Samsung and Tom Bong join forces

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 832
After months of research, it has been determined that CRT is the ONLY way to go. In a bold move, Samsung has discontinued their DLP models in favor of the new "Tom Bong" reference line of CRT sets.
Don't worry, all your favorate models from the "Captain Kirk" pedestal set to the compact tabletop models will still be available. Check it out!!! I expect many other manufacturers to follow suit.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

fx
Unregistered guest
Priceless!!!

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member
Username: Jimkw

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 74
I was wondering if I could get the 21 inch Freestanding with the blond cabinet rather than the dark? I can remember having one that looked almost like that one back in the 50's or early 60's. We were the first people on our block to have a TV in 1954. It was a 16 inch round screen. My Dad sold them for Montgomery Ward.

Silver Member
Username: Xgrizzlyx

Post Number: 111
LOL I like the last one

Bronze Member
Username: Turnkey

Roseville, CA United States

Post Number: 17
Oh I love this, Tom Bong has had this coming for some time. I really like the Cpt. Kirk one ROTFLMAO

Silver Member
Username: Fyi

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 255
Bravo! Mr. Lynch

I gotta git me one a those! LMAO-2

Bronze Member
Username: Jimkw

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 75
Driving home from work I saw an old TV out on the curb with a bunch of other trash. All I could think of is how much Bong man would love that TV. I wish I would have had my digital camera. I would have take a picture for him. Tom have you heard of these digital cameras? The are really something. You can take pictures and put them right on your computer.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 834
JimKW-

You should know better than to mention the "D" word around Tom Bong. Everyone should know TB's motto by now: "If it ain't analog, it ain't good."

On another note, my next project is to install a sweet CRT in the headrest of my car. I might put one in the dash too. Does any company make an in-dash motorized 7" CRT?

Bronze Member
Username: Hd_fanatic

Boise, ID

Post Number: 79
Thanks Lynch, I needed a good laugh today! Can't wait to read bong's response. He's probably too busy drooling all over his keyboard looking at those pictures! LOL

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 310
LOL...I wish I had a few of those TVs. They are indeed worth more working or not then any of todays DLP or RP LCDs are worth today or even in 60 years.

Digital is indeed good. I have a digital camera, all digital recording studio, Digital DV video cameras,digital MP3 Player,clocks, watches,digital input speaker monitors even my Samsung refridgerator is digitally controlled!! ......

No..no no.. you have it wrong Mr. JVC Lynch. I think digital is fantastic when implimented correctly to exceed on all fronts what it is supposed to replace in the analog realm. (BTW In many professional audio circles analog circuits and tubes are still very highly sought after and extremily expensive.)

In ALL the above instances I use personally, digital has not only met but exceeded it's replacement in EVERY WAY in ALL applications.

Unfortunatly in the Television world that is not so as of yet. Digital TVs are only better then the ole 480i on ONE source of content. The rest are plainly a poorly scaled and mangled claymation like representation of even a cheap 480i analog CRT. Today's "digital" Tvs actually resort to using moving parts "spinnig colour wheels and chips (micro mirrors flipping on tiny micro hinges) yes even in the "digital" chips). Hardly the digital I know. Oh and projector bulbs harken back way way back....yes even PRE CRT!!! Yeah its modern technological advancement alright.

SED if as promised will be the final natural inline technological replacement of the CRT. ONLY The death of the CRT will be the proof. The CRT is still being made and millions of R&D is being spent developing new CRT technology as we speak. A lot of cash for a dead invalid product. I do not see that R&D going inot cassette, VHS, LAser Disc technology!!!! HMMMMMMMM.

I am convinced those who buy a DLP today will have it in the attic in a couple years right next to their LD Player and collection of Laser discs or wondering if they should have waited it out at least for some compelling HD content!!! At lest VHS and Cassette had a nice run before relagated to antiques. CRT has a 60 year run and still is in most households and being developed.

Hardly the antiques you display in trying to make a point using great humor but terribly flawed logic.

But in the end thats what it takes to buy the RP fixed pixel TVs sets. A great sense of humor and flawed logic.

Silver Member

Post Number: 320
bump

Really funny!
Unregistered guest
A fitting spoof for a CRT fanatic! hehe
I read a post of bong's where he says he owns a Plasma.
That sounds like a fixed pixel set to me.
What a hypocrite!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 843
Tom will trash everyones set, put he won't step up and show what he has. I'd be suprised if it is over a 21" CRT from the late 80's. Prove me wrong TOM BONG!

Silver Member

Post Number: 357
I have a plasma I use maybe 6 hours a week in the bedroom. I have it because it can be hung on a wall. I bought it for less then
It does not look as good as My 8 year old RPCRT Toshiba on standard TV and looks great in HD. I have less issues with real LCD and Plasma becasue they are not projection TVs and do not have the issues of such. The ONLY issue with them as I see it is the PQ of Standard TV. You do not read as many issues on the forums about Plasma and LCD by far. Plasma is most like CRT. SED hopefully will be better then CRT.

I trash DLP and RPLCD becasue they are the "Laser disc" of the Millenium. Wait, watch, and learn.

View thru a bong
Unregistered guest
He's never owned a DLP or an LCD.
All he knows is what he reads.
Less than a hundred come to forums with defects.
The trouble-free ten's of thousands don't.
This is his knowledge base, nothing more.
Narrow view, narrow minded, idiotic nonsense blown out of proportion.
Rudeness, misinformation, and sarcastic ridicule are his tools to discourage those seeking information for a DLP or LCD purchase. He heavily prefers CRT.

I equate his message to a snowy grainy projected CRT image. You can tell what the storyline is, but there's something horribly wrong with the whole picture.

Username: Imustbecrazy

Post Number: 3
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/reviews/20050119/ces_TV.html?pri nt=1&page=all

The prototype we saw was a 36" widescreen set with 720p resolution. Production models (which should begin appearing in very limited numbers by the end of this year) will be in the 50"-55" range, with resolution of 1080p. SED contrast ratio is rated at a mind-boggling 8600:1. The technology is similar to having 2 million tiny picture tubes. An array of electron emitters (one for each pixel) creates images by firing electrons at the phosphor-coated screen.

Hey Tom;

SED "An array of electron emitters"

Will there be burn in? Discoloration because emitters not wearing out uniformly?

Every technology has its limitations.

Bronze Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 90
I imagine that burn-in will be possible on the SED displays because it uses a phosphor-coated screen. From the review on the link posted above, it sounds very promising. The reviewers liked it better than the plasma and the LCD side by side. And a 1 mS response time? Wow, now you got my attention!

Bronze Member
Username: Dlp4me

Post Number: 18
You think that bozo knows anything?
He's intellectualy impotent! LOL
He's way to busy posting excrement on forums.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Not you, HD!
Was talk'n bout bong.

Bronze Member

Boise, ID

Post Number: 91
I figured that's who you were talking about, but thanks for the confirmation.

Silver Member

Post Number: 364
LOL you will know the only replacement for CRT technology soon. YOu will scratch your head wondering how a bozo like me could possibly have known that.

In my opinion burn in will not be an issue as the velocity of electrons will be reduced due to a much shorter path as well the refresh rate will be increased for the same reason.

There will be a lot of DLP and RPLCDs TV's in the classified ads starting in a few months.

MOst of you will all eat your words drooling over the SED technology and some will gnash their teeth kicking their own azzes for not waiting it out. The rest will be in denial. Some are already flaming the flames of denial with the supposed burn in issue. Those will be my favorite whinners

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
I suppose you can Google like anybody else.

Don't bank on SED being trouble free.
It's an electronic device just like the rest.
Comes rolling off the assembly line just like the rest.
It's going to have some glitches just like the rest.

You can't hang your hat on it yet.

DLP has revolutionized the theater industry, the commercial display industry, and now the home theater market since 1996. There are over five million in service from over 75 brands.
It is the prefered method of projection for all these applications. Can't deny it!

DLP will be around for many years.

Silver Member

Post Number: 381
Sight unseen it will be much more trouble free then DLP. Of course you won't see that becasue you made your "informed" choice and feel you made the correct one.

Welcome to the first mistake of your life. It's ok It's human.

DLP belongs in the boardroom. not i the living room. Since 1996 and still has latency,sync,bulb life, Standard TV PQ, eye strain, rainbows, on and on and on......Issues, You would think they would get it right in all that time. It's pretty simple technology really as many have said.

DLP may be around but it's application in the livingroom will go the way of the LAser Disc. Bet on it.

SED will have glitches but not the number and variety of this 10 year old DLP technology. You can bet on that as well.

DLP has not revolutionized anything. Projection is old. Some wiz kid sat in a board room and decided there would be an rush to these TVs by fan boys before they had a chance to realize they were taken. Also realizing the ongoing revenue of thousands of $200 bulbs every year or two.And you are one of them. Enjoy. I'll wait for the natural progression of CRT technology which is still the benchmark all others reference to. That will be SED. Watch read and learn....if you are capable

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Purely speculative, SED fanboy! Purely speculative.

Factual information is absent in your post.

Latency? What the hell is that. Some gameboy's post you read from last year? Where is post after post of this lag, lamp, and eyestrain bullsh!t you talk about? Where is the dedicated thread with multiple listings? Give me the damn link, oh spreader of bullsh!t. I don't see enough to make any of it an overall concern. Looks more like isolated incidents to me.

What's this reference to CRT sh!t?
Hell, it was the ONLY display technology for 50 years. Of course, it was to be matched and surpassed in larger displays. It's all there was.

You're a bullshiter, tom. Plain and simple!

Silver Member

Post Number: 385
Your bright screen is blinding you. YOu have not been around here long have you. The latency issues are still relavant. I cannot reply to you until you do some homework here boy.

YEah I know

YOU LOVE DLP!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Wrong non-existent SED fanboy!

I've been around for years under other names.
Even DLP4me! goes way back as unregistered.

You need to do your homework!

I don't care about adult gamers that had a problem with their generation 2 Samsung DLP's.
You're grouping them all together.
That makes you a bullshiter!!!

Toshiba DLP's don't lag. Never have!
RCA DLP's don't lag. Never have!
Late model Samsung's don't lag. They used to!

See...that makes you a bullshiter! Plain and simple.

Silver Member

Post Number: 396
No that makes you struggle to defend the indefensable. Lag is only one of the many issues with DLP technology, People paid $3000 for TVs (in ignorance) for TVs with issues the manufaturers knew about. They used the consumer to beta test their products. Still are, No support. No refunds.

Thats why I would only buy a new TV from Costco and recommend others do as well since they have an indefinate return period. No EWs just bring it back in four years if it fails....or when it fails or if you arer not satisfied with ANY aspect of the TV. Now there's the only way to own one of these TVs if you must watch American Idol in HD.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
Auto makers use the public to beta test.
Housing contractors do as much.
Why does this young generation think tv's have to be perfect?
Nothing really is, you know.

The "many issues" with DLP are really not that many. Ford just had a recall for the cruise control solenoid switch. Chevy just recalled their underbody coating. Hell, even Cadillac recalled the fuel line.
Big freak'n deal. Who really cares?

Lot's of HD besides American Idol!
I like Bikini Destinations myself.
HDNET is absolutely my favorite.

Costco is a very good idea!
After all, it's cutting edge stuff, you know!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 846
Tom-

Since you seem to be very concerned about PQ, how do you watch SD on your Plasma? If you leave it in standard 4:3, you WILL get uneven wear problems from the black bars on the sides. If you use a "stretch" mode, the picture quality is going to be even worse.
Since you don't have much HD in YOUR area, I assume most viewing is SD. Do you only watch HD on your Plasma? Run to the bedroom when you want to watch "so you think you can dance, or Survivor" in HD? The same issue would apply to any RP CRT sets too.

Have you ever seen a SED set in person? I've been to the CES shows for the past 8 years, and I can tell you that SED is not all that. The image is incredible, but the TVs life span is extremely short. The half life of the image is currently around 5,000 hours. That's worse than the first plasma sets. Once the phosphorus dims, there is nothing you can do but throw the TV away, and pick up a new one. Even if they were to be released tomorrow at a competative price point, they would not do well. Every 5,000 hours of use would you rather spend $200 for a new lamp, or $3000 for a new TV? SED still has many issues that need to be corrected before you will see anything available on the market. It has great potential, but that doesn't mean much if you don't follow though. If you sit around and wait for the "next great thing" you will end up with nothing.

Silver Member

Post Number: 401
It sucks plain and simple. I watch it in 4:3 and wide screen depending on the input. Not worried about burn in on a set I use maybe 4-5 hours a week.

I would not have bought that unit had not I got it so cheap. But it looks more CRT like in quality in my opinion then LCD or DLP.

Those issue you speak of will not be on sets release for sale. SED will develop fast. I am confident they will not release a set with a stated 5000 hour life span.That would spell disaster for the technology and too much has gone into it to have that albratross.

YEs some things are indeed worth waiting for. I did not buy an expensive brick wireless phone until I could get national coverage either. Why buy an expensive anchor when there is no really compelling HD content and THAT is the only source the display looks it's best on.

NO some things are worth waiting for as ALL the technology, content and delivery systems come together. Much like the wireless industry. Now I buy SOTA BT phones on Ebay for way way less then those who had to get in early afraid they were missing something. I did not lose a dime or any sleep not having a wireless phone those first few years. Still would'nt. They are not an absolute neccessity either. Just a convienience.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
Some can't wait it out.
I couldn't wait any longer. My Sony 36" CRT died!
It went green screen and that was it. This was 14 months after my Mitsu 35" went red screen.
When it's time to choose, you have to choose.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 847
Tom-

What part of the country are you in that has very little HD content available? In the Seattle area every major network is in HD, along with a couple of specialty HD networks. Just about every primetime show is in HD, and since we use our HD DVR a lot we rarely watch a SD show. I agree that SD looks bad on HDTVs, but with maybe 15% of our TV viewing being SD, It doesn't bug me much.

Every NFL game shown is show in HD (even last year it was), and between Fox, ESPN, and INHD there is always a MLB game on in HD. There is a huge amount of sports avaible in HD, but I guess that is only a plus to sports fans. I personally find there is always good HD content on TV. It isn't just swamp buggies, and nature shows.

Silver Member

Post Number: 422
I live in Myrtle Beach. SC. No strong OTA signals available.

I do not watch primetime TV much at all. I do enjoy football but Im not one of those who watches all the games available on Sunday. I watch FOX News and CNN. I live on a lake near a beach. Im outdoors a lot doing outdoor things. To tell you the truth I spend 80% of my Home Theater time watching DVDs.

I rent HBO and popular Series show content through NEtflix on DVD as I cannot now nor have ever organized my life schedule around TV shows. So I watch them on DVD. (Watching a whole season of Sorpranos or 24 in three days in much more impactful then waiting a week between episodes).

I do enjoy the clarity of HD but I do not find it content specific in quality and usefulness.

HD is best on content where detail is important to the content like your nature shows I suppose. I could care less about seeing the hairs in Bill O Reily's nose so to speak. ON the other hand, I would rather he not look like a claymation digital puppet either.

I think other then not watching Prime time TV from 8-11 every evening. I am like the average Joe, Who is content with his PQ on whatever he has and does not see the need to make the myriad of hardware and content investments in HD on technology that can be complicated (hookups) and unreliable.

My brother is a good example. This guy is the definition of couch potatoe. He watches all the Prime time stuff. All baseball games, College on Sat and NFL on Sunday. HAS BOTH Cable and Direct TV (for NFL)! He thinks HD is nice but he's happy with his 52" Hitachi RPCRT and does not feel the additional expense, compromises and hassle is worth the picture.

I do think he represents Joe America more then I.His wife hardly watches TV at all.

I would consier making the big jump when all the input content has the same PQ as at least 480P. When HD is not an "extra" tier on PAy TV. When the hardware is proven reliable and less costly.

Silver Member

Post Number: 128
You intellectualy impotent types are fun to mess with, tom! Since you seem to keep repeating yourself to stay in the forefront of the forum, let me assure you that I can do the same.

There are over 5 million DLP's in service from over 75 makers, and you group a few glitches from two forums, form a shallow, narrow minded opinion, and crusade to pan a truly wonderful display revolution. You haven't even owned one yet, but they're all chopped liver to you. Your effort to compare CRT to lamp projector technology and then claim that consumable lamps in DLP's are proof of a flawed technology is absurd. I see where you whine about millions of flipping mirrors, but I can't find a failed DMD chip thread. You cry about spinning color wheels, but I can't find the failed color wheel thread, either. I see where you have grouped Panasonic LCD lamp failures and Sony LCD display failures in with DLP to form your opinions. Honest objectivity is absent from your determinations. You may have convinced yourself that DLP is not one of the highest quality displays in the history of display technology and that's fine. Preaching your non-objective bulshit opinions on others to the extent that you have (455 posts since July) is a whole new twisted motivation that many folks will find disturbing. Perhaps you should consult a professional shrink about this bizzar obsession of yours.

I'm all for anyone choosing the product they want. Makes no difference to me. Until D-ILA LCOS is a faster refreshing proven technology, I'm of the opinion that the DLP display is the absolute best available on the market today. It's a brilliant, sharp, clear, accurately colorful experience with the right signal put to it. It can't even be matched by anything out there in my opinion.

DLP is the superior and preferred projection technology of professional Cinemas. They have billions invested to display content the way that producers and directors intended. With 35 trillion colors (8 times more than film) and no fade or flutter it has surpassed film in reproductive display quality. Having a mini version of that in my home has been an incredible pleasure for me. I highly reccommend that anyone interested in having the very best in home theater consider a beautiful DLP display of their choice. Compliment that with a quality surround sound system and pop some corn. Reasonably priced home theater doesn't get any better!

Silver Member

Post Number: 479
SO predictable.....The Cut and paste routine has been attempted before....it did not work then either.

You have nothing to say. Your association with Texas Imstruments destroys any credibility you might gleen from the excitement of a trillion colors...(BTW they are wasted the human eye cannot detect nearly that many fan boy)

Silver Member

Post Number: 135
LOL

To Those that say
Unregistered guest
I think DLP4me! is a SHILL.

SHILL= Someone who works for a company that cruises the Internet forums doing "damage control", but says they are not associated with any company.

A SHILL I guess could also be someone that has a vested financial interest, such as someone who owned stock, or had a business or whatever to keep the gravy ride from ending.

Silver Member

Post Number: 162
ROTFLMAO!

You're kill'n me, dude!
I'm gonna bust a gut! hehe
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us