DLP RPTV

Username: Witschen

Post Number: 1
Without going into a ton of details, I have decided to go with a DLP RPTV for my next home theater. My only requirements are that the screen be at LEAST 52" with a preference of 60+, and I want but am not completely sold on the whole 1080p thing. Looking to the future, I guess 1080p is important, but if anyone has any thoughts or convincing points for or against, please enlighten me on them. I will be viewing mostly HD content and DVD (HDDVD when available). I have a budget of $2500 but can go to 3k if it makes a big enough difference. I will need it by January 1st, so take into account either new availabilities or price drops by that time if possible. Just to throw a wrench into it I was also interested in the DILA LCoS technology because of the cost benefit, but due to detrimental things I've heard about them, I've been pushed away from them. If someone has a contrasting opinion on the technology, I'm all ears. Thanks ahead of time for all the info, and I will reserve my thoughts until I hear some of your opinions.

Also, I was planning on buying it from a reputable ONLINE dealer and possibly purchasing an extended warranty. Please do not factor the extended warranty cost into the final price 2500-3000 and offer your opinions on warranty as well. Thanks again!!

Username: Moelawn

Post Number: 9
Eric, last year, Fox described the baseball playoffs as being broadcast in the "finest" 720p standard, which suggests that at that time, Fox was claiming that 720p was the finest HD resolution available. Also I have heard that Comcast struggles with bandwith issues and that the networks also struggle when then they try, as they do, to use some of their spectrum for sending continuous weather forecasts. So before you spend $1,000 more on a 1080p set, you should consider whether anybody will be transmitting in 1080p. On the other hand, I don't know what the new DVD standard will be. All I know is that I enjoyed being able to watch last year's baseball playoffs and most football games in HD for the past year instead of waiting for the next standard.

Username: Dhadder

Post Number: 8
Definately go with an extended warranty no matter what you buy. Like many of ou know the lamp life on these projection sets are not what they say they will be. I'm sure TOM BONG will relay this message across to you.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 361
Zack,

The 1080P sets don't even accept 1080P content on the DVI/HDMI or component inputs. That's not the reason they were made.

The 1080P sets will convert the scanning method of presently broadcasted 1080I content to progressive scan and look absolutely amazing. That's why they were made.

Bronze Member
Username: Imustbecrazy

Post Number: 21
1080p is a marketing hype.

http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages/reality.htm

http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages/followup.htm

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 363
Neither article addresses my point.

Any 1080I content is just a scan change away from being 1080P.

Appropriate user name, Sam!

Bronze Member
Username: Imustbecrazy

Post Number: 22
FYI

"Any 1080I content is just a scan change away from being 1080P."

Not really, but not an expert.

In 1/30 of a second, we have:

1080i = 1/60 odd lines + 1/60 even lines
(540p) (540p)
1080p = 1/60 all lines + 1/60 all lines
(1080p) (1080p)

Broadcasters are only sending either 720p or 1080i signals. So, a 1080p TV will either display it as 1080i or throw one on the 540p signals away or it can receive both 540p signals, then combine then into one before displaying them, but your frame rate is still 30 frames per second and not the 60 frames as desired by 1080p.

As of now, I think the PS3 is the only 1080p transmitting device. It's not out and it may suffer the Xbox fate. That is, yes it supports the 1080p format, but no developers created any content for that requirement.

But let me state, a 1080p TV should be better than a 1080i, but since there is no conceivable plan to be receiving a 1080p signal is it really worth the extra money?

I tell you what, I'll sell you a flying car for $2,000.00 dollars more than the rolling cars. However, since I haven't allocated any flying car highways, you can only use your flying car on the ground for the next 10 years, is it worth the money?

Bronze Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 71
RE: DILA LCoS technology because of the cost benefit, but due to detrimental things I've heard about them

Eric,

Home Theater Magazine September, 2005
JVC HD-70G886 D-ILA HDTV

http://www.hometheatermag.com/rearprojectiontvs/905jvc

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 364
Sam,

You're a lost ball!

A 1080P set can only display in 1080P format, no matter the format of the input signal.
Same goes for a 720P set. This is a fixed condition from the set manufacturers.

The 1080P set changes the scan method from interlaced to progressive at 60 fps. All 1080 lines of resolution are present in a 1080I signal. The set will display true 1080P from a 1080I signal. That's why it looks so good. That's why they are on the market.

I'll repeat, they were not made to even accept a 1080P signal on any input, but the ATSC tuner should any network decide to broadcast such.

Any new game box will have to be set to output 1080I to be recognized on the digital or component analog inputs of a 1080P set. The set will then convert the scanning method to progressive.

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1510
But let me state, a 1080p TV should be better than a 1080i, but since there is no conceivable plan to be receiving a 1080p signal is it really worth the extra money?

Yes.

I own a Samsung HL-R6178 and it looks a lot better than 720p DLP's. Skin tones are better and the added resolution alows you to view the 61" screen from a much closer distance. With a good HD feed viewing from 4 ft is perfectly acceptable.

Oh and the set will accept 1080p through the vga input(I've played pc games at a true 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz and they look awesome) or through a cable card when and if 1080p broadcasts do become available, but I don't see why they would.

The proposed blu-ray standard will support 1080i at a max of 60Hz or 1080p @ 24Hz(or 25?). There's actually more information present in a 1080i signal at 60 fps than 1080p at 24 so 1080i might actually be the preferred of the two even when utilizing a 1080p set capable of accepting either input.

-Fishy

Tombong
Unregistered guest
E: DILA LCoS technology because of the cost benefit, but due to detrimental things I've heard about them

Eric,

"Home Theater Magazine September, 2005
JVC HD-70G886 D-ILA HDTV"

You really expect Home Theater Magazine to bite the hand that feeds it? You are really nieve!!!

Tombong
Unregistered guest
E: DILA LCoS technology because of the cost benefit, but due to detrimental things I've heard about them

Eric,

"Home Theater Magazine September, 2005
JVC HD-70G886 D-ILA HDTV"

You really expect Home Theater Magazine to bite the hand that feeds it? You are really nieve!!!

Tombong
Unregistered guest
I was just kidding, what I meant to say was they are totally reliable.

Tombong
Unregistered guest
I still prefer Samsung's DLP personally. Having looked at all the available RPTV technologies and models they seem to be the best.

Post Number: 3
thanks for the replies thus far...

I like the Samsung HL-R6178 too, but don't think 4k is in the price range unfortunately.

So I am really interested in the price performance of the JVC-HD61Z886 D-ila. Unless I find a truly convincing argument either for 1080p or against the D-ila, its what im leaning toward. Anyway, I have 3 months to think about it so im holing to sort through all the hype and salemanship by then...any more replies are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

TomBong
Unregistered guest
I am sure those will know the real me from the imposters weak attempts to disguise me. Its pretty easy ya know.

DONT DO IT.....GO PLASMA if you have to make a move especially in three months, You will be sorry otherwise...Mark this post.

Post Number: 4
Doesnt plasma lose brightness over time that cant be restored by just swapping a lamp like a RPTV? Im def open to the plasma thing, but I also understand that they are a bit out of my price range. I am in law school so i wont be moving for 3 years...hopefully. Any recommended models in my range? thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us