Component vs. DVI cables

dudeman
Unregistered guest
hey everybody hope you guys can help out? I Have a high def satellite system and a HDTV and in order to get channels in High Def i'm running a decent quality component cable to it. The HD channels look great. Then I wanted to take it to the next level and bought myself a MONSTER BRAND DVI CABLE (in otherwords top of the line) and to my suprise it looks the same! So i just want some feedback on how u guys feel about component vs dvi cables? To me there not much of a difference.

grfunk
Unregistered guest
The main difference between component and dvi is component is an analog signal and the dvi is a digital signal. Depending on what your tv does with the input signal after it gets it is another story. If you can't tell the difference then use either one. If money is a factor, you get to choose.

Username: Cdherndon

Post Number: 1
Same line of questioning. How do I tell wether or not my TV is showing a converted digital(analog) vs. a digital signal. I know that it comes out of the wall as a digital signal.
I was running component cable and tried the DVI but my cable box doesnt work on the DVI. Should I not worry about it since my Sony HDTV probably sends out a analog signal in the end?
I found the picture was pixeling with the component cable and figured it was something to do with the conversion to analog.

Gold Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 1220
Excellent response grfunk-depends on which component has better conversion circuitry.

The MOFO has spoken.

the CHOCH
Unregistered guest
grfunk answered:
"The main difference between component and dvi is component is an analog signal and the dvi is a digital signal."

WRONG!!!!

Both DVI and Components are for digital output. That's why the dudeman says they aren't much of a difference.

Do your homework again people...just google it or ask the circuit city or bestbuy salesman.

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 406
Choch, you really should check your sources before making statements that someone is wrong.

The DVI connection delivers the signal in a digital format, much the same way that a file is delivered from one computer to another along a network, while Component Video is an analog format, delivering the signal not as a bitstream, but as a set of continuously varying voltages representing the red, green and blue components of the signal.

Yes they are both for digital output, but they are completely different in the way they transmit the data.

quote "the CHOCH" Do your homework again people...just google it or ask the circuit city or bestbuy salesman.
the circuit city or bestbuy salesman? is that where you got your infomation from??? nuff said

Gold Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 1229
"There is a common misconception in the electronics world that DVI and HDMI are identical except for HDMI's ability to carry multi-channel audio signals on top of video. This is not true. DVI outputs 8 bit RGB signals only and cannot carry 10 bit video like HDMI can. In fact, HDMI is actually capable of 12 bit transmission as well. What does this buy you? Well if you are lucky enough to have a display with an HDMI input, you can significantly reduce the contouring artifacts that are commonly associated with digital displays." DVD Benchmark, July 2005

The MOFO has spoken

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 408
nice post Dale, I R Learning stuff lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us