Samsung 42" HLR4266W - I'm a "noob", I need help

Username: Kevinp

Post Number: 1
I'll admit I'm a "newbie" when it comes to HDTV, and my main reason for purchasing one is for GAMING, most notably XBOX 360 coming out in November.

Are there any problems with DLP in general or this model experiencing "LAG" on video games?

I want to get in for $2,000 or under and wanted to make sure this was a quality model that doesn't have any problems, quirks, etc.

Also, do I need a "built in tuner" if I'm going to hook up a HD cable box to it?

Thanks everyone in advance for their help.

Silver Member
Username: Tombo777

Post Number: 202
Another one bites the dust. Those TVs are nothing but quirks. HAve you even read AVS or this forum. You are going to get the fan-boys telling you it's a great TV. Then you will spend 10%or more every year or two to keep it running. Would you do that with any other product you buy?

Bronze Member
Username: Jimkw

Columbus, Ohio USA

Post Number: 67
I know that my son in-law has an older Samsung DLP (about 2 years old), has never had any problems whatsoever, plays games on it, gets a great HD picture and has never spent a dime on it since new.

The best advise I can give you is to ingnore this Bong Head guy. There are others on here than know what they are talking about. He is not one of them. He just puts down people for buying anything other than RP CRT. You know the crappy picture sets with burn-in problems.

Post Number: 2
Jim,

Thanks. My friend bought 3rd generation Samsung, which was HLP 5663W (56"), so I wanted to know what improvements/differences there were with the HLR series, (plus my previous questions).

Silver Member

Post Number: 211
Kevin You need to read the forums including AVS before you buy based on price and especially if you are price concious...any DLP or LCD projection TV

But hey Its your money. There are more posters then I who feel DLP is not reliable. Just read the threads thats all. If you still want to jump so be it. BUT RESEARCH and do not accept mine or any fanatics word by itself. Get a universal feel.

Post Number: 3
Honestly, I stumbled onto this forum by random chance on a GOGGLE search. If you have links to other palces that could help me our with research, feel free to point me in that direction.

P.S. - Where/what is AVS forum?

Post Number: 4
Cancel that request, I found the AVS forums. Apparently some people don't like this particular model. Good to know.

Silver Member

Post Number: 215
Yes you need to read through the fan-boy drivel and "rationalization" to get a clear picture (no pun intended) of the compromises and costs of the technology. I did and thats why I implore guys like you to read as many threads as possible as did to get a real feel for the technology.

Also read the RPCRT and Direct View CRT threads you will find they have issue as well but those issues seem to be on TVs much older (7-10 years) for the most part.

AVS has some excellent threads on all the technology. This forums seems more of a rah rah DLP/LCD forum. AVS posters are more knowlegable and less rah rah from what I have read.

IN my opinion from what I have read PLASMA is a better and more reliable technology if you have to have a fixed pixel technology.

Silver Member

Post Number: 216
Burn in is not the issue many would have you believe. Read the sticky thread on the subject over at AVS.

IF you want the overly contrasted, mega Bright, in your face comic book picture of DLP on a CRT you will be a candidate for burn in. If you want TV as a film medium and more realistic with deep blacks and normal contrast CRT is still the way to go. All the new TVs are still using CRT picture contrast and black levels as a reference...Wonder why?

Against the Rant
Unregistered guest
Don't believe tom bong!
He's a ranting repetative idiot.

I'm not sure why he keeps repeating false information. It seems more like a self affirmation of his own propaganda.

He acts like he's on some kind of self appointed mission to save us from technology advances.

What a total moron!

Buy what you want, when you want it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us