HDMI connection/basic cable connection

Username: Jim_hernjak

Wilmington, Nc United states

Post Number: 1
Bought Sony KLV-32MI over the weekend. Swapped Time Warner dvr box for SA 8300 HDDVR box. When I hook up HDMI cable the set will not operate without also screwing in the basic cable line. Is this normal or should the HDMI line be all I need. The reason I ask is the picture last night during the NFL game was the same on HD vs the regular cable. I have heard that Time Warner has been giving out some HDDVR boxes that have not activated the HDMI port. When I put game on HD channel, the cable box showed 1080 as signal but the picture didn't change. TV came straight off floor at Circuit City Saturday directly into my car. Picture just doesn't look right.

FYI- No DVD or receiver hookups are planned. Just Box to TV.

Any help, please.

Keith_Texas
Unregistered guest
I am having the same problem w/ my Samsung DLP and Comcast DVR. The HDMI outlet gives me a 'No Signal or Weak Signal' error message. I have had the Comcast supervisor tech out and the Best Buy tech out. Neither one of them can get this corrected. They both say it is the other person's issue. I am thinking of going to Component for HD and Composite/S-Video for analog channels. I have found that the people responsible for trouble shooting this new technology are not very good.

Bronze Member
Username: Tonis

Colfax, CA

Post Number: 14
I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this stuff, but why would you use composite/S-video for audio, and component for HD? Do you think that there is a big dropoff between HDMI and component? I'm trying to decide if I want to purchase the HDMI card for the Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK I'm going to purchase. Is the improved image quality worth the cost of $175 for the card? I've also thought about purchasing an additional card for the DVD with HDMI. A switching box doesn't seem economical in price compared to buying an additional card. Thanks for any input you can provide.

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 392
John, actually for some strange reason that is normal. You can always drop the coaxial RF cable, and connect a composite wire instead. I think it has something to do with the verification of the device you are connecting to, but don't quote me on it....The HDMI will not work properly if it is the sole connection between the STB and the TV.

Keith, I wish I could tell you what is going on there, are you connected with only the HDMI, or did you try both HDMI and coaxial RF or composite??

Anonymous

I'm looking to buy an "Ilo" flat panel lcd tv made by Walmart, their 26 inch models states its HDTV, while their 32 inch model says its HDMI. Could you tell me what the differance is, and which would be better

Anonymous

"I'm looking to buy an "Ilo" flat panel lcd tv made by Walmart, their 26 inch models states its HDTV, while their 32 inch model says its HDMI. Could you tell me what the differance is, and which would be better"

They are both HDTV. The HDMI is just another jack used to hookup to your other component i.e. STB (satalite or cable box if they too have HDMI). HDMI gives a better picture. It also supplies the audio feed.

Anonymous

Tony B. you said "I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this stuff, but why would you use composite/S-video for audio, and component for HD?" but if you reread Keith_Texas' post he said " I am thinking of going to Component for HD and Composite/S-Video for analog channels."

Analog, not audio.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us