PIONEER DVR 533H Timer Recording Problems, PLS HELP

dudeman
Unregistered guest
I have a Pioneer DVR 533H. I only have satellite and I know the EPG only works with Cable and ota, my question is is there a way I can still set a timer on the DVR to record at a specific time? pls help asap. Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1671
Set timers on the DVD recorder and satellite both.

dudeman
Unregistered guest
I believe the timer on the DVD recorder only works with the TV Guide EPG. Does anyone know how to manually set the timer for the Pioneer DVR 533H?

fx
Unregistered guest
"I believe the timer on the DVD recorder only works with the TV Guide EPG."

Not exactly true:

1) The timer record function is invoked by hitting the Timer Rec button on the remote. You will see the EPG launch, but don't despair, the timer record menu is on the left side. If you cannot get the EPG, your manual has step-by-step instructions on how to turn off the EPG permanently.

xvxvxvx

dudeman
Unregistered guest
your a time saver fx thanks alot

Username: Ellie

Post Number: 1
fx, you said that the manual for the Pioneer DVR 533H has instructions for permanently turning off the EPG. I have been unable to find those instructions and would like to turn off the EPG. A Pioneer service person said I couldn't turn off the EPG. Any ideas?

fx
Unregistered guest
Ellie,

I should have said disable rather than turning off (poor choice of words) the EPG. In the EPG setup menu choose antenna, then chosse a zipcode on the other side of the country from which you live. It will search once, be unable to find any EPG data then stop searching. Since you must actually visit the EPG screen to do a manual recording you are correct it can't really be turned off.

In case you ever need to completely rest your unit to the factory un-opend box defaults do the below on the unit itself, not on the remote:

1) hold down stop and press the standby or power button

For dudeman, you are welcome. I assume it worked.

xvxvxvx

Username: Ellie

Post Number: 2
Thank you for your reply, fx. I had already disabled the EPG, but your post made me wonder whether I had done everything I could to get rid of it as I had read that some people have had it come back.

Ellie

steveinMD
Unregistered guest
Just got the 533H-s and everything seems great but it sounds like the unit is almost continually accessing the HDD (repatative sequences of soft clicks). Only when the "EPG" is in the display and the screen is showing the guide does the unit seem to stop accessing the hard disk. Of course, then I can't watch anything. Can I do something to give the HDD a rest when not being used to record something.

RossM
Unregistered guest
I recently bought a Pioneer DVR-533H and my wife
absolutely loves it (she's usually not enamored
with tech, but it's much better than the VCR!).
However our TV Guide stopped working one day after
about a month. The disk is nowhere near full.
One day it just announced it was reloading all the
EPG data after our setup change (we never made a
setup change). Nothing I've tried has fixed it, so
we have to do all recordings manually. I'd prefer
not to do a factory reset because we set up our
channels lists and it took a while, but that might
be a last resort. Has anyone seen this problem,
and even better, know how to fix it?

Anonymous

Pioneer just refunded me my money for my Pioneer DVR 533H. The TV Guide never worked on my unit and when I asked whether I should perhaps exchange it for another unit they said that they're having problems with the TVGuide and that they didn't know if the problem would ever be solved. Sounds suspiciously like a licensing problem or something like that.

fawkes
Unregistered guest
Pioneer DVR 533 TV Guide / EPG problems

I'm in the same boat as RossM from Dec 17. TV Guide just stopped working, saying it has to reload due to a setup change that I made (though I didn't) and it will be 24 hours for listings to be available. That was days ago.

I'm still looking for a fix for this. If someone knows it, please pass it along.

If not, I'm seriously considering returning it & getting possibly a Toshiba. A lot of reviews are saying it's better. And the Pioneer support people are starting to scare me, and that's just based on what I've read.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2211
The Toshiba D-R4 rocks, stunning picture quality. They say it's media picky, but I only use Taiyo Yuden discs anyway and there's no problem with them. I've used a JVC, 4 Panasonics and a Pioneer, to me the picture on the Toshiba is the best of all. I don't record from poor quality sources like VHS, so I don't know how well it records that. I record from a satellite in SP, it's hard to see the difference between the recording and just watching the satellite.

Username: Robkil

Whith, Ontario Canada

Help!!!
When I select timer record from the remote, it won't allow me to select a channel, is that normal? I tried recording on the weekend leaving the tv on the channel I wanted to record and turning the tv off and leaving the pionner on standby and nothing worked. Please help I can only mess this up a few times before my wife shoots me;)....

Username: Mickalicious

Hi, I'm trying to use my Pioneer Dvr-533H in conjunction with my cable box. I've set the system up as per the manual, but I can't seem to get the DVR picture to show up. If I turn the cable box on, it simply works as usual, but I have no idea how to record using both the cable box, and the DVR. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2739
Connect the box to the DVD with s-video or RCAs and set the recorder on whatever input you used to record. The recorder has to connect to the TV line inputs, they don't output through the RF. Connect to the TV with, in order of preference, the triple components, s-video, RCAs. If using component or s-video, you still need RCAs for audio.

Username: Lj33

I've been able to disable EPG on my DVR 533H and have had success doing timer recordings from cable...HOWEVER...I have had a few instances where the recording did not work (I triple check the time, date, channel etc every time). During these instances when the recording fails, "EPG" shows on the display. Can anyone please explain this? I've missed a few key recordings and hope to not miss anymore! Thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us