Televisions

Bronze Member
Username: Jlandry

Post Number: 16
A little decision to make here in regards to buying a new television. I can get the hitachi 51s715 for a pretty good price. I can also get the jvc-dila close out of last years models for about $250 more. Is the jvc worth that much more? What are some of your opinions/ comments/suggestions on making this decision. Some of the pro's and cons as ya'll see them. Thanks for everything.

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 492
UNderstand with the JVC you will need to replace the lamp every year or two. Check on the cost of those lamps. The Extended Warranty will be an additional cost on the JVC. I would not buy one on the Hitachi as it's technology hasd been around quite awhile longer and it has a longer track record of reliability, Hitachi is one of the best RP CRTS you can buy today.

The PQ will be different on both as weel . You will have to look at them boith and decide which you prefer considering the input source you will mostly use.

I mostly watch DVDs so RPCRT is fine for me. IF You like the high contrast pictures and watch HD The JVC may be a better choice.

MAny will call the RPCRT technology OLD and outdated. I still think it is valid and reliable.

DO the research READ these threads and others about RP fixed Pixel displays, make your decision based on that and what you know to be true.

The S715 should be around $1500.

Silver Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 109
If size is not an issue, than hands down the Hitachi is the way to go. Tons more features, better blacks, and you can get 5 ft from the set and it still looks good (with HD or DVD). The JVC is nice too, and I do like the JVC, but that is an old model (575) and you don't get the built-in HD tuner, but that may not be a big deal to you. Also, last years JVC has known issues like un-even brightness across the screen and chromo aberation which is basically a convergence issue that you can not fix.

Silver Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 110
" IF You like the high contrast pictures and watch HD The JVC may be a better choice."

Actually, quite the contrary. The JVC does not exibit a contrasty picture. You are grouping it with DLP which has a much higher contrast ratio than LCoS. Also, the HD content on the Hitachi looks stunning. DVD's look equally as good. The JVC is definately a brighter picture, and that's what draws people to them in the showroom. (like bugs attracted to the light) In the showroom, it may look okay with that high of brightness. But when you get it home, you will be turning the brightness down, Especially if you adjust the set right using a calibration disc or even the THX optimizer.

Bronze Member
Username: Jlandry

Post Number: 17
Thanks for all of the input guys. I have looked at both of these sets. I will be using it mostly for watching television and dvd's. The television will be via cable(time warner). New technology vs. old, that is the question?

Silver Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 111
I think you can draw your own conclusion by reading through these threads. There is plenty of info out there. The CRT is an analog device, and as such will produce a smoother picture with a sub-par cable signal or NTSC analog. A High quality HD signal will look about the same on either set. CRT technology has matured, and has proven to be reliable. Like I said before, if you have the space, then get the Hitachi. If you do decide on the JVC, go with the new model. They made some improvements to it. Costco has the new JVC 52" for 2299.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11067238&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=48 48&hierPath=79*4848*

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 512
Hitachi is releasing the 800 series RPCRTS isoon. I would not be so quick to say that technology is old.....lets say "refined."

The only RPCRT Costco has is the PAnasonic 52" ITs around $1100. HALF the price of the JVC, Frankly I would buy spend the $1100 and wait a couple more years. You will be glad you did. Either way though if You buy at Costco you are covered.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us