TiVo / CableCard / HDTV connection issues

Unregistered guest
Background. I have a Motorala digital Comcast cable box, TiVo, DVD, surround sound receiver, etc. Audio and video currently is fed into a Sony receiver and component video out to TV. I just bought an ED plasma TV which has the HDMI/DVI inputs as well as digital audio inputs and outputs. I want to take advantage of the better picture and sound because the cable audio signal from the STB is fed into TiVo and then to the receiver only as stereo - not 5.1 surround.
The new plasma I bought also has a cable card recepter. Should I (A) split the cable at the wall and have one connected directly to the plasma and get a CableCard and export digital audio from plasma to the receiver. This will get me all my channels directly on the TV and surround sound through the receiver. Now, if I go with choice (A) I will also keep my digital cable box I currently have and feed the other half of the splitter into this cable box and connect my TiVo to the box and output video/audio to receiver. This should allow me to still use my TiVo will all cable channels, but also allow me to take advantage of better audio from the TV. Or, should I try choice (B) and swap my digital cable box for an HD box. If I do this can I feed the HDMI/DVI cable directly into the TV as one input and get a great picture and feed the S-Video output into my TiVo to record shows and continue to output audio and video into my receiver and finally output the video into a component or S-video input on the back of the plasma.

Does this make sense or am I just rambling. Basically: Should I split the cable into my STB and CableCard or get a HD box and export video to two sources (TV and TiVo). I want to keep my TiVo - not get a DVR from the cable company.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us