Samsung DLP Aspect Ratio problems

Anonymous

I have bought the 50inch Samsung Pedestal TV (HLP5085W) and am encountering a problem in Panorama mode ie when 4:3 picture stretched to 16:9. The last 3inch of each side of screen stretches disproportionately, so everything seems "fat/stretched". I rang Samsung and they said this was normal in Projection TVs, but I'm not convinced. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 836
There should be a couple different "Stretch" options. With my JVC, "panaramic" only stretches the last few inches on the edges, so it is like watching though a fisheye lense. There should be a "wide" mode that will evenly stretches the entire picture, and a "zoom" mode that will zoom in cutting the top and bottom of the picture, but but leaving things in their normal shape (no fat people).

Username: Smurf

Post Number: 1
Thanks Mr Lynch- I have the other options you mention, but the fisheye lens is what I am experiencing and judging by your comments, this is normal.

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 319
And this is the state of the "new and improved" technology? Unless you watch HD TV exclusively they are terrible representations of distortavision.

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 837
Great input Tom Bong. How about you try being HELPFUL for once, instead of throwing insults around. By the way, what do own that is so great? How about a "Tom Bong's Kickass setup" thread? I'd like to see what you have.

The reason for the "panaramic" option, is to fill the screen, but leave the center (where the subject usually is) looking normal. It should maily be used for sitcoms and other shows with much action. I personal just run my set in 4:3 format. The black side bars won't burn in like on a CRT.

Lets see what was on today.....
A multitude of College football in High Definition, a couple MLB games in HD, a few new movies on HBOHD, the local news in HD, not to mention playing some Xbox in Widescreen 720p. Yep, not may HD programs around. You can also throw in how good a regular widescreen DVD looks on an HDTV. I don't know where you live Tom, but in a real city, 75% of the shows I want to watch happen to be in HD, with more channels being added all the time.

Username: Smurf

Post Number: 2
Not much HD TV where I live and nothing I can do about that. I have to use crummy standard cable TV, but DVDs look good on HDMI. Still, for a stunning picture, I'll have to get a Pioneer plasma which is expensive, but does what it says in the box. Any takers for a Samsung DLP?

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 325
Well IM very proud of you Lynch. But I do not spend my week ends seeking out the few sports broadcasts and watching therm ONLY becasue they are in HD. NOr do I spend hours in front of a pressing buttons on a controller fantasizing I'am James Bond or another super human out to save mankind. LOL

75% of the shows you watch are in HD becasue people like you LOOK for HD shows to watch.Im surprisd you dont claim 100%. The HBO HD movies I have seen alrady BTW and so most likely has most everyone else. I can't spend Sat and SUN watchong Sports like most other normal people either. More often then not they are shows you would not have normally watched had you not had an HD set. I have read many examples of fan boys here watching shows only marvelling at the PQ not the content....The best PQ is real life...Try walking outside that window to the real world and live your life rather then fantasizing and watching others live theirs eirther in reality or fantasy? How about that PQ?

I have a 52" Toshiba and a GE 36" and a 27 or 32" inch Plasma in the bedroom. The 52 is on a 5.1 system and I watch more movies then anything else on it. Sports on the 36" and late night TV sometimes on the plasma a few hourd a week.

Not enough HD on the shows I watch to even justify watching the plasma all the time in HD. Well swamp buggy racing in HD was kinda cool LOL....GMAB
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us