Sony KDF-E42A10 - PC input or DVI to HDMI?

Username: Willdawg

Post Number: 1
I'm planning on getting a Sony E42A10 and I want to hook my desktop to it. A friend of mine has this same TV so I went to his place to see how well the PC input worked and was rather saddened when all I could get was a cropped 4:3 image of my 16:9 laptop's desktop. I changed the wide mode of the TV to Full 2 but that just streched the 4:3 image to fill the 16:9 screen. So if I wanted to work on the right side of my screen, ya know where most people dock buddy lists and where to go to close windows, I had to move my mouse over there so that the screen would scroll and thus made it so I couldn't see the left side of the screen. This was when I was simply cloning my laptop's screen, when I set the D-SUB out to be an attached secondary monitior then there was no scrolling bt again it was a 4:3 image.

I looked in the TV book and it said it could support a resolution of 1280x768 (funny how the actual specs of the TV say its resolution is 1280x720) but the only 1280 resolution on my computer (when I was cloning the screen) was 1280x800. When I was in the Wega Gate of the TV trying to set it up it said it's resolution was 1024x768 which of course is the resolution that my computer was doing when I had the TV as an attached second monitor.

So any thoughts on how to have the TV actually live up to the book's boast of 1280x768?

Like I said before when I get mine it will be connected to my Desktop which has DVI out as well so would a DVI to HDMI cable work? I can't really test this one out since it would take so much to move either the desktop or my buddy's TV.

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 537
They also claim a lot longer lamp life then you will enjoy. Do you believe everything you read? If so you deserve to own that TV.

Bronze Member
Username: Helpful_smurf

Post Number: 80
The problem is the output end, if you don't push a widescreen image then you have to stretch a 4:3 image to fit. It's a software fix on the computer end you need to be looking at.

And ignore Tom, he's a freakin imbecile.

Silver Member

Post Number: 541
OF couse. Its your friggin computer..Not the TV. It's never the TV. Spoken like a true Salesman trying hard to "sell sell sell" at any cost.

Look poster if it doesn't work now . It won't work later. Forget the TV. You are being seduced by a cruel mistress with this technology right now.

But you may be one of the lucky ones. who knows.

Silver Member
Username: Dlp4me

Post Number: 189
tom has a dumbass comment for any thread.

He will fabricate bullshit to serve his demented arguments.

Will,

It's just a matter of having the right video drivers for your card.
Google for the "Powerstrip" driver.
It will scale to anything.

Silver Member

Post Number: 551
At least I have an argument. All you can do is Spam you Texas Instrument BS talking point advertisement.

This guy will find out sooner rather then later he made a mistake. Probably within the next year and a half. He will remember this post then.

Silver Member

Post Number: 203
You have a bullshit argument not worth consideration.

I'm not a T.I. employee.
I don't hold a single share of stock in T.I. either.

It's just more of your fabricated bullshit!

Silver Member

Post Number: 555
OK FORMER TI employee.....as if that makes all the difference LOL. You have a love affair with DMD and you are a clearly shill for TI product,

Your BOLD typecase reveals your extremily defensive posture......LOL

Silver Member

Post Number: 208
Be careful if you are reading a "tom bong" post.
Don't get caught in the "bong spin zone"!

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/158832.html

BTW, no charge for my opinion.

Silver Member

Post Number: 564
Funny stuff...SPAM the board now theres a good way to get your message across LOL

Silver Member

Post Number: 216
I see you're busy!

Silver Member

Post Number: 565
I'd rather be busy writing original thought then to lazily SPAM drivel from a week ago. No imagination.
Nothing new to say. Just like a kid who is lazy but has to nevertheles get in the last word...Even if it is not his own .....

Silver Member

Post Number: 217
Look who's call'n the kettle black!

You've been saying the exact same bullshit over and over.
You don't have an original thought left to save your life.
I guess 565 posts saying the same damn thing isn't spamming to you.

J Nakazawa
Unregistered guest
You need to set your computer to a 1280 X 720 resolution. To do this go to Control Panel/ Display and in the "Settings" tab select a Screen Resolution of 1280 X 720 . Most newer computers (2 years old or less) with NVIDIA or ATI video chipsets have this resolution setting which is specifically for wide 16:9 displays.

Silver Member

Post Number: 595
What you mean to say is I have expressing the same opinion in many differnt ways. Not just cutting and pasting as you tend to retreat to.

Come on man, Its really hard to keep the opinion integral using different terms and examples. Cut me some slack.

ChevyIIMan
Unregistered guest
J Nakazawa is right i have this same tv and a simple change to 1280 x 720 on my ATI card and the picture drops right in.

Username: Ironvalor

Post Number: 2
i just bought a Sony 55" LCD projection to hook up the new XBOX 360 ,( my sony has not been delivered yet, i get it oct. 24 . the reason i went with this model was the 3LCD technology )
i see no problem with hooking up the XBOX 360, but my PC is another issue. i have DVI out and the Sony has HDMI in. no VGA or RGB. the native resolution is 1366 x 768 . i would be happy to get 1280 x 720 if possible. i made the salesmen hook up a desktop to a 62" Mitsubishi Rear LCD ( dvi out to hdmi in using converter cable ) the start up screen would show then freeze. the online manual to my tv has one small note under hooking up DVI equipment which reads " important to hook up DVI equipment first then connect to HDMI " and then theres HDCP to deal with. will i be able to get my tv to be a awsome monitor or what? .. i already have powerstrip downloaded and installed crossing my fingers that i will be able to have a kickass monitor... but theres always XBOX 360 ...
can anyone point me in the right direction?

any tips will be much appreciated ...
THANX

Username: Willdawg

Post Number: 3
Well I used Powerstrip as suggested and was able to force the ATI graphics on my laptop to do 1280x720 which finally gave me a 16:9 image, though there was some black all the way around the edges, but that I can live with. Although I may not even use the PC in in the long run because that would mean getting a new graphics card for my desktop and since my current card is supposed to support HD component out I'll be trying that first. We'll have to wait and see how that looks when my store finally gets more of the E42A10's back in stock.

As for the HDMI DVI stuff I have been looking around the net as well as home theater mags and while no answer is given for sure about it I do beleive that a video card that does DVI with HDCP will work with the HDMI on the back of the TV. HDCP is a digital rights management ptotocol that is supported by some DVI equipment/cables and is fully built into HDMI. I have found a few vid cards that mention HDCP so they would probably be your best bet along with a good quality HDMI to DVI cable (I would go with the actual cable since it is built with HDMI in mind whereas a DVI/HDMI adapter would be limited to the type of DVI cable used). If you type in HDCP as a keywork on any number of online computer stores while browing the video card section you should come up with a few. I was looking on Newegg.com and it came up with 3 ATI cards, down side for me is that they all were PCI Express.

I'll be intersted to see how the VGA hook-up for the Xbox 360 works out. I wonder if Sony will go VGA or HDMI with PS3.

Silver Member
Username: Wearenotalone69

Post Number: 120
http://dvi.baumannpaper.com/

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=479369#POST479369

PS: I hope the Hollywood types that added the copyright BS to the data stream go to an early grave... That they go to hell, and spend the rest of time trying to get a dvi and a hdcp set to work together (DVI does not have the HDCP handshake -AKA HDMI.. so it will never work)

One last thing... you can bet on Hollywood is planning on forcing into effect some "new" type of standard into effect once HDMI-HDCP is cracked... DVI only lasted a year according to the above info.. Wonder how long before HDMI goes away... and we all have to buy all new "stuff".

Thank you Hollywood... (Hey Hollywood, drop the price of a DVD to around $10 and no-one would bother copying... Or buying a bootleg version.)

Username: Brian67

I am having problems setting up my Sony KDF, with my ATI 9200SE graphics card and a DVI to HDMI cable.
Should I be using the HDMI input?
Or should I go VGA to composite?
What is the proper resolution and scan rate?

Thank you,

tho_x_tran
Unregistered guest
The correct way is Primary VGA(PC)-to-VGA(TV). The HDTV HDMI or DVI is NOT PC Input. Many HDTV do not have them. You can connect your PC to the TV via Component input using a converter but I do not know if this has any problem. Only those listed as having PC input have VGA connector for the PC. The PC resolution of almost ALL HDTV today is XGA (1024x768) at 60 Hz. If you set the PC resolution in your computer higher than this, the picture will be cropped or worse, bad for the TV. Some do have WXGA which is 1388 x 768 (I think) which does not seem to be any better than XGA. It seems to be stretched longer only.

I have a Panasonic 43LC14 which has a PC input (VGA) port which I hook directly to my graphic card VGA port (has both VGA and DVI). It looks just great, no cropping or streched pictures. Of course, what you see (4:3) or (16:9) depends on the broadcast. If your graphic card has only DVI output then you need a DVI-to-VGA adapter which is widely available and often provided by the graphic card manufacturer.

tho_x_tran
Unregistered guest
HDMI or DVI on the HDTV is NOT a PC input. Only those provided with a VGA port can be hooked directly to a PC and serves as the primary monitor. These HDTV often mention as having PC inputs. Almost half of HDTV today do NOT have PC input.

I have done some research on this part before buying my RP-LCD Panasonic 43LC14 which has a PC (VGA) input. I use my it to surf the Web, watch DVD from the PC and use it as the only display. I also have Over The Air HDTV captured via the PC HDTV tuner card , it looks great and of course FREE. Most if not all HDTV today (those who have PC input (aka VGA port)) can only display upto XGA resolution i.e. 1024x768. The PC must be set at this resolution or the picture will be cropped. It must be set at 60 HZ as well or risk damaging the HDTV. The HDTV will convert properly to its native resolution. It is NOT the TV problem. I do not have any issue at all. Of course it depends on the broadcast whether it is 4:3 or 16:9 (and many other formats too), the picture will be shown accordingly.

Hooking TV to a Laptop is a different issue. The laptop treats it as a second display or extended display and how it works depends on the PC graphic hardware and its driver/software. Often, one needs to choose setting from the PC to turn the TV into the primary display but this needs to be set after everytime the laptop reboot. Again, how it looks depends on the PC, not the TV.

tho_x_tran
Unregistered guest
HDMI or DVI on the HDTV is NOT a PC input. Only those provided with a VGA port can be hooked directly to a PC and serves as the primary monitor. These HDTV often mention as having PC inputs. Almost half of HDTV today do NOT have PC input.

I have done some research on this part before buying my RP-LCD Panasonic 43LC14 which has a PC (VGA) input. I use my it to surf the Web, watch DVD from the PC and use it as the only display. I also have Over The Air HDTV captured via the PC HDTV tuner card , it looks great and of course FREE. Most if not all HDTV today (those who have PC input (aka VGA port)) can only display upto XGA resolution i.e. 1024x768. The PC must be set at this resolution or the picture will be cropped. It must be set at 60 HZ as well or risk damaging the HDTV. The HDTV will convert properly to its native resolution. It is NOT the TV problem. I do not have any issue at all. Of course it depends on the broadcast whether it is 4:3 or 16:9 (and many other formats too), the picture will be shown accordingly.

Hooking TV to a Laptop is a different issue. The laptop treats it as a second display or extended display and how it works depends on the PC graphic hardware and its driver/software. Often, one needs to choose setting from the PC to turn the TV into the primary display but this needs to be set after everytime the laptop reboot. Again, how it looks depends on the PC, not the TV.

tho_x_tran
Unregistered guest

tho_x_tran
Unregistered guest
If your TV has a VGA, connect directly from VGA (PC) to VGA (TV). DVI or HDMI port of the TV is NOT an PC input. A lots of HDTV do NOT have PC input (aka VGA). THose who do often explicitly say so (as having PC input). The computer resolution must be set at XGA (1024x768) or picture will be cropped. Also set frequenct to 60Hz or risk damaging the TV.
Most if not all HDTV with PC input today only offer upto XGA resolution, Do not confuse with the 1280x720 TC native resolution, they are NOT the same. Your PC must be set at 1024x768 and NOT 1280x720 or the picture will be cropped or stretched inappropriately.

Connect to a laptop is a different issue. IT treats the TV as a 2nd or extende display and how the TV look or work depends on the laptop graphic device and its driver/software. It is NOT the TV problem. I have a RP-LCD Panasonic 43LC14 and it has a VGA port that I hook to my PC (has both VGA and DVI input). It works great, not cropping or distorted picture at all. I even have Over The Air broadcast captured via my PC HDTV TUner card and displayed on my TV (since it is the PC display too), it is great and FREE.

Post Number: 8

why or graphics cards such as ATI coming out with
HDMI-HDCP compliance on the board level then?

from ATI's website on the X850:

Dual integrated display controllers
Dual integrated 10 bit per channel 400 MHz DACs
Integrated 165 MHz TMDS transmitter (DVI 1.0 compliant / HDMI interoperable and HDCP ready)

www.ati.com/products/radeonx850/specs.html

Post Number: 9

sorry for the spelling errors ( in a hurry )

Anonymous

Is the 52HM95 television a good match for the xbox 360? Is this a reliable set for the money?

Post Number: 3
So it is wrong to go DVI to HDMI?

Should a person buy the a VGA to component converter?

It is interesting because the resolution specs of the KDF's HDMI and Component inputs are different.

THank you

tho_x_tran
Unregistered guest
Byron,
The PC Monitor and TV output from the graphic card are different. Any card that has a TV output can be connected to a TV but the TV will NOT function as the PC monitor, it will only function as a 2nd display (or extended display which means just like the monitor is now the combine of both). One still needs a monitor and that is the primary display device. Some software will not even work such as Power DVD or Intervideo WinDVD UNLESS the TV is setup to become the primary display and this setup needs to be done EVERY TIME the computer reboots. This ATI graphic card TV output (again not the PC monitor port) is capable of output HDTV compliant signal to the HDTV, that's all it is. I have not seen the card obviously, I just explain based on my knowledge. If it turns out I am wrong, well, one can always learn. Toshiba HDTV manual (suchas 46HMX85) clearly says NEVER connect the TV to a PC. These manuals are avail on the Toshiba web site.

Post Number: 4
The Grpahics card had three outputs VGA, DVI and Composite.

I tried going DVI to HDMI , no real success?

My thought was trying VGA to Composite to force the TV to be the primary monitor. Using a

https://www.audioauthority.com/indexh.php

Brian

tho_x_tran
Unregistered guest
ATI (ATI.com) has a DVI-to-Component convertor which should be better. This company produces quality products. (I do not work for them nor own their stocks !!)

Username: Mark_b4

Bristol, Pa Us

I have the tv we are talking about and want to buy a laptop so i can surf the web and watch and use tv as a monitor with a laptop , I am planning on buying a Sony VAIO FJ Series Notebook PC featuring Intel Pentium M Processor 740. I will enclose what i read about this pc and would like to know what i have to buy so the cable company can come and hook it up to my tv.i have hdtv cable now and don't know anything about doing this.Here is the pc and what i read on the site at circut city on this pc.i would like to use webcam on here as well on big screen,i also have a phillips 800 watt surround sound hooked up now. what do i need to get with the pc if i buy it to hook up to tv and than network laptop to my downstairs(pc) which is compaq 5bw520. cable company comcast said i can rent the box thing and the will hook it up for a fee but i don't know what to buy with the pc. any help??? i also would like to know is this is a good choice of laptop to buy as well for doing this tv thing. and can i go wireless for upstairs use of pc as well as useing tv monitor in livingroom and networkin my pc down the cellar???? here is pc specs ..>Sony VAIO FJ Series Notebook PC featuring Intel Pentium M Processor 740
Processor type Pentium M
Processor speed 1.73GHz
Frontside bus speed 533
Level 2 cache 2MB
Memory
RAM expandable to: 2GB
Graphics and sound
Screen size 14.1"
Maximum screen resolution 1280 x 800
External monitor maximum resolution Unavailable
Ports
USB 3 USB 2.0