Toshiba D-R4 and S-Video Passthrough?

Username: Thematt

Post Number: 1
I am hoping someone here can help me with this. I am thinking of purchasing a Toshiba D-R4, mainly to distribute DVDs rather than VCRs to cable-less parents. I am also thinking about getting Comcast's DVR (Motorola dual).

I know I need to connect the DVR to my TV via composite or S-video (no HDTV for me yet), and my TV has only *one* S-video in. What I'm wondering, now, is whether the D-R4 does S-video passthrough while off?

That is, if I connect the DVR S-video out to the D-R4 INPUT-1 S-video in, then the D-R4 S-video output to my TV, will I be able to view the cable box output with the D-R4 off or will the D-R4 need to be on for the S-video to passthrough?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1589
It won't do it while off, nothing will. You need a video switcher with s-video. You can get them at Wal Mart or Radio Shack.

Username: Thematt

Post Number: 2
Aw...okay. I guess I was hoping Mitsubishi had influenced more than they have. I know their old (current?) S-VHS players had S-video passthrough. I always wondered why no one else picked that up.

Is there any sort of degradation due to s-video switches? If so, any brands to look out for?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1591
I haven't used them for s-video, only composite. I didn't see any difference.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us