Wiring cable throughout your home.

Username: Toolmaker

Providence, RI

Post Number: 10
I would like an opinion on the best way to cable my home.

Presently, I have 5 devices connected this way, with the incoming cable connected to a 3-Way Splitter.

3-Way Splitter to:
Cable Modem
FamilyRoom HDTV
3-Way 2nd Splitter

3-Way 2nd Splitter to:
Bedroom TV1
Bedroom TV2
Bedroom TV3

I need to connect 3 more devices, for a total of 8 devices. Should I use a:

4-Way Splitter to:
Cable Modem
FamilyRoom HDTV
3-Way 2nd Splitter
3-Way 3rd Splitter

3-Way 2nd Splitter to:
Bedroom TV1
Bedroom TV2
Bedroom TV3

3-Way 3rd Splitter to:
Kitchen TV4
Office TV5
Computer Monitor TV6

I think, this may be the better way:

3-Way Splitter to:
Cable Modem
FamilyRoom HDTV
Cable Signal Booster/AMP

Cable Signal Booster/AMP to 6-Way Splitter

6-Way Splitter to:
Bedroom TV1
Bedroom TV2
Bedroom TV3
Kitchen TV4
Office TV5
Computer Monitor TV6

If you agree, is the amp from this link below, something I should consider.

http://www.accessorytown.com/detail.asp?Product_id=484095-001-00&id=43

I have seen RCA amps at local stores that have either 1 or 4 outputs. The local hardware store, also has a amp and 6-way splitter made by Leviton, that can also be plugged into one of their modular media center boxes, that can handle internet, TV, and phone distribution.

Thanks for any ideas!

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 344
My recommendation would be a two way splitter, one leg feeding into an amplifier, the other leg feeding directly to your cable modem. On the output of your cable amplifier, you should try to find an 8 way splitter (you'll have one open port for future use) Of course you could always try the three way like you mentioned then use the amplifier through a 6 way splitter, but I really like to see cable modems on their own feed without having to share splits anymore then you have to.

Bronze Member

Providence, RI

Post Number: 15
Cableguy thanks for the info. I want to keep my cable modem speed as fast as possible, so I may go with your recommendation, and use a 2-way to 8-way. Right now, even using a starting 3-way my cable modem performance is very good. My downstream power which should be between -12db and +12db, is 0. My downstream SNR which is best over 30, is 34. And my upstream power which should be below 55, is 32. I believe, these are good numbers as reported back to me by dslreports.com. I've seen single amps, splitters, splitters called taps, and amp/splitter combos. Would you consider a amp/splitter combo? I've seen a Channel Master @$50, and a Electroline @$90. The Electroline looks nice! I've also noticed different types of amps, of which I believe I'm looking for a bi-directional drop amp, correct. Any suggestions?

Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 366
Bob,
I would recommend the bottom middle or bottom right. Depending on what your actual signal strength is going into the amps, you don't want too much as that can cause problems. If you use the four port, you'd need 3 two ways (4 port amp +3 two-ways = 7 total outlet feeds, with one of them being non-split) You could use the two way upstream of the amp, one leg to the modem, the other leg feeding the amp. The un-split port on the amp could be used for your HDTV and the other 6 remaining (the ones with the two-ways) to feed the remaining TV's in your house. Yes you definately need one that is bi-directional. I believe the electrolines are the same type we use, they are very reliable and spec'd out very nice. If it's the same amplification you will gain +7 dB on the ports, which is better then the single port which would gain +15dB just to be knocked back down with an 8-way splitter.

Last but not least, yes your modem levels are pristine. :-)

Good luck with it!

Bronze Member

Providence, RI

Post Number: 16
Hi Cableguy,

Yes, the 4-port has +7 dB gain and the 8-port +4 dB gain, on each port. I have a good signal now, and my longest cable will be 40ft, so I probably don't need much amplification. The initial 2-way will give me a -3.5 dB loss, and the 8-port amp with +4 dB gain, should probably take me back to 0. If I had too strong of a signal, what are the symptoms?

Also, my inital current 3-way splitter, connects to my CM, HDTV, and a 4-way that runs to the other TV's. On this port to the 4-way, there is a small 3/4" round 1"long device labeled PF02M, which looks like a filter. Since I do not have a digital STB on these other 4 TV's and they just receive analog channels, could this device be a digital filter of some sort. If I re-wired with an 8-way AMP/splitter, do I need anything like this device connected to my other TV's.

Thanks again, Bob

Unregistered guest
I need to connect my new Sony KLV-S23A10 that has A/V composite audio-video/S-Video/Component video/and HDMI to my Dish Network 4900 UFH receiver that has A/V composite audio-video/S-Video output. I need to run the cables approx. 50' from basement to bedroom. Can it be done? How can it be done? Thanks - Tom

Username: Sealevel

Post Number: 1
I am building a new house and would like to set things up so I have decent signal strength for my modem as well as my tvs. I plan on having 4 TVs, 2 of which will probably be HD and 1 internet connection. One tv will be 10' from manin panel, one HD TV 40', one TV & modem 60' and one HD TV 80'. Can anyone tell me the correct way to run my cables for maxium signal strength? Many thanx...sealevel
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us