Upconversion on DVD +- RW etc

Username: Xxterrellxx

Post Number: 1
I currently work at a Best Buy in Indianapolis, and I've been researching quite a few things about upconversion dvd players. What my primary question is... can an upconversion DVD player , through HDMI, convert a COPIED dvd into the 1080i or 720p formats? I've demo'd original discs with noticibly better picture quality, however we have no copied discs available, and i'm not sure if telling customers, or burning discs myself, would work well with upconversion. Thanks for the info
Terrell

fx
Unregistered guest
Yep, if by copied you mean one recorded on a home DVD recorder and not a pirated copy. All the upscaling player does is scale and interpolate 480i data which is all that is recorded on any DVD. Most HDTV's (In fact all) will upscale a 480i input from a regular non-progressive DVD player as well. The only advantage of an upscaling DVD player is that the signal is kept in the digital domain with no D to A conversion during the transfer of data from the DVD to the display. If your customers have a rear projection CRT then they are wasting their money on an upscaling DVD player because it gets changed back to analog before it is displayed anyway. For all fixed pixel displays there may be some noticeable improvement. But like all things different quality of upscaling players exist. If one does not have the Farojada (spelling??) chipset it is likely the scaling circuitry in the display will do a better job.

xvxvxvx

Username: Xxterrellxx

Post Number: 2
HD tube tv would work?
LCD / DLP projections would work?
Plasma/ LCD would work?
CRT Projection would not work?
Front projo's would work ?

And copied i mean as a dvd recorder ( component or computer) the legal way
For my own personal home theater setting i'm probably interested mostly in an LCD/DLP projection 50-65 inches, with a sony 400 disc Upconversion dvd player.. I'll copy my discs with a computer burner, or a component with GODVD to strip copyright.

Just tryin to figure out if it will upconvert, or if i should just hold off until blu-ray / HDdvd comes out
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us