Are Monster Video cables directional like the audio cables?

Anonymous

I know that Monster Audio cables are directional with the arrows. Does this mean that their video component cables are directional as well? There are no arrows on the component cables but I read somewhere that they were to be hooked up as the print on the cables reads left to right meaning the writing on the cable would be hooked up away from the source? Is this correct? Does this matter with the Monster Video cables or not?

Thanks in advance...

grfunk
Unregistered guest
Audio and Video cables are not directional. Monster cable is a waste of money anyway.

Gold Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 1046
Monster cables are generally overpriced, but depending on installation requirements, may or may not be a waste of money. Some audio cables as per manufacturer's specs are advertised as directional-generally not the case with video cables.

grfunk
Unregistered guest
There are no installations that require Monster cable. There are installtions that require good quality cable but never Monster cable.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1054
Who said that? First learn to read, then respond.

grfunk
Unregistered guest
OK. Let me rephrase it for you. There is no installation that Monster cable would not be a waste of money. Happy?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1058
Not a question of happy or unhappy. Merely a question of accuracy. Your opinion is just that and should be considered for what it's worth.

grfunk
Unregistered guest
Most everything is just an opinion. It's all most of us put out there.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1064
Again, that's your opinion. Not everyone is a relativist. Does a robin fly? Is the answer based on opinion or fact? Guess you get my drift.

grfunk
Unregistered guest
If one has never seen a robin fly, they would have to take your word for it. They fly but do they fly well? Do they fly fast? Is it worth finding one for you to see? That's why God made the 30 day return policy. If Monster cable was the best thing to use, we would be using it in the television industry. Yes, it's very good cable. It's made very well. It has great specs. So does the cable that is half the price. It's my opinion but it's a factual, professional's opinion.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1066
Whether they take my word for it or not does not determine if flight is a fact or opinion. The manner of flight is not the issue,only the fact of flight. I can see that you are not willing or able to fathom the difference. Maybe God will one day grant you that insight. Good luck and keep sending us your opinions. Maybe you will occasionally provide some facts as well.

grfunk
Unregistered guest
Well, maybe you're right. I guess the people in the television industry can't be trusted to have done their own testing. After spending $10 million on digital equipment, who has money left over for cable anyway. We don't really care what our signal looks like or sounds like ya know. We just like playing with the test equipment.

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 325
Dale,
I learned a couple of things, 1 of them was I never heard of directional wiring for audio. Could you elaborate on why they would be directional? I've always just connected audio without paying attention to direction of path.
Usually speaking on the monster cable debate, I only see a benefit if there is a long run of cable involved.

tony278
Unregistered guest
hey cableguy,
how long of a run can i go before i need to change cable?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 326
are you talking coaxial cable or audio/video cables?

tony278
Unregistered guest
audio/video cables.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1074
"Some audio cables as per manufacturer's specs are advertised as directional" Please read my post. I never claimed that the cables were directional. But some manufacturers do and in fact place arrows on the interconnects. Your inquiries should be directed to them. You folks have got to learn to read with comprehension.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 331
dale,
(quote)Some audio cables as per manufacturer's specs are advertised as directional-generally not the case with video cables. I read it, and I never said you claimed they were, what I was asking was why would they need to be directional. I definately don't have a reading comprehension problem, maybe my question was misunderstood? I was just curious as to why they would be directional, but I can read and understand your statement of "Your inquiries should be directed to them, so if you don't know I'm cool with that.

Tony,
my personal opinion is anything over 12feet.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1080
I don't know because I don't understand how electrons could recognize the difference. If the cables are, in fact directional, that suggest to me that the internal construction is different, depending on the way the cable is positioned. Makes no sense to me. But I'm not an engineer. Maybe Jan or Vin can answer this. They seem to know everything. Or at least they think they do.

fx
Unregistered guest
Dale,

Here is the propaganda and explanation by Monster Cables themselves:

What is Time Correct technology?
Monster's way of compensating for something called "Velocity Propagation" or better known as the skin effect. An analog audio signal passing through a copper cable succumbs to this law of physics in which bass frequencies tend to gravitate towards the center of the cable; higher frequencies are forced to the outer portion of the cable. The higher mass bass frequencies create a magnetic field in the center of the cable while traveling through the conductor, which impedes those lower frequencies. This impedance forces those lower frequencies to arrive at their destiny (the speaker or amp) delayed, which causes a mild distortion in the waveform. Monster utilizes multiple gauge windings to help compensate for this distortion. Large, solid-core copper strands in the center for bass frequencies (containing higher mass) and smaller gauges wrapped around the solid core conductor to delay the mid's and high's ensuring that the entire bandwidth of frequencies arrive in uniform.

On a piece of blank paper this looks pretty cool, in real life it is marketing hype.

xvxvxvx

fx
Unregistered guest
In the "For What It is Worth department. If the external shield of an audio cable is tied to only one end of the cable this end should be on the "load" (the speaker)end. As to why I don't know but this construction is a requirement for a cable to have little arrows. :-)

xvxvxvx

Gold Member

Post Number: 1085
fx, you the man.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 333
Dale,
It didn't make sense to me either lol, t'was why I was asking.

fx,
Thanks for the detailed explanation. It pretty much follows the same principles that apply to coaxial RF signals in a cable wire. The lower end of the frequencies ride right along the copper center conductor, while the high end frequencies are located on the outer section, hence the signal loss is -6dB on high end/-1 on low end per 100 feet. Thanks for the info

Gold Member

Post Number: 1088
Cableguy, I apologize for being on the testy side-very rough day at the office. Take care.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 339
No offense taken Dale, but thanks for offering :-) I can relate to the rough day at the office part of things.... Have a good weekend
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us