To 1080p or Not To 1080p, this is the question...

Username: Imustbecrazy

Post Number: 9
I found these links at:
http://www.highdefforum.com

It's a must read. Forgive me if it's already been posted:

http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages/reality.htm

http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages/followup.htm

CU

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 664
Finally someone who actually does do some research and is not blindly buying up to a spec that has no reason to exist today like millions of audiophiles do everyday!

Save your money. The manufacturers are selling specs because they know there are those who cannot bear to have the bleeding edge whether or not there is any real world benefit.

Think about it. There is barely any HD content as it is. Do you really think there will be 1080P broadcasts anytime soon? Let someone else buy "theory" and crystal ball specifications. Samsung does not even have a real 1080P but they want to jump on that bandwagon because they know there is an Azz for every seat!!!

"It's obvious that the buzzword in consumer TV technology this year is "1080p". Several manufacturers are showing and shipping 1080p DLP and LCoS rear-projection TVs. We've seen RPTVs and front projectors with 1920x1080 polysilicon LCD panels at CESA, NAB, and InfoComm. And the trickle of large LCD TVs and monitors with 1920x1080 resolution is turning into a flood.

To get your attention, marketers are referring to 1080p as "full spec" HD or "true" HD, a phrase also used by more than one HD veteran in the broadcast industry. We're hearing about "1080p content" coming out of Hollywood, from broadcasters, from cable systems, and from direct broadcast satellite services.

The budding format war between Blu-ray and HD DVD for the next generation of high definition DVD players promises the same thing -- 1080p content at high bit rates, finally realizing the full potential of HDTV.

STOP!

Enough of this nonsense. It's time to set the record straight, to clear up the air about what 1080p is and isn't.

First off, there is no 1080p HDTV transmission format. There is a 1080p/24 production format in wide use for prime time TV shows and some feature films. But these programs must be converted to 1080i/30 (that's interlaced, not progressive scan) before airing on any terrestrial, satellite, or cable TV network.

What's that, you say? Those 1080p/24 could be broadcast as a digital signal? That's true, except that none of the consumer HDTV sets out there would support the non-standard horizontal scan rate required. And you sure wouldn't want to watch 24Hz video for any length of time; the flicker would drive you crazy after a few seconds.

No, you'd need to have your TV refresh images at either a 2x (48Hz) or 3x (72Hz) frame rate, neither of which is supported by most HDTVs. If the HDTV has a computer (PC) input, that might work. But if you are receiving the signals off-air or using a DVI HDCP or HDMI connection, you'll be outta luck.

What about live HDTV? That is captured, edited, and broadcast as 1080i/30. No exceptions. At present, there are no off-the-shelf broadcast cameras that can handle 1080p/60, a true progressive format with fast picture refresh rates. It's just too much digital data to handle and requires way too much bandwidth or severe MPEG compression. (Consider that uncompressed 1920x1080i requires about 1.3 gigabits per second to move around. 1080p/60 would double that data rate.)

How about Blu-ray and HD-DVD? If either format is used to store and play back live HD content, it will have to be 1920x1080i (interlaced again) to be compatible with the bulk of consumer TVs. And any progressive-scan content will also have to be interlaced for viewing on the majority of HDTV sets."

Silver Member
Username: Dlp4me

Post Number: 223
The entire opinion from both articles doesn't address the fact that current 1080I transmissions are adequate for 1080P sets to function the way they are supposed to. Those who think 1080P content is required to enjoy the new sets are misguided. All the information from the articles and tom bong is total bullshit.

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 671
Spoken like a true former Texas Instrument Shill. BTW TI does not even HAVE a real 1080P cip in thie 1080P TVs...Can you say wobbulation?

Big deal 1080i is adequate! You want to spend $3000 on adequate? Go ahead! Those who think 1080P is not more marketing Hype are severly misguided.

BTW Bold does not make it more credible...TI BOY!!
You never stop advertsiing do ya?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us