic) will make a difference. I love the fact that the media box minimizes the number of wires connected to the TV. Anyway, I ended up cancelling my order on the Panasonic, spending about $800 more for the Pioneer, but I think it was worth the extra $--I have no regrets about it.

Bronze Member
Username: Bill984

Post Number: 34
check out the pioneer elite, unbelievable.

Mike Lund
Unregistered guest
The Pioneer Elite 1130 replaced the 1120. The MSRP price is only $500 more than the 5060. They both use the same plasma display. The Elite gives you a two year warranty instead of one year. The Elite also uses gold contacts I believe. The real difference is in the electronic extras. The Elite can fine tune the colors better. But the Elite doesn't seem to be discounted as much as the 5060 so the price difference is much greater. The pictures on all of them are getting pretty good. I looked at a 50" Samsung in Sam's Club and the picture looked pretty darn good. Especially for the price, about $3200 I think. The Pioneer Warranty is good only if you buy from a Pioneer authorized dealer so if anyone is thinking about purchasing one, I would check out the online dealers at Pioneer.com or call Pioneer to see if they will honor the warranty at the place you are purchasing it. The other thing is that the Elite 1130 is replacing the 1120. I would make sure I good the newer version if buying an Elite right now. Which one were you looking at Bill?

Gernot
Unregistered guest
I am also currently debating between the Panny 500U or the Panasonic 5060. I lean towards the 5060. I really like the picture and I like the overall style. Mike, are you happy with the TV? Also, do you guys think prices will go down some more in Jan/Feb??? I am hoping to buy the 5060 for $ 3.5K. Let's see - also I am not sure whether to purchase additional warranty. I really hate to buy extra warranty but this time it might be a smart move. Any thoughts?

E T Bayma
Unregistered guest
I already have a 50" 500u.

I have to say it does have few peers.

But I'm curiuos, why is there no listing for it on Panasonic.com? It seems to have fallen off the face of the earth or is it (hopefully) sold so well they stopped taking orders until they catch up?

Silver Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 112
HI guys. Congratulations on y'alls new purchases. Both are good sets and winners in my opinion. The Picture quality on both, when calibrated is actually quite close. Panny still has a slight edge in black levels--in a store like Best Buy-- this won't make any difference because the lighting is too bright, actually favoring LCDs over plasmas in general. In the dark, the Panny really shines. In normal room lighting in a home, I'd favor the pioneer.

Pioneer is pulling out of the direct manufacturing of plasmas in 2006, regretably.but it doesn't diminish their excellent contributions to the PLasma world over the years.

Andreas1
Unregistered guest
Hi. I am going to order the 5060 from RapidPlasma it sells for 3,970 +199 shipping. Does anyone have suggestions on whether to get the extended warranty or not? There are different options, but it would range around $400.

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
Check with Rapidplasma on their dead pixel return policy. If cceptable to you, then I wouldnt get the extended warranty- if not acceptable, then further research into how you will handle a dead/stuck pixel or multiples would be recommended, including whether or not the warranty would cover such events or not. I find the pixel issue tends to come up in discussions about Pioneers as far as probelms, if any problems occur at all, which don't in most cases.

Andreas1
Unregistered guest
Thank you for your reply. Since Rapidplasma charges $629 for their 3yr extended warranty, I don't think it is worth the price. What do you think?

Silver Member

Post Number: 123
That is too high. There are other warranty services that will do the 3 year for about 400 bucks US dollars.

But again, pose the "what if" questions regarding dead pixels. Thats important IMHO.

Mike Lund
Unregistered guest
I do really like the Pioneer PDP-5060HD. As far as the blacks go I think the Pioneer and the Panasonic 50U or 500U are about the same. Who you buy the TV from is a big issure with Pioneer. Under the heading of WHAT IS NOT COVERED on the Pioneer warranty it says, "IF THIS PRODUCT WAS PURCHASED FROM AN UNAUTHORIZED DISTRIBUTOR, THERE ARE NO WARRANTIES..." The caps are Pioneer's not mine. Once again the weight (Pioneer display 57 lbs, media box 10 lbs vrs the Panasonic 114 lbs), the
lower power consumption (Pioneer5060 355 watts vrs Panasonic 500U 555 watts) and the media box of the Pioneer with all connections going to it instead of having to reach beneath and behind the Panasonic display, are the reasons I chose the Pioneer over the Panasonic. I just read the Pioneer warranty which does not address the number of pixels that have to be bad before it is a warranty issue. But in the manual it says that, "If the defective pixels are visible at a nomal viewing distance of between 2.5 meters and 3.5 meters (8.2 and 11.5 feet) while viewing a normal broadcast (i.e. not a test card, still image or single color display) please contact the supplying dealer. If, however, they can only be seen close up or during single color displays then this is considered normal for this technology." Kind of interesting on the pixel issue. Basically they also say that a few bad pixels are, "... common to all plasma displays because it is a consequence of the technology." As far as Pioneer going out of the plasma business, I haven't a clue. They are just lucky I didn't buy some of their stock. If I had it would have immediatly droped and the company may have gone bankrupt. I'm not sure if it is my lack of skill in buying stocks or a black cloud that I bring to a company as soon as I have a littly bitty part of ownership. I like the TV, it has a good picture and is easy to use. As far as value for the money, I think the Panasonic 50U probably has the edge. However, for the reasons stated above, it was worth it for me to get the Pioneer PDP-5060HD. As far as extended warranty goes, I didn't get one. Most electronic problems happen within the first few months if they are going to happen. That said, for a bit more that a hundred a year to protect a $4,000 investment, it is probably the thing to do. Just remember, it is a lot easier to hang 57 lbs on the wall instead of 114 lbs. Good luck.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
i bought the 43" elite hd930pro and my friend bought the 50". i was at best buy today, one with the"magnolia home theatre" and in an area with all the better plasma's my wife and i both picked out the elite from across the room based on picture only.
mine won't be her for another 10 days because the stereo stand i ordered is not in yet and i needed to paint the wall before hanging it. i am usinng a swing arm type mount on mine.

Unregistered guest
I just got my 50px500u 4 days ago for $3800 out-the-door at the "Tektronics" store in OC, CA. The image quality is excellent. The weight is not an issued. Two persons can put it up easily just like the 57 lbs pioneer. Mine was mounted on top of the fireplace. I regreted of getting it instead of the 5060. The 500u is too thick plus another 5" for the wall-mount bracket. Bunch of lines run into the back of TV. The power cord not along enough. The speakers on the sides is covered with a black shining plastic tapes with tiny holes on it. When you look at these tape strips, you can see all kinds of ripples on them. The ripples are very annoying. This plasma cost about $4000 and came with stupid plastic speakers grills. Can't return it because of 20% restocking fee. So better to stick with Pioneer.

spartcat
Unregistered guest
2 things:
A DTV City rep told me today (11/30/05) that the 500U won't be available until at least February. So much for THAT choice.

aspect ratio adjustment question. Is the Justify mode (only on Panasonic, apparently) noticeably better than wide mode?

Silver Member

Post Number: 172
No. First- its the Just mode. The other modes are normal, full, and zoom.

Silver Member
Username: Xdrummer03

Tenessee

Post Number: 147
Nest buy covers all of its plasmas for 399.99 for 4 years and its 549.99 on the Pioneers. Covers everything but burn in and physical damage.

Silver Member

Post Number: 175
400 for four years if it covers dead pixels seems like a winner to me. Its the Pixels that will get ya. Cant fix em.

Galileo
Unregistered guest
Good point, can't repair dead pixels and if the company that covers the extended warranty stays in business to honor it.

Silver Member
Username: Skyliner17

Saint Paul, MN United States

Post Number: 197
I personally like the Panasonic better than the Pioneer. Looking at both side by side and owning both before I like panasonics picture more. The colors are more vibrant and real or true than the pioneer and other plasmas. But i do like the fact that the pioneer weighs around 30 pounds less and has more inputs and options and looks better in daytime. That is why I decided to go with the Industrial model, the Panasonic 50PH8UK. It is a little bit lighter than Panasonic 50px50u and thinner. Also has no speakers or tuner which I dont need anyways. I also have option of which inputs I want and change them out. I also get the best picture which is really the top reason anyways of which plasma to go with...

PDX Steve
Unregistered guest
I purchased a Pioneer 5060 and loved the picture, but found a stuck red pixel right in the middle of the screen. Called Pioneer, who responded without batting an eye "my boss says 1 pixel is ok." I insisted that it wasn't and they told me someone from Pioneer would call be back within the next couple of days. Pioneer never did call me back, but my dealer allowed me to exchange the TV for an Elite Pro930.

Imagine my disappointment when the new TV had a stuck green pixel. In addition, while this is supposed to be a superior unit, the picture does not seem as good as the first set. I sent an email to Pioneer customer service, informing them that no one ever called me back on the first TV, and that the same problem exists on a second TV. They told me over a week ago that an engineer would contact me shortly.

I sent a followup email today, telling them that an engineer never contacted me. They responded, telling me to phone customer service. After half an hour on hold, I was told they had no record of my case.

I'm ready to ask my dealer to take this back, and don't plan on purchasing Pioneer again. Don't know what kind of QA they have in place, but their customer service is poor and unresponsive.

Unregistered guest
Ditto on the story from PDX Steve. I am on my second 5060 and AGAIN have a stuck pixel at the center of the screen. I haven't called customer service but it appears like this problem is unfixable. Good thing I am in my 30 day return policy.

PDX Steve
Unregistered guest
I spoke with the service manager at my dealer, and he says that eventually the stuck pixel will burn out and be less noticible.

The Pioneer warranty, by the way, makes no mention of an acceptable defect rate for pixels, so I don't buy their 1 pixel ok assertion. From my conversation with Pioneer a few weeks ago, it sounds like they are getting lots of calls about this issue. Their strategy appears to be ignore and hope the customer goes away. Luckily I purchased from a respectable dealer.

PDX Steve
Unregistered guest
Put in the wrong model number ealier. It was the 4360, which is the 43" equivalent of the the 5060.

I have also let Pioneer know that I have taken my experience to this forum, and told them I will update the forum if they would like to respond to and resolve my issue.

Anaki
Unregistered guest
I ordered a Pioneer PDP-5060 plasma TV for $3,970 at Rapid Plasma. The product was not shipped for 2 weeks, and I am still waiting for it. In addition, I ordered a surge protector HT 850 from Monster Cable. I was charged $89. Instead they shipped the surge protector AV 800 from Monster Cable, which sells for $49.95 anywhere else. Rapid Plasma did not accept a return or exchange for the item ordered. Instead, they refered to their policy that if an item is not in stock, they would ship a similar one without price compensation. Further, the people are very
unfriendly. After completing the purchase, they try to sell a lot of other products (overpriced extended warranties, cables, surge protectors). They even told me that they "don't have customers like me everyday," after I called and asked for an exchange. For the tv I ordered, they would not even provide me with an tracking number. I filed a complained at BBB, and it will be processed probably by January 2006.

Anaki
Unregistered guest
I ordered a Pioneer PDP-5060 plasma TV for $3,970 at Rapid Plasma. The product was not shipped for 2 weeks, and I am still waiting for it. In addition, I ordered a surge protector HT 850 from Monster Cable. I was charged $89. Instead they shipped the surge protector AV 800 from Monster Cable, which sells for $49.95 anywhere else. Rapid Plasma did not accept a return or exchange for the item ordered. Instead, they refered to their policy that if an item is not in stock, they would ship a similar one without price compensation. Further, the people are very
unfriendly. After completing the purchase, they try to sell a lot of other products (overpriced extended warranties, cables, surge protectors). They even told me that they "don't have customers like me everyday," after I called and asked for an exchange. For the tv I ordered, they would not even provide me with an tracking number. I filed a complaint at BBB, and it will be processed probably by January 2006.

BG Tanzenberg
Unregistered guest
Hi Marc and everyone else:

This guy is willing to sell his 5 month old PRO-1130 for $3800 to me. 2-year warranty from Pioneer. He got the TV from an auction where he ended up paying $8000 for it. He intended to use the TV for his store but he is closing his store now and wanting to ged rid of the TV. So tonight I am driving to his place and I will have a look at it. What do I have to watch out for most? How can I detect if there are any dead pixels? How about the 2 year Pioneer warranty. If I would have a dead pixel problem later on would they take care of it? What do you think about the overall price. PLEASE HELP :-) I don't want to end up buying something I will be completely unhappy with due to the fact that there are problems with the TV.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
price is great for a great set. i doubt pioneer will honor a second owner warranty.

Silver Member

Post Number: 202
Play an allwhite screen' ny dead pixels will be black. Any stuck pixels will not be white ( red, Blue,green).

Run Digital Video Esssentials Intro--Observe the three colors on the speedy train. Make sure they llok like real red blue and yellow ( color decoder dirty check so to speak). Or use the filters if you know how.

PDX Steve
Unregistered guest
Don't worry about Pioneer honoring a second owner warranty; they don't even want to honor a first owner warranty.

After my complaint of a stuck pixel on my replacement set, a Pioneer engineer finally called me. He left a message for me telling me that my TV is within "manufacturer specifications" and there is nothing to be done.

In the message, he referred to the model number of my first set, and was oblious to all the followup information provided in my written complaint. He did not respond to my request for information on their specific policy on this issue, or on how these sets are passing through QA.

This appears to be the party line at Pioneer - that bad pixels are normal. However, unlike some other manufacturers, they make no mention (or exlusion) of this in their warranty or promotional literature. They have no interest in customer satisfaction, and do not want to honor their warranty.

Luckily, I purchased from a merchant that truly is interested in providing good customer service, and they are going to replace my set yet again. I will be inspecting the replacement set today.

I would not recommend purchasing a Pioneer unit unless you have the opportunity to inspect the set for bad pixels prior to delivery.

Silver Member

Post Number: 207
Yep. Pioneer has pretty stringenet requirements for pixels. They need a certain number or color and usually in the center as opposed to the side. Their policy was quoted on avsforum.com and it is much more restrictive than Panasonics.

PDX Steve
Unregistered guest
It wouldn't be so bad it they would state this up front on their warranty. Its one thing to exclude from the warranty like some other manufacturers do, its another to only state policies when a customer makes a claim. I feel they are being deceptive, and intentionally put up a roadblock at customer service.

Will Foster
Unregistered guest
I purchased a PRO-1130HD from Best Buy. It had one stuck (pink) pixel. I returned it for another set. It also had a pink pixel. Best Buy then agreed to open units until finding one without a stuck pixel. We opened and tested five (no small chore) - each had at least one stuck pixel, one had four... Best Buy offered to give me $1000 off my TV (net price $4,050 after discounts)...

I called Pioneer Customer Service. They said that this was hard to believe, especially in "Elite" series. However, all of these sets are considered "within specification".

I love the picture, and am able to ignore the one bad pixel (for $1k).

Silver Member

Post Number: 267
The Policy from Pioneer is not a secret- how else would I know? But you do have to know what to ask. Pioneer is shutting their plasma producion lines next year as far as native glass -- a real shame- as they have a good product. But they are getting destroyed by Panasonic and Hitachi on volume and do have these known QA issues.

Silver Member

Post Number: 268
BTW- There is no such thing as a pink pixel.

Will Foster
Unregistered guest
I guess the big question in my mind is whether the Pioneer OBQ pixel failures will also indicate the increased likelihood of pixel failures over the life of the TV...

Yeah, you're right - it's a red stuck pixel - just looks pink in a see of white...

Silver Member

Post Number: 271
Pixels arent supposed to go bad over time. HOWEVER- Mr Cuylar Blair had it hapopen on his Sony.

Username: Krishna123

San antonio, Texas USA

Post Number: 1
My PDP 5060 will be delivered next week. Please explain me how to look for these dead/stuck pixels (i.e. how to play the all white screen, etc.)

Silver Member

Post Number: 278
Well you must understand the difference between a dead and a stuck pixel. A dead pixel will be black- a hole so to speak. A stuck pixel will stay one color.

Some plasmas have an " inverso" function- ie you can project an all white screen. If not, the calibration disks like AVIA and DVE have them. However, if it isnt something you notice during normal viewing... I wouldnt get too worked up about it. A red stuck pixel dead center will be plainly obvious very quickly with normal viewing.

Silver Member

Tenessee

Post Number: 174
You may see some pixels dead out of the box.Most tv's have 2% of there pixels already dead out of the box.

Username: Justaguy

West Suffield, CT United States

Post Number: 1
Okay... now I am hesitant once again about making my leap into HDTV...

I was all set to buy the Panasonic TH-50PX50U, but it is heavily backordered most places.

I then looked at and decided to buy the Pioneer PDP-5060, but this dead pixel talk has me concerned.

DTVCity just got stock of the PDP-5060 yesterday, but there policy seems to be 1 pixel dead is okay.

Do Pioneer PLasmas suffer more dead pixles than Panny's?

Waiting to purchase...
- Chip

Mr. Jeremy
Unregistered guest
How soon does a pixel get stuck? I just purchased 5061HD from Best Buy and I still have until Feb. 13th to decide to get the extended warranty for $400/4yrs.

Bronze Member
Username: Highgear

CT. #1

Post Number: 16
I have two stuck pixels on my Panasonic TH-42PX5OU. They are connected diagonally and dead center of the screen. I have to say that I really don't notice it while siting 8-9 feet away. I got the TV last month and do have a three year extended warranty. I'm on the fence on weather to make a stink about it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 346
Dead and Stuck pixels are present out of the fctory in most cases. Usually pixels dont become dead or stuck with use or time.

Silver Member

Tenessee

Post Number: 210
As i noted above. :-)Also Chip ,TVs dont really have motre pixels goi out cause of brands.Its mainly just owning a plasma. Also Mr.Jeremy the 4yr Servie Plan through BestBuy is well worth it.Especially to cover the media box too and its in-home.Which one did you get it from? and how much cause it dropped a grand in price like 2weeks ago so get the differnce cause its on sell for $4,748.99.

Silver Member

Post Number: 348
Chip- the answer on the Pioneer question is actually yes. Furthermore, the return policy on the Pioneers is much more rigid than Panasonics as far as what qualifies as enough dead pixels for a return. Pioneer is a great display and I am glad they are still in the plasma business, but Panny has 50% of all plasma sales so there production costs are lower and their QA is higher. Pioneer pricing is also higher so to not be able to return a Pioneer Plasma is a really big deal with stuck/dead pixels.

Bronze Member
Username: Skasol

Post Number: 29
I too just bought the pioneer it's being delivered tomorrow, I upgraded from my samsung HPR4250 nice tv, but I wanted something bigger, I played on my samsung for 8 months but now I am wary about gaming on my pioneer, nothing really happened to my samsung, but the pioneer doesn't have pixel shift, etc.

Mr. Jeremy
Unregistered guest
to drummer03, I got mine at BestBuy in Arden Wy, Sacramento for $4300. It was $5000 at the time. I actually I bought the Panny TH-50PX50U and was ready to take it home when the store clerk found out it was back-ordered. Long story short, they offered pio and just paid for half the difference bet. panny and pio. Also used my BB credit card, so it's same as cash till Jan. 09.

Silver Member

Tenessee

Post Number: 211
Cool.Did you buy a bunch of stuff with it cause it you did they may have sold it for 4,000.

Mr. Jeremy
Unregistered guest
I did. A/v receiver, speakers, dvd player, etc... I tried to get it for $4000 but the guy wouldn't budge.

Bronze Member
Username: Skasol

Post Number: 32
I got my pio today, wow, that is all I can say, make sure you guys switch from that dynamic mode that is on, and calibrate your TV.

Edstar
Unregistered guest
I just noticed my local Costco here in san diego had the 50" 50u in stock for $3299. So if anyone's in the market for that Panny model try them first. Good hunting!

LOTL
Unregistered guest
Did a google search for "PDP-5060HD VS TH-50PX50U"
and came across this thread.
I looked at the Panasonic 42" at CC today and will check out the Pioneer at BB tommorow.
Tough call on the price difference. Best Buy has both and their online price is $4,750 for the Pio and $3,800 for the Pany. Almost a grand difference.
If the 2 are rated so close to one another in terms of PQ, then i think it s no brainer to go with the Pany. Id like to have the extra HDMI input and the breakout box would be nice but paying over 4K is a little to steep for me.
Id like to stick to a B&M store and not purchase through an online retailer but some of the prices you guys have gotten are pretty tempting.

Zinfandel
Unregistered guest
Pio 5060 is offered at $3900 by Coza Electronics, an authorized Pio dealer. We negotiated a bit from there, and while I paid more (last Friday) than I would for the comparable Panny 50/600U when it arrives and finally gets in the hands of the online discounters, it was not that much more and I don't have to wait for the Panny to be hit the market, work off all its back orders and fill the pipeline. I figure a couple of hundred bucks is worth getting it now, and I like the picture and the media receiver fo the Pio anyhow. Now, all I need is the set to arrive (probably Friday).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us