Just purchased Samsung HLR5067W

Username: Jpatey

Post Number: 1
I am new to the board and just purchased the 5067w. What would be the best way to improve the picture? In the store they are perfect. Are there any cables out there that will improve the picture from my cable box, I will be upgrading to an HD box tommrow. Also with the DNIE, is that a feature that is always on? When I use the test mode and then turn it off it seems like I revert to the non-DNIE mode. Thanks for any help.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 345
Well...cable boxes are about the worst signal source for standard definition programming.
I like Direct TV myself.
There should be some network digital feeds if you take the coax straight to the tuner input, though. They won't be on normally recognized channels, but they should be there somewhere. TNT HD should be there too unless they scrambled it. Standard definition will look a little better without the box too if your cable system is like most.
If the digital channels are not on the bare coax I would get a regular UHF antenna and catch the digital networks off-air. That's what I do since Direct TV doesn't offer digital network feeds yet.

Username: Pdigg

Post Number: 4
Hey John..
The same thing happens to me with my HLR4266W.
Anything I watch, if I turn on the DNIe demo and then turn it off, my picture looks like the "off" side.
I could care less either way though.. I just got done watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy over the weekend, and it absolutely blew me away on this TV. I'm running the DVD player directly to my HDMI input and it looks outrageous.

Regards,
Paul

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 816
thats funny cable looks great on my used 4:3 Plasma.

As well on my 8 year old 50" Toshu RPCRT,,,,,

Perhaps another "excuse" or buck pass for the terribly misleading DLP/LCD RP debacle?

It MUST be the cable....LOL Sorry you guys bought a pig in the poke....especially those with DLP technology, DNile means more then a fancy technical term.

One of the MOST read statements on this part of this forum is

" The same thing happens to me with my...(insert any FP RP display here) LOL

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 348
John,

I shared this post with Paul on another thread.

"I have the HL-R5067W. I have found that the DNIE demo mode takes over both halves of the screen for the demonstration by altering the contrast. It does not leave the left half in the same "On" mode as if the demo was not in use.

During the demo, dark scenes become lighter and light scenes become darker on both sides, but the sharper, clearer, more colorful image is the left half, which is "On". I recorded this on my DVR. Then I switched the demo off and recorded the same HD program, "Cheetah", normally. Using my pause feature I was able to determine that the normal recording is the same clarity and color as the recording of the left "On" side of the demo. The contrast was slightly different, though.

I think it would be better if the demo mode did not take over both halves of the screen by altering the contrast. Something tells me that the demo mode must revert to default user settings of contrast and brightness."

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the help. I am most likely goign to stick with cablevision b/c of the phone and internet package, you really can't beat the price. For now I just want to straighten out the clarity of the picture, I guess I am gettign worried that I just spent all this money on a TV. I am going to get the cablevision HD box this weekend. I would like to go directly into the tv but then wouldn't I lose the HD and not be able to access all cable channels plus I would lose the option of my DVR box from cable. I have been looking into the expensive cables and connectors wondering if they will help at all.

Username: Pdigg

Post Number: 5
John -
I used to live in Jersey where I had Cablevision, and my ex-roommate is still there and is upgrading to HD, he has checked out the boxes that Cablevision uses..

The DVR box should have a dual tuner. You can run one line out using an HDMI cable to the back of your TV (or components, whichever you prefer, I would use the HDMI if you have the slot open on the TV). And from the other tuner from the back of the box, you can run probably an S-video.
If you want, you can even split the connection before it hits the cable box. Run one coaxial into the cable box and use that for HD, and run the other coaxial into the back of your TV and use that for non-HD viewing. You could even run the non-HD coaxial through a VCR so you could record on both the VCR and DVR player at once if you choose.

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the help. I un-hooked my cable box last night and ran the cable direct to the tv. About the same picture on regular cable, but when I got to an HD channel I was really impressed I guess that is why I bought it. I just wish they offered more HD programming on Cablevision on LI.

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 827
YEP...People spend a lot of money for very few compelling HD broadcasts and the standard TV looks worse. Amazing........Well if they do that they will certainlt take the next speo and buy those $150 Monster cables....with high hopes.

Hey at least you can watch bees pollinate flowers in HD!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us