DVI cable or componant video?

Bronze Member
Username: Marvel

CANADA

Post Number: 14
I just bought a HD cable box/PVR It did not come with any (good) cables. Which cable will provide the best picture, DVI or Componant? The back of the cable box has only an HDMI out and my TV only has a DVI in or Componant in so if I did go with DVI I would need a cable that is HDMI on one end and DVI on the other.

Thanks for any info.

Silver Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 262
If it was me, I'd try DVI first. Supposedly it's better than component. However, make sure to buy the cable from someone that has a liberal return policy, because you might not be happy with the results.

Personally, I use component as much as possible...

Bronze Member
Username: Saaketham

Post Number: 27
DVI is theoretically the best as its a digital signal. Components are high-quality, but still analog and the conversion can (theoetically) cause degradation. However, I found no difference on my cable box to HDTV. DVI is definitely not inferior to Y, Pb, Pr!

Gold Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 1131
Whether DVI gives a better picture than component is very much dependent on the equipment to which the cables are connected. You just have to experiment.

The MOFO has spoken.

Anonymous

If this has any bearing, my lcd computer monitor came with both a VGA and DVI cable, and the DVI has a much better quality feed from a dvd source.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us