Descrambler to replace a Zenith PM-1 cablebox?

Anonymous

I have basic plus cable (channels 1-74 or so), with the HBO/Cinemax package from Blue Ridge Comm. in PA (probably relatively unknown). For the HBO/Cinemax, they gave me a Zenith PM-1 cablebox. Does anyone know of a descrambler that I can get that can take the place of the cablebox, so I can stop paying for the HBO/Cinemax and drop down to basic plus, but still receive the HBO/Cinemax channels? The research I've done so far tells me that a descrambler for the Zenith PM-1 doesn't exist. Please tell me that's not true. Thanks for any help!

Anonymous

Anyone have any suggestions or comments? Any at all?

makebank
Unregistered guest
well i bought a digital descrambler from hdtvdescramblers.com about a year ago for my HDTV box and its worked great. good luck.

Anonymous

Research on the web has told me that the only Zenith boxes that don't have a descrambler are PM-1, PM-2, and PZ-1. My next step is to put a scope on the signal to see how it is scrambled (i.e. where is the sync pulse). I'm hoping it is in-band, but I'm afraid it might not be. Does anyone know where I might find some specs on the PM-1 box so I could find out what method it uses to desramble signals? My friend is getting a CoolBox descrambler for his setup, and I think he's going to let me borrow it first to see if it will work, but it would still be nice to have some specs on the box. Again, any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!

dogrun
Unregistered guest
we also have zenith (pm2) with blue ridge - someone must know of a descrambler - any help would be so goood!

R_o_b_e_r_t
Unregistered guest
The PM/PZ signal is scrambled with Zenith's PROCESS system - Phase Reversal Of Carrier Encrypted Sync Suppression

Anonymous

test

R_O_B_E_R_T
Unregistered guest
In a nut shell: The Zenith signal is scrambled at the RF (i.e. not baseband) level using custom SAW filters. In the scrambler, the video IF is switched through the SAW filter during the horizontal blanking interval. The SAW filter both attenuates the sync and phase reverses the picture carrier. The sound and chroma carriers are unaffected. At the descrambler, a complementary SAW filter restores the amplitude and phase of the signal. Descrambling data and modes are conveyed to the descramblers by pulse width modulating the phase reversal interval. PWM data is encrypted at several levels. The encryption, the custom SAW filters and the low penetration rate of this system all have made hacking this system unprofitable. What else do you want to know?

R_O_B_E_R_T
Unregistered guest
So, to answer your questions:
The PM/PZ is an in-band RF scrambling system. The descrambler simply detects the carrier phase reversals and switches the signal through the appropriate SAW filter during the phase reversal interval (horiz blanking). There are three levels of sync supression - 0dB, 6dB and 10dB. The current mode is conveyed by the encrypted PWM data. BRC in the Poconos does not use dynamic scrambling - all scrambled channels are fixed in the 6dB mode. That makes hacking easier because you don't need the encrypted scrambling mode data. You just need to detect the carrier phase reversals. Easy enough with a PLL. Now what about the SAW filter? Get yourself an old PM/PZ converter and rip the SAW filter out of it. You see where I'm going here. I know this system pretty well...

R_O_B_E_R_T
Unregistered guest
Call these guys and ask for a PD3. If they still have them, get one (or two or three). Don't ask them any questions, just buy 'em if they have 'em.

Let me know your results.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us