Help a total noob

Username: Mojovonious

Post Number: 1
Hey guys,

well, I'm in the market for a start HDTV set, nothing too too pricey, somewhere in the $2000 canadian range, 42-52". I just don't know anything about HDTV. I'm manily getting it for xbox360 and for dvds. So I have a few questions I'd like to ask.

Will I need a special box took get an hdtv signal from my xbox to my tv, or from my dvd player to my tv, or is it a direct connection?

What exactly is a HDTV ready set?

Should I spend the extra cash and get a DLP?

Finally, what TV should i get?

Thanks guys.

fx
Unregistered guest
HDTV ready means you need an external tuner in order to display high definition programming. Either an ATSC turner for OTA signals or a QAM tuner for cable HD channels.

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member
Username: Saaketham

Post Number: 26
>Will I need a special box took get an hdtv >signal from my xbox to my tv, or from my dvd >player to my tv, or is it a direct connection?

XBox - you will need to buy the $20 HD AV Pack from Microsoft to get HD out from XBox to HDTV. But, I'm not sure about the XBox 360 as its not out yet. It probably comes with the HD out cables.

>What exactly is a HDTV ready set?
The TV is capable of displaying HD signals, but does not have a built-in tuner. So, if your HD service provider is Cox, you'll need to rent Cox's HD box in order to get HD channels. With Cox, HD-ready is better in a sense, as with the box, you have the interactive TV-guide. Without it, you can watch HD on a HDTV with built-in tuner, but won't be able to use the channel guide.

> Should I spend the extra cash and get a DLP?

Not necessarily.

DLP
Pros: thin profile, good clarity.
Cons: lamp has to be changed (frequently or infrequently, depending on your luck) and costs a whole lot of money

CRT pros: still the best image in terms of colors and sharpness, no native resolution, since it can handle resolution as needed
CRT cons: limited to 36" max, very heavy and huge, flicker with static images

CRT rear-projection pros: thinner than a comparable CRT, less costlier than comparable plasmas, DLP-rear-proj, LCD-rear-proj
CRT rear-projection cons: not really bright, heavy, flicker with static images

DLP / LCD-rear-proj
Pros: thinner profile, bright
Cons: Lamp life limited, lamp costly

LCD
Pros: Sweet profile, very thin, can be mounted on a wall
Cons: Motion creates ghosting, costly for larger sizes, pixellation visible at certain resolutions

>Finally, what TV should i get?

I have a Sony 46" HDTV-monitor. Its a CRT-based rear-projection thats not too deep and fits easily into my living room. With HD channels, the clarity is amazing. Same with DVDs played off a DVD player with true HD out, such as the DVD on a PC, with a graphics card that can output DVI. Hitachi and Sony are among the best. Samsung is also good.

Anil

Username: Mojovonious

Post Number: 2
Ok, so DLP is out of the question then. Since this is my first forray into the HDTV realm, I thought I would start off with something a little more basic. Such as this set...

Panasonic 53" 53WX54

Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us