Here is what I want...Tell me if you think HD is right for me

Username: Madmax69

Post Number: 1
I have had directv on a regular tube (not flat screen) tv for a year now and am comfortable with the picture quality. I have it hooked up with an S Video Cable. I now want to purchase a second tv which will be my main tv with my home theater and the Toshiba is going to the bedroom. I am fine with the picture quality of a good tube tv through Directv...now I've gone to the stores and everybody keeps saying I gotta go HD because next year the signals gonna change....My question is if I buy a 35" RCA regular tv at about $400 am I gonna have to throw it away in a short while...??? Will it cost alot to keep it going (you know they say you will have to convert the hd signal back to analog) Will directv screw me over and then not even their signal will work with analog tvs??? or are these all just scare tactics...i am happy with DVD viewing on a regular tv and video games as well....I just don't wanna throw $400 down the drain if it will become obsolete like really soon so then I would go HD like a Sony Flat Screen or something and sheel out the extra $$$$.....TIA

fx
Unregistered guest
Not HD but digital and no it will not happen next year, or the next or the next after that. Perhaps not even in 2009 like projected. If by some miracle Congress agress to mandate the transistion from analog to digital before then all the current bills floating around Congress include provisions to purchase a digital to analog STB to be given at no charge to all who still own analog TV's.

Now at to your current situation DirecTv is broadcasting digital signals already. You DTV receiver is outputting whatever signal that is compatible with your currect TV. If you buy a new 35" tv set today it will have more than likely have a digital tuner so none of the above will apply to you at all. Even though they may begin a transition to MPEG4 from the current MPEG2 compression methods it still will not affect you. DTV will either contuniue to broadcast in both formats for quite sometime or else they will swap out your reseivers at little to no cost to you.

Do not let them confuse you with HD being the same as all digital transmissions. Yes they are both digital but other than that the similiarity ends.

I hope this helps rather than hurts your head. :-)

xvxvxvx

Username: Madmax69

Post Number: 2
Yes...it helped alot....I am gonna forego HD for now.....I am plenty satisifed with the way regular Directv looks on a non HD TV...I am just gonna make sure that whatever I buy now (analog) has a digital tuner and component plugs...Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us