New 1080p HDTV

Bronze Member
Username: Chopper414

New York, New York

Post Number: 59
I'm considering purchasing the new 1080p format. There (2) I'm considering: First choice is the Mitsubishi WD-62927 & the second choice is the Samsung HL-R6178W. What do you guys think?

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 700
http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages/reality.htm

Save your money.

Username: Demon411

Post Number: 1
Interesting, but I don't think that last link's article is entirely correct. This 1080p Samsung for example claims the exact refresh rates, the article claims do not exit.

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser=&pr od_id=HLR7178WX%2fXAA

Username: Dstraight

Post Number: 3
I was looking into 1080p and decided to wait after finding out that none of the TVs I was interested in (sony/mitsu) could handle 1080p as an input signal. I guess when they say 1080p they mean they can upconvert 1080i... Upconverting is great and all, but I want a TV that can handle a 1080p input so when hd dvd comes out I will be ready.

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1534
If you play a lot of DVD's I'd hold off on the Samsung for a bit. I have the 6178 and am having some lip sync issues.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/167949.html

Thinking about swapping it for the Mitsu.

-Fishy

Bronze Member
Username: Paul98

Post Number: 14
There are more 1080p units coming out, though not sure which ones accept a 1080p input. But that article is old, and TI does have a true 1080p DLP chips.

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1535
From what I've read, although blu-ray should support 1080p output, the proposed HD-DVD standard will only support 1080i.

Still, I think I'll be returning my HL-R6178. Apparently Samsung hasn't found a way to speed up video processing enough to avoid lip sync issues with DVD's. The last thing I want to have to do is mess with A/V alignment every time I go to watch a movie.

I hate to say it, but I think many of tom bong's rants may have had some merit. Too bad he lost credibility by flooding the boards with his comments.

-Fishy

Bronze Member
Username: Mystro

Post Number: 62
Most hi-end recievers have a global time correction for any digital audio sync problems.
It is a one time set-up adjustment. I set my delay to 80ms and it was a done deal. I am assuming mostly audiophiles that are buying a 1080p display and not using the factory speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 383
Fishy has ignored my comments and experiments about A/V sync, DVD players, and Samsung DLP's. Mine works perfectly with no lag. Others replaced their DVD player and corrected the problem.

Would you send back your beautiful DLP display to keep a cheap DVD player or replace the DVD player with a model that works well with the set?

Also, there was no merit to the rant!

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1537
You have a 1080p set FYI?

If not I don't see your point.

And with regards to a global time delay setting, that wouldn't work as the video delay varies from DVD to DVD. "I Robot" goes off without a hitch, but "Alexander" is a nightmare.

As far as it being an issue with a "cheap" DVD player I find that highly improbable as both my DVD 25 and S77 exhibit the same amount of video delay per DVD when utilizing component outs(480p).

It doesn't matter though. As of today its Sound Advice's problem. I'm done messing with it.

-Fishy

Bronze Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 33
Interesting article on 1080P HDTV's frome Modern Home Theater magazine.http://www.revolutionhometheater.com/howto/picktv/

Silver Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 115
Fishy writes:
"And with regards to a global time delay setting, that wouldn't work as the video delay varies from DVD to DVD. "I Robot" goes off without a hitch, but "Alexander" is a nightmare."

That is one unintentionally hilarious paragraph. Will Smith is in "I Robot" as well as a movie called, that's right, "Hitch". So if your TV is making I Robot go off without a hitch..........
And I think everyone can agree Alexander is a nightmare no matter what TV you watch it on!

Thank you folks, I'll be here all week. Enjoy the buffet!

Username: Dstraight

Post Number: 5
The article says:
"What is important is that you get a new TV that has the native resolution that can handle 1080p." and "Is now the right time to buy a new TV? Most likely, yes."

I agree with the first quote but disagree with the second. I am no expert, but my understanding is that the 1080p TVs available today (tosh, mitsu, sony) cannot accept a native 1080p input signal but get to 1080p by upconverting a 1080i or 720p input signal. Of course, this makes perfect sense today since there is no 1080p content currently available but it is hardly future proof. If you really want compatibility with hdtv DVD, you need to be able to accept their highest res output signal which, I assume, will be 1080p. Today's TVs cannot do that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us