Recording two programs at once while watching a third

Username: Nina96

Post Number: 2
If I connect both a DVD Recorder (Panasonic DMR EH50) and a VCR (also Panasonic) to my Sharp LCD tv (model 32D7U), is it possible for me to record two different channels at once while watching a third? I have basic cable with no cable box. The cable from the wall would be connected directly into the DVD Recorder, the Output on the DVD Recorder would be connected to the In on the VCR, The Out on the VCR would be connected to the Ant/Cable Input on the TV.

Username: Ocaklilar

IstanbulTurkey

Post Number: 1
Did not try but shouldn't be a problem.

fx
Unregistered guest
Bridget,

You need a three way splitter (about $3 at Radio Shack) and one more piece of coax cable. Each device will need it's own input from the cable system to do what you want. Otherwise whatever channel the first device in the sequence is tuned to (in your example the DVD recorder) will only see that channel.

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 3
Ok, I assumed that because all three tuners were being used, I'd be able to record two different channels from both VCR & DVD Recorder simultaneously. But why does the manual (see diagram) for the DVD Recorder show hookup of all three devices without a splitter if this kind of recording is not possible this way? I mean why hookup both a VCR and a DVD Recorder for recording purposes, if I can't record from both devices on separate channels simultaneously? Why hookup both devices for recording tv shows? Even if I wanted to dub VHS tapes to DVD, I wouldn't need to use the VCR's tuner would I?Upload

Username: Ocaklilar

IstanbulTurkey

Post Number: 3
Bridget, your assumption and the diagram are both correct. Just hook them that way and try to record. Each device will be able to record/display its own tuner channel.

Post Number: 5
Thanks very much. I appreciate your help.

fx
Unregistered guest
Cunneyt is incorrect, try it and discover for yourself.

xvxvxvx

Silver Member
Username: Tonytiger

PA US

Post Number: 117
Look under the word CONNECTION. It says this is how to use the VCR for playback.

Why not split the signal, have an input to the DVR and VCR, Leave the DVR as shown in the diagram and run the output from the VCR to the free input on the DVR (or TV if one exists).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us