Buying a dlp

Username: Hndsmpete

Post Number: 1
Hey guys well im kinda new to the dlp scene, but i would like to buy one in the next 2 weeks or so. Im lookin at the samsung HL-R5067 looks like a good t.v heres my question...
1. Is it worth it to get the hd2+ chip (i have a budget around 2-2400 Bucks)
Im kinda new so if you guys could help me out, before i buy it id appreciate it.
Is it maybe worth it to go with a lcd, also could afford the sony lcd, i cant decide

Bronze Member
Username: Jimkw

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 70
First of there will be guy who hits the bong come on here and tell you not to buy it. You have to ignore him, he knows nothing whatsoever, but thinks he does.

The HL-R5067 does not use the HD2+ chip. It uses the Enhanced HD3 or sometimes referred to as the HD4. At least I think this is what I have learned. If I'm wrong, somebody will surely correct me. I have been reading here quite a bit as well as on other boards, and if I were to buy one today I would buy the HL-R5067. You can get a real good deal on it if you search pricegrabbers.com. See my thread titled "Is this too good to be true" and follow some of the links in that thread. I brought it back near the top yesterday. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Post Number: 2
Well thats good, ya i have seen in for 1980 with shipping on price grabber, which is why its kinda too good to pass up, any experiences with the video game thing?

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 209
Yeah I will tell you NOT to buy it. Bong knows what he reads and what he reads is right here on this board and others. IF those who are posting with all the issues know nothing then as well I don't because thats where I get my information. Here and at the betteer forum AVS.

There are too many issues. You are way better off with a PLasma for $600 more with a 4 year plus return policy. (Cost Co.) No EW needed just take it back and get a refund or another TV. IF you must have a fixed pixel Plasma is your best bet. No $200 bulbs to replace every year or two. NO extended warranty needed if bought at Cost Co.

Yes You will be sorry if you jump on the RP fixed pixel wagon.. In about 6 months to a year. Bookmark this post.

Post Number: 3
Any other advice guys, plasma's are to damn expensive, so its dlp/lcd or something else, some of you guys help me out. Like i said i do want to play some video games from time to time.

Anonymous

Jesus Christ Tom Bong. If anyone reads ONE single post in here we get your opinion. Please try to keep your annoying posts limited to one per thread! You are making this stuff unreadable.

Anonymous

Hey Tombo, have you ever bought a DLP and tried it out for a few years to report any problems? How about buying that plasma from Costco and then trying to take it back in three years without a warranty and just walk out with a new TV?
You speak form such a lack of experience it is sickening. Great, you have a RPCRT and have had good luck with it and would buy it again, blah blah blah. For every one of you there are 10 more who have ahd horror stories with RPCRT, or DLP or Plasma or LCD!!! Buy the TV you like and can afford. Watch it. Enjoy it. If it breaks, return it, repair it or buy a new one. Period.

Anonymous

Hey Tombo, have you ever bought a DLP and tried it out for a few years to report any problems? How about buying that plasma from Costco and then trying to take it back in three years without a warranty and just walk out with a new TV?
You speak form such a lack of experience it is sickening. Great, you have a RPCRT and have had good luck with it and would buy it again, blah blah blah. For every one of you there are 10 more who have ahd horror stories with RPCRT, or DLP or Plasma or LCD!!! Buy the TV you like and can afford. Watch it. Enjoy it. If it breaks, return it, repair it or buy a new one. Period.

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 220
NO I would not consider buying less then a whole TV that can't display ALL sources with equal PQ an have to pay $200 and more a year in addition for the privilage! The posts from actual suckers are all the "experience" I need.

OH and yes Costco will take back ANY product INDEFINATELY and has. Call them. You're wrong if you think I am exaggerating this one. They make nearly a BILLION dollars in membership fees alone. They can afford their very very generous return policy.

NO there are not 10 people with CRT issues for every one happy one. I have not seen that reflected anywhere regarding CRTs. This and AVS PROVES again you are wrong. There are however way too many issues within the first few months to two years with the DLP?RPLCD displays, Way too many issues.

I am not asking anyone to believe me. I am asking them to read the forums and sift through the rah rah. Anyone with an open mind who reads these forums will see what they see.

Oh and I would not call a $2600 50 Plasma with LG glass expensive at all. Thats what you can get one for at Costco and yes you can return that TV if it craps out three and a half months or years from now. Call CostCo. Don't believe me. There are threads by actual people who have done this as well. After visiting Costco myself I found it is a fact.

Call them. But do report your findings here so all can see who's blowing smoke.....

Against the Rant
Unregistered guest
Don't believe tom bong!
He's a ranting repetative idiot.

I'm not sure why he keeps repeating false information. It seems more like a self affirmation of his own propaganda.

He acts like he's on some kind of self appointed mission to save us from technology advances.

What a total moron!

Buy what you want, when you want it.

Post Number: 4
Im thinkin about gettin a mitsubishi also any experences with those? I want a tv that doesnt have syncing up issues with video games, because i will play them from time to time. Any suggestions guys

Tom bong, listen i dont care what your saying so save your time and dont bother posting,. If your such a die hard crt fine why dont you just stay in the crt forum and not come in here and make it easy on us, who do want the new technology

Username: Stevea

Post Number: 7
Buy a DLP! You'll love it! With my Tosh 52HM84, there's no screen artifacts, no fan noise, no "clay-like figures" (or whatever), no distortion, no other issues I can think of to interfere with anything. The bulb is covered under warranty for a year; I'm not worried about it. There's only high quality AV, just like I wanted. The SD is very watchable. HD and DVD/HDMI are awesome. If you want a gray, washed-out, dim picture, please buy a RP/CRT like Mr. Bong wants you to.

I'll agree with one thing (and only one) that Mr. Bong brings up: HD programming sucks. There's not enough of it, and half of it is wasted on a bunch of sit-coms and game shows I could care less about.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us