Motorola DCT6412 watching rec. shows in another room

Username: Astrand1

McKinney, TX United States

Post Number: 1
does anybody know if you have 2 of these units as I do. can they be hooked up so that if I record a show on the one in the living room I could watch that show in my bedroom? They both have the 10/100 rj-45 jack on the back as well as USB 2.0 and firewire. Could some one enlighten me on what i might be able to do with these units?

thanks very much!!!

fx
Unregistered guest
Can't be done, they have no networking capabilities. You only solution would be to record to a PC via the firewire output and then network your PC to your display.

xvxvxvx

Username: Sierra1049

Sacramento, California USA

Post Number: 1
HELP... I have the Motorola 6412, which works fine, but only records about 10 hours of HDTV. Is there a way to connect it to an external hard drive via firewire or otherwise so as to store the saved programs on computer or external drive? Thanks

Post Number: 3
Thanks very much. I will try that...and I read the threads on installing software to your PC for using firewire. So I guess I end up with the file on my hard drive, and play it back using...which software. When you say network the display (HDTV lcd with HDMI, but no firewire input) to the computer...how is that done? Also, if you know, if I record direct to a DVD recorder using S video and optical audio cable, will I get HD quality? Thanks again. Kevin

fx
Unregistered guest
Kevin,

Once you have it recored to your PC's HDD you need a video output with a DVI or HDMI connection to view HD. If you record to a dvd use DVD shrink and DVD encrypter, both free on the web. It will have better resolution than SD but you cannot record in HD just yet, wait a few more months at most for that ability.

Now if you record using S-Video to a stand alone recorder you will only get normal SD but in my experience recording an HD program from an HD digital cable box (in fact from the DCT-6412) the image is sharper even through S-Video connection.

xvxvxvx

fx
Unregistered guest
Kevin,

Once you have it recorded to your PC's HDD you need a video output with a DVI or HDMI connection to view HD. If you record to a dvd use DVD shrink and DVD encrypter, both free on the web. It will have better resolution than SD but you cannot record in HD just yet, wait a few more months at most for that ability.

Now if you record using S-Video to a stand alone recorder you will only get normal SD but in my experience recording an HD program from an HD digital cable box (in fact from the DCT-6412) the image is sharper even through an S-Video connection.

xvxvxvx

Post Number: 4
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I actually tried the procedure I got on here... its at http://replayguide.sourceforge.net/dct6412/index.html It was very accurate and detailed and to my surprise, everything worked. I captured a couple of small clips of unprotected HDTV to my computer via firewire from the right (from the rear) firewire port on the 6412 and replayed them to the HDTV monitor using Media Player Classic via the computer connection to the monitor...RGB. The picture definition was excellent, not sure if its actual HDTV since its coming over a non HD connection, but it looks very good. Only problem is that it won't play continuously and the audio and video freeze, then jerk forward. I expect this is a problem with my computer/processor, but would welcome any thoughts. I'm thinking I need a new desktop, but unsure as to what to look for in a video card, processor etc to facilitate playback. I assume I want firewire, and a very large hard drive.
Also, is there any way to record the programs that are encrypted with 5C? I recall that you used to be able to record subscription channels to VCR, but I guess in the digital age they are getting more aggresively protective. It seems that you should at least be able to record one copy for your own playback. As it is, you are limited to 10 or so hours of HDTV on the 6412. Thanks again for all your help
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us