JVC HD-56G786 very quick question

Bronze Member
Username: Milo

Post Number: 11
I have decided I want to by the JVC HD-56G786 rear projection TV. I live on Martha's Vineyard and it is hard to get off-island to make the round of dealers. Best Buy is closest and would be the easiest place for me to get the set. Last time I was able to be at the store, was a few months ago and these sets had just arrived. I noticed when I looked at the specs that the model number was a bit different and I can't remember precisely how, but I think it had a bp in it instead of hd or something. Is this the exact same set that JVC sells through other authorized dealear. EXACT. Or have they been modified in some way for sale at Best Buy.

Also, the picture they had on the one set in the showroom was crystal clear but was going extremely uphill. ie: the bottom of the black letterbox band was a good half to three quarters inch lower on the left side than on the right. Do these sets have a problem with this or was this just a fluke.

Thanks for your help.
Milo

Bronze Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 94
I can answer the part about the model number, or at least give an example.
Best buy DOES use it's buying power to get exclusive model numbers and in some cases completely exclusive items. Last year they had a 43 and 50 inch Pioneer plasma that was identical to another model sold at other retailers, but because of the model number difference they did not have to price match their competitor prices. It's entirely possible the same thing is happening with the HD-ILA they are selling.
As for the distortion, I seem to recall other posts referring to an "hourglass effect" which might be the cause of the distortion you noted. The JVC HD-ILA sets are the extreme bottom end of the LCOS technology to getit to the consumer market at a competitive price and it's likely the compromises are affecting the picture quality in other, less obvious ways. Or it could have just been a screwed up set.

Personally I'd look at either the Samsung DLP in that size or the 55 inch Sony LCD projection. Both are in the same price range and I think look better. I'm just not sold on the JVC HD-ILAs. I actually liked last year's model more than this year's, though I have not seen their 1080p models yet.

Bronze Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 84
I'd second what Helpful_smurf said above.

Alot of times big vendors will have an item rebadged to a differant model number so no price matching is done.

Most of the time it's the SAME exact model. Sometimes it's not.

I don't know if COSTCO carries the model you want, but they do have a good return policy... 2, 3, etc years from now if the set dies/ if you're un-happy they offer a full refund. (Try that anywhere else!)

On that uphill effect.. sounds like a mis-aligned light engine... a fluke, or something that was caused by being bounced around in shipping.

I bought 4 stainless steel toolboxes from COSTCO, had them freighted in from a Texas store.. 2 of them were damaged on the undercarriage because of a stupid /careless forklift operator lowering the load toooo quickly.

What I'm saying is the mis-alignment may have been caused by the above forklift drivers cousin.

Maybe they were kissing cousins and one of their offspring unloaded the tv a little too fast...

Alot of these guys just look at these big boxes as just that.. a "big box"...

Some of the guys handling this stuff may be a little jealous and sort of bang the stuff around a little because they can't afford one.

Username: Bruceorlando

Orlando - Mickey Mouse..., Florida-By-God US of A

Post Number: 7
Milo, I have the BB set and it's the HD-56G786. The correct JVC stock number is on the invoice, the television and even the manual. It's the very same television and not another lesser model of some type.

The reason that BB gives this particular HD set a different model number is because they are including a stand with the sale of the TV -- and that's the only reason.

These sets aren't seconds, and they aren't "reduced quality" models, in any way. JVC has been making front projection LCoS sets for many years and they are one of a only handful of manufacturer's to even offer a LCoS display.

It sounds as though the display was definitely off on the set you saw. We have several BB's here, and I looked at all them when shopping for our HD set. Picture quality varied widely from store to store NO MATTER WHAT THE BRAND -- JVC, Samsung, Toshiba, LG, Sharp, RCA, etc..

One BB had a JVC that to me looked better than all the rest (though the Toshiba and Samsungs were a close second). I purchased knowing I could return it if the set didn't match the quality of what I saw.

Turns out the picture I have at home is at least as good or better than the best picture was a store, and you can't beat that.

If the display unit's geometry is that bad, I'd complain to the manager and see if they wouldn't show you another set.

Oh, one thing that IS rather cheap, is the free stand included with this set. It's free for a reason. But, it's sturdy enough and I'm not afraid it's going to collapse -- but it's a real cheapie. :-)

-bruce

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
Bruce,

What stand did they provide?

Bronze Member
Username: Milo

Post Number: 12
Milo here,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question and for all the helpful information. I plan to get this TV from Best Buy the next time I go off-island.

Post Number: 8
The free stand is not the stand on their web site or thgat I have seen in other e-tailers. A pix is posted below. I cranked up the B&C to show the components on it.

Upload

The glass 2nd shelf was not quite wide enough to fit on the supports on the sides. After it slipped off one side, I found some small L brackets and put on on each side to ensure it didn't slip off again. The glass can't be removed once you put the silver decorative posts up.

Some of the screw holes are too close to the edge of the board, so you have to watch for splitting. I saw a little split in one of my boards, but it was ok after being mated to other pieces.

The stand seems to be holding all my components and center channel without any problems. It seems very solid and doesn't flex or move at all.

Hope this helps,
-bruce

Rock Head
Unregistered guest
I have the JVC hd-56g786 The hdmi connection hasn't worked from day one (7-25-05) using component input now. hdmi board on backorder still. Component input looks good and over the air HD looks great.

Post Number: 9
Rock Head,
Sorry to hear about your trouble with the HDMI connection. I was a little hesistant about trying it after reading of other's problems, but decided to give it a go. Picture wise, it's been great, but I'm feeding the TV video only, and not combined with audio.

From the STB I'm using the analog stereo outs to the TV and the optical out to feed the A/V receiver 5.1. Output on the STB is set for Dolby Digital.

Hope your HDMI replacement board fixes the problem for you.

-bruce

Username: Rreese

Post Number: 1
I just purchased the JVC HD-56G886. However the screen appears to have some smudging on it on both sides of the screen. I read where this was a problem on the 5-series models, but have not seen anything on the current 7-series. This is the 3rd tv we have exchanged and still has the same problems. Any suggestions?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Silver Member
Username: Xgrizzlyx

Post Number: 125
all from the same store?

take it back and try a different store if u can

i would guess the came off a line and have people not handling properly and that store got that batch, that being the inside smudge. the outside smudge purhaps the same thing or the delivery/setup people

Unregistered guest
I purchased a the JVC HD-56G786 for roughly $3000 on 8/16/05 in less than 2 months the TV was shot. The light or lamp engine died. The repair shops don't have any parts for it, the warehouses don't have any parts for it and JVC doesn't have any parts for it. The repair shop doesn't know when I would be getting my TV back, JVC doesn't know when, nobody knows when. I have been, or trying to be in contact with anybody from JVC. I have contacted them 6 times and have not gotten anywhere with this problem. Finally I talked to a manager from the store that I bought it from and they agreed to exchange the TV, after I paid the TV repairman to put the TV back together again. In the repair shop, there were 7 other JVC TVs with the same problem. When I picked the TV up at the repair shop, and when I exchanged the TV, it was suggested to me to buy the extended warranty because this problem will happen again.
I am out over $500 and 17+ hours of my time, trying to get this problem solved, which shouldn't even be a problem when you pay $3000 for a TV. JVC has been no help at all, as a matter of fact they have been most of the reason this has been such a difficult time. There are no contact numbers to talk with anyone at JVC except a Customer Care number, which I have had horrible success trying to get someone to return my calls. I was promised a phone call from the JVC head quarters 5 times and when I finally got the call, they called the wrong number and were misinformed about what has been done with the problem.
I will never purchase another JVC product again, and I will do everything I can to make sure no one else goes through the problems that I have gone through trying to work with JVC.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Sean,

Your experience is counter to my own and many others out here. I had a few problems with my Z585 (first generation) which JVC dealt with promptly and efficiently. Their customer service is second to none in my opinion. Have you tried to contact their Wayne, NJ offices? If not, that's what you need to do.

Silver Member

Post Number: 233
Sean,

1: Any item can die in two months.
2: Parts being N/A is common to ANY brand.
3: You had to "pay" $500????, why would you had to "pay" when the set was under warranty? Sounds like the store you bought it from just ripped you out of $500. I bet you they charged you, and got paid by JVC for "putting the set back together".... You got ripped off.
4: The experience thru CS can happen on any brand. I went thru the same thing with another brand... Being told the parts were on back-order , that they would be in "next week" on set #1 of 4 when in fact they were on eternal back order. I found out about 4 months into my repair "saga" that the set was last years model per-se and there were NO more parts..PERIOD. . In the case of a "new" shipping item you can expect parts being N/A on "hot' new models parts as well due to the fact that all mfg's focus on "shipping" product first... .

You think you have had a rough time? It took me 9 months to get a working set from another mfg, read some of the details here, allot of details left out... by the time everything was said and done I probably had 100 hours plus (or more!!!) "invested": https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=474384#POST474384

One last tip to keep in mind if case the replacement set you paid $500 extra (LOL!!!) for needs service.... if you hunt around there are direct phone number to the headquarters of large companies. I went thru several months of getting the run-around on that "other" manufacturers set as noted in the above link, finally "Google'ing" to find the direct dial numbers... Called them and the next DAY had the parts on the way.

Got the set back the first time right around 5 months.. it dying the next day.... Took about 4 months, and 3 more sets to finally get a working set.

Would I buy from the same mfg?

YES, because I know how the system "works" on "new" items.. and /or items that may be last years models. I usually try to only purchase items AFTER they have been in PRODUCTION for 6+ months, giving the mfg time to work out the "bugs", and get up their stock of parts. Thing is there is a fine line between the parts going into shipping product and them stocking enough to cover failures in the field... They expect a certain number of failures.. and after those parts are GONE, they are GONE (for the most part, unless it's a small ,cheap to mfg item, Big $$$$$ items, they make so many and that is it).

(If I had a nickel for each time I was told a "new" "hot" item 's parts were N/A I'd be a rich man. It's always the same no matter what kind of product, parts are either N/A, or very hard to get on a "new" model.)

PS: I found out AFTER my experience that IF a mfg can't provide parts after 30 days they have to REPLACE the item.

BTW: What symptoms did your set exhibit? You said it "died" What was it doing?
(If you happen to know it please post the serial number, and the mfg date.)

Silver Member

Post Number: 234
tvshopper

Sounds like Sean paid $500 and exchanged the set for something else. I doubt he got a JVC...

I bet also that he will run into such problems again, regardless of what mfg.

seanmalone
Unregistered guest
WeAreNotAlone, I'm sure you are right about the TVs breaking after 2 months.........Am I the only one that finds that odd?

The repair shop that I had mine at, had 7 other JVCs in for the exact same thing. They said that they are breaking down left and right, all with the same exact problem. He said that they got the TV out on the market too fast and didn't do the proper testing on them. He said they wanted it out before anybody else got their new lines out.

As for the part, the repair man said, and I agree with him, this is what we get when we have a global marketplace.

As for the $500, JVC policy states that they can not let any of their products out of service without being fixed first, which goes hand in hand with the repair shop being paid. I had to pay them to get my TV back, $85. And when I took it, they said it would be worth it to me to buy the extended warranty on the TV, if I'm getting the same one. When I got to the store and returned the TV, I asked the manager of the Home Theatre section, if this is a common problem with these TVs. He said that it was against store policy to answer that question....and he was shaking his head "yes" the whole time he said it. Then he said, "Even though I am not allowed to talk about the products that have been returned, I think it would be wise to purchase the extended warranty because you will, er... may, need it." so not only the $85, but also the $399 plus tax is $424= $85= $509

And JVC is giving me the run around. I have tracked a couple of numbers and will be calling them this week.

And the store would only let me get the same TV.

But I have to say that the picture is great!

I wouldn't have a problem if this was a $200 TV, I'd toss the thing out and buy another. But when I'm dropping $3000 for one, I expect the best product and service, not the shabby treatment I have recieved.

Silver Member

Post Number: 237
Sean,

So this thread may be of future use:

1: What symptoms did your set exhibit? You said it "died after two months of ownership" What was it doing?
2: Please post the serial number, and the mfg date.( JVC HD-56G786, purchased 8/16/05)
3: How many hours a day?, etc...
4: Did you have it plugged into a UPS to FILTER the incoming power, and protect from brownouts?

Odd that a set die after two months?......Not really considering..You do know that for the past several years other manufacturers could NOT get this technology to work at all. I think I read last night that a "little" :-) company that makes computer chips called INTEL gave up on it, if that gives you any idea how cutting edge technology we are talking about here.
(BTW: The other competing technologies are problematic as well... )

On the repair aspect,

The way it works on ANY mfg's set is they attempt repair first before replacement. It's not just a JVC thing. I'm sure if YOU were running a business, you'd require the same steps.

Sometimes the process is a pain, but that's the way all the mfg's play the game.

On your statement about being out $500 you initially quoted.... Thank you for clarifying that..

So the real breakdown is $85 out of pocket..... in exchange for the store swapping out the unit right away. For you not having to "wait" to have the TV repaired. (FYI: Light engine replacement can be done in your HOME in LESS than an hour.)

If you read my experiences with the repair of another manufacturers set, paying $85 for the convenience of getting the set swapped out right away isn't that bad. By the time everything was said and done I probably had 100+++ hours plus (or more!!!) "invested": and more phone calls that you can imagine. https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=474384#POST474384

On the extended warranty.... Figuring that cost into the out of pocket expense really isn't fair..... Saying your "out" $500.... $85 of that being the price you pay for getting the set swapped out right away.

I got to ask, OK you have the EW.... How is that going to make any difference say 2 years from now, if the set you currently have dies? The EW warranty people go by the same guidelines -Attempt REPAIR. (or "repairs")... and only if the repair, or repairs fail do they replace the set.

PS: You could have got a EW for about $200-$220....

Got a tip for you..... Try NEVER to let the set OUT of your house... Once a repair shop gets possession they want to get paid before releasing the item.

So in a nutshell... you're out $85. Paid to get the set swapped out , instead of waiting for a repair. -Read the above link again... I would have gladly paid $85.... It took me 9 months to get a working set.

Silver Member

Post Number: 238
Sean,

I bet you that in additon to the $85 you paid, that the shop did bill JVC for time spent..

Username: Kid89

Post Number: 4
I've had my 52z585 since 6/16/05, other than the bulb being replaced 1 week ago, the tv is awesome.I've read alot in this forum about a service menu and can't figure-out how to bring it up.I would to get some base-line specs for reference and any future adjustments. I can't SEE a big difference with it hooked up with component jacks or an HDMI cord. the transision between HDMI input and any other through the remote seems "hard" on the tv. I wodre if this has any effect on the bulb. Any ideas??

seanmalone
Unregistered guest
WeAreNotAlone, thanks for the input. Actually I own 3 different businesses, and that is what I am basing my experience and expectations on.
I agree about the technology, I have heard that from a few different people, but I still don't accept a 2 month life out of a part, that seems to be affecting many of their TVs.
We have our TV on for about 2-3 hours a day never longer than 3 and not everyday.
As for the EW, I will be able to exchange the TV for a new one if I feel the repair will take too long, and up to 4 years.

And the $85, I was told by the repair shop, and JVC customer care and the parts department that they have no idea of when they would be getting the part in, "probably a month or two" was one of their guesses.

The funny thing about TVs, we have 4 in our house, the 56 inch, a 35 inch a 27 inch and the one we watch the most........13 inch?!?!

Thanks for all the input, but I am still soured with how JVC has handled itself in this situation.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
Sean,

You are not dealing with the right people. There are some VERY good people in the field engineering area in the Wayne, NJ office. That is who you have to deal with, not some phone flunky.

Desert Bob
Unregistered guest
Second JCV apparently no better than the first. Bought a 52" in May 2005 - 2 mos. later after annoying malfunctions (horizontal green lines across entire picture; HDMI stopped working; gray bar appeared across bottom of screen) dealer took it back and replaced with next generation model (HD-52G786) Aug. 2005. All was fine until a few days ago: picture gradually faded so dark that it was unviewable; then the program/lamp and power lights began to flash continuously and picture blanked out. Pretty frustrating after laying out $2.5 thou for a TV. Great picture but if JVC can't build a box that works for more than 90 days between repairs that's pretty sorry. If I continue to have problems with this new one, I will pressure dealer to take the darned thing back and give me their best brand.

onthetakekc
Unregistered guest
Desert Bob... My tv (HD-56G786) just did the exact same thing you described. It has gotten darker and darker over the last 5 days and tonight it popped and the lights began to flash continuously.. So much for the xbox 360 lanch tomorrow. I guess $2700 doesnt spend like it used to?

I cannot wait to get the runaround from JVC tomorrow.

tvshopper
Unregistered guest
onthetakekc,

Let us know how it goes. If you know how to deal with someone, you will find that JVC is EXCELLENT in their customer service. If you don't know how to deal with someone, I predict that you will be very disappointed.

Desert Bob
Unregistered guest
Service company replaced the bulb today and picture is back to normal . . . which leads me to suggest to JVC if they are tuned in: develop a more durable bulb, and/or reduce the price on them to $29.95 and I'll keep 2 or 3 on hand to replace myself. (FYI: bulb has always been allowed to cool down per product manual in a two-adult family, i.e., NO kids pulling the plug, etc.) At least I purchased a 4-year service contract with the TV and won't be purchasing any bulbs until 2009; in that period, hope JVC solves the bulb durability issue.

Username: Kja

Post Number: 7
just had a bulb go in my JVC HD-56G786 today. Fortunately, I purchased a spare through JVC on 8/5/05 - a couple of days after receiving the TV. I thought it would be good insurance for the future, but NEVER thought I'd be replacing the bulb within the first 120 days of ownership. Just got off the phone w/ JVC and another warranty bulb (although backorderd for a week) will be on its' way shortly.

$222.00 inc. tax/shipping seems kind of steep for something that may require replacement every four months. If the rest of the TV lasts four years, and the bulbs continue to fail at this rate - replacement bulb cost will surpass the cost of the TV.

Silver Member

Post Number: 254
Desert Bob and others.... If you haven't already when posting,Would you guys please post the details : https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=512187#POST512187

Just so all these posts may be of "help" in getting mfg's to make better products... and more importantly maybe get them to EXTEND the lamp (and light engine) warranty beyond the "official" 1 year warranty...

How about EVERYONE that posts lamp burnout /or light engine problems post the:

Model
Mfg date
Serial number
Amount of run time on set /lamp (or "lamps")
How set is used each day.
If set is plugged into a UPS.

PLEASE NOTE the model number of the LAMP, and ANY markings on it /or box it came in such as batch number.

Please also note if the ballast was replaced, as that may be the cause of short lamp life instead of the lamp itself. If you've had the ballast replaced post the part number of the OLD and NEW ballast.

And finally post what you as a consumer expect so far as "lifespan".

To me having part (lamp in this case) rated at 6,000 hours for example, means 6,000 hours... that mfg's should provide replacements of that part -even if the set is beyond the 1 year warranty.

40 hours a week, x50 weeks =2,000 hours.
6,000 hours to me means 3 years at least... as most people aren't going to watch TV 8 hours a day.

I would encourage everyone that reports "problems" to post such info.... So everyone on the Internet, JVC can see how end users are being affected ..AND HOW THE MANUFACTURER HANDLES "PROBLEMS". If say for example over the next year 1,000 people post saying they've went thru 3 lamps in a year, it would be hard for JVC, The mfg of the parts to deny there was a "problem".

What I mean is IF, we owners had to at some point file a class action suit for example if would be mighty "hard" for JVC to deny responsibility. Having the info in the above format would also help in case you had to go to small claims court? OR were fighting your local repair shop about getting your light engine replaced, etc.

seanmalone
Unregistered guest
Looks like I'm not alone. My brand new JVC is OK for now, but I'm not a betting man, especially with JVCs.

I would like to say that Best Buy was very helpful in making things right with my JVC problems. JVC customer care was not!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 258
In case anyone overlooked seanmalone's previous post about his "problem", his set developed problems after two months and he paid "extra" to not have to wait to get the set serviced... He instead choosing to pay a little "extra" ($85) to have the tv put back together by the repairing shop, and then the retailer swapping out the set for a new one.

If you read my experiences with the repair of another manufacturers set (NOT JVC) , paying $85 for the CONVENIENCE of getting the set swapped out RIGHT AWAY, not having to wait for PARTS isn't that bad. By the time everything was said and done I probably had 100+++ hours plus (or more!!!) "invested": and more phone calls that you can imagine. https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=474384#POST474384

BTW: He first quoted a price of $500... he only posting later that the amount was only $85.

seanmalone
Unregistered guest
WeAreNotAlone69....

Yes, I paid $85 to get the TV put back together so I could return it and have it replaced. And I also paid $524 for the extended warranty that I was recommended to purchase from the service company and also the place I bought it from. They both recommended the extended service plan because the JVC that I purchased, and reading these other posts, that alot of people purchased, is junk. And I will be needing the service plan to make sure I don't get ripped off by the poor manufacturing and use of the TV.

For the life of me, reading these forums and forums like this one, I can not understand how the consumer can accept these types of products?!?! Not only that, but how poorly the manufacturers back their products. I really don't think I'll be purchasing a "top of the line" TV like this one, again.

I guess having this problem and reading about everybody elses problems, a perfect picture isn't that important to me, or should I say, isn't worth it to me.

seanmalone
Unregistered guest
I'm sorry, $424 not $524 for the extended warranty.

Silver Member

Post Number: 301
seanmalone....

On a cutting edge product there are going to be teething problems.... That is given in most ANY new type of device, no matter what it may be.

On the $85, I would have paid that as well, instead of waiting if there was going to be a huge wait. You were two+/- months into ownership so the proper thing to do is an repair attempt, before anyone is going to give you a new tv.

You paid $85 to jump to the front of the line so to speak.

On the EW... $424 is too much. IMO

Regardless.... I'd get the EW on ANY of the current sets on the market that carry a 1 year warranty... Any of them. They haven't been making them for 50 years like CRT sets... and they are unproven.

The only set I would maybe NOT get a EW warranty is a "low" priced set... OR "regular" tv using a CRT tube.... Since the CRT is a proven technology that has been in production for the past 50 years.

For ANY item that is "expensive" and is "new" to market you'd be a fool not to get an EW.. regardless of who made it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us